Bachmann 'encouraged' in Iowa
Michele Bachmann attends a reception for Iowans for Tax Relief.
January 22nd, 2011

Bachmann 'encouraged' in Iowa

(CNN)-Republican Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann made political waves in Iowa with a visit to the capital city Friday, raising speculation of a possible presidential run in 2012.

"I am very encouraged by what I heard and the level of support that I saw today," Bachmann told the Des Moines Register.

The tea party favorite sounded much like a presidential candidate while addressing the Iowans for Tax Relief group Friday night.

"It is not too late to change course and save this great nation. I believe we can preserve this exceptional nation-this land of promise–for our children and grandchildren, she said. "We've got this tiny window of opportunity and the tea party patriots are saying, 'We have to take our country back.'"

Ties to the first-presidential-caucus state may serve Bachmann well should she choose to run. Born in Waterloo, she summoned her Iowa roots stating, "I feel like I know you, because I was born here. I was raised here. These are my values. I feel like we understand each other."

Bachmann maximized her visit to Des Moines by spending time at the Iowa Capitol in meetings with the governor, house and senate leadership. She also traveled to the state GOP headquarters.

And she doesn't plan to be a stranger to the Hawkeye state. She plans to participate in a series of lectures for presidential candidate prospects held in Iowa in April.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. Crooked Bridge

You've got a problem when the democrats want you to run

January 22, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  2. todd

There are a lot of democrats that hope she runs

January 22, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. Pedro

Bachman and the rest of these tea party candidates will make it easy for Obama to win the 2012 presidential election

January 22, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. MAC

She would make a great fiscal conservative candidate, but the liberal bias media have already shown their colors when it comes to giving Michele Bachmann getting a fair chance. That Color Is Blue! On the side, I have to say the media did a good job reminding us of JFK's greatest statement "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country!" That statement shows the difference between Americans then and now, especially the democratic party which tells you what your country can do for you! It is too bad the media did not make that comparison.

January 22, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Shannon Ferguson

Yes, be encouraged! Please run so the people who have had the wool pulled over their eyes and believe there is sanity in the republican party can get some enlightenment on what you're really all about. Tin foil hat, anyone?!

January 22, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  6. Brian

So, after each election where someone says "take our country back" and wins, at what point have we gotten our country back?

January 22, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. A keen observer

The republican dream ticket: Bachmann and Palin.

January 22, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. Gil

More Laughables in the Repulsive Party. Bachmann will probably do well in Iowa since it is so close to Minnesota, but really people, this woman has the crazies!

January 22, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |