Powell won't commit to Obama in 2012
January 23rd, 2011

Powell won't commit to Obama in 2012

(CNN) - Retired Gen. Colin Powell is not prepared to back President Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential campaign.

The former secretary of state under former President George W. Bush endorsed then-candidate Obama in the 2008 election, but said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union" that he will wait to make a decision on whom to support in the next presidential election.

"I'm not committed to Barack Obama. I'm not committed to a Republican candidate," Powell told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. "I am not committed to any candidate until I see all the candidates and finally see who the two candidates are who are going for this position."

"Right now I do not see on the Republican side any one individual who I think is going to emerge at the top of the pile," Powell added.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: Colin Powell • TV-State of the Union
  1. Lawrence Kagawa

Mr. Powell can't support Obama or a Republican candidate in 2012 yet, because he has yet to toss his hat into the ring. Mr. Powell is the right choice.

January 23, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. diridi

what is the big deal about Powel....o.k, People should support...it is not Powel....o.k, nor Bush...what an idiotic questions, and answers CNN has...it is a democratic land....that elected him, for which he is doing great job so far....I vote and support for him, because of health care passage, Fin. Reg. Passage...o.k, economy is reeling back to good....Dish net when i called, went to Kentucky...which previously went to India....GOP thugs shipped jobs to India....Aware of it...

January 23, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  3. Felix

General Colin Power is not ready to support any candidate in the next election, I think that is good idea he is a Republican in economy issue and a Democrat in social issue. I have the feeling that he will not support any candidate that is leader of the Tea Party this is a man that reached the highest point in the Military and one of the highesr post in Civilian life and he well know how he has to jump barriers and the most I like about him is that he never separated himself of his humble roots.

Ideassoul

January 23, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  4. Greg

Colin Powell is the voice of reason. I would love to see him run for president as an independent. It would force the two major parties to the center. Perhaps reason,sanity and civility would prevail instead of this whacked out extreme left and extreme right mentality that prevails in modern politics.

January 23, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. Anonymous

What about you Mr powell? Last election I voted Obama but I definately would vote for you should you chose to run. Reason; You have a wealth of outstanding credentials. You are a Gentleman, an Excellent politician, you have a through working knowledge of our military, You have. patience, common sense and a excellent knowledge of the world situation and problems.You are a person who could hit the ground running as soon as you took office. Please run for the sake of this country.

January 23, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  6. TJKimball

" Top of the Pile " was a perfect description .. as in " a large steaming pile " .. ( and no I'm not a Democrat .. lifelong Republican )

January 23, 2011 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. Chris

I make sense, I mean he is a Republican and do you not think he should see who his party is going to put up before making a decision? I mean seriously, in 08 it was a no brainer McCain along with Palin was not going to win!!! LOL ...CNN needs to stop trying to make something out of nothing!! Jeez!! On top of that, who do they have? NO ONE!!! I mean the American public has seen all their candidates and know them and what they stand for and short of the President doing something crazy in the next two years, it is a wrap!!! LOL

January 23, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  8. Marc

I'm stunned! Based on the fact that Powell and Obama share little other than race in common, why would Powell change his stance? Isn't the President still black?

January 23, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  9. malabar

Whatever. who believes he wants to be Uncle Tom again to the civil left? hahaha, hypocrisy suits him and dems so well, this game is quite meaningless

January 23, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  10. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I'm a STRONG Obama supporter, and have not yet seen a Republican I could consider supporting for President in 2012, but:
    GOOD FOR HIM! He's a Republican (and a Black Man), he MIGHT want to support his party.
    I used to think HE would make a good President (till the UN thing). He is generally a good man who deserves our respect for reserving judgment on the future.

January 23, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. JSP

You mean old "fairweather" Powell won't be supporting the President in 2012? What a surprise. Pfft...Who needs Colin Powell anyway? He's a has-been with no new ideas to offer, and he has been reduced to just another television pundit. Good riddance, fairweather.

January 23, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. xnome

How about you Mr Powell.? Last election I voted Democrat but I would vote for you should you chose to run. In you I see a : statesman, a politician who has an excellent grasp of events,A man who has a comprehensive knowledge of our military and its challenges. A man who is thoughtful, meticulous and extremly intelligent. You are a man who is capible of taking over at once and could guide this country through these difficult times

January 23, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  13. hannah

Powell is a traitor to America, always has been. He testified for George Bush at the UN saying that there were WMD's. He lied and sold this country out and has no credibility anymore. I used to think highly of him but no more.

January 23, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. megan

Mr. Powell is the smartest man that the gop has to offer. I pray that god lead you to may a good choice.

January 23, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. Whatever

He is a smart man!! A true military man – – see strategy first before going all in. Good for him!! Why say who you will support just yet...

January 23, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  16. Rodney DeShields

I would just like to say that Mr.Obama is doing very well at his job you just have some people out there that think things are suppose to change over night but Mr.Bush did it to the country but I don't see people mad at him. I thank it is a lot of bull-- get real. Good job Mr.obama I like you and you will get my vote.

January 23, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. AMERICA 1st

Gen. Powell for president!

January 23, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. NorCalMojo

Earth to Colin Powell, Earth to Colin Powell

Your career is over.

Over

January 23, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. Diane Beard

Sounds like he just hasn't made up his mind. But I suppose "Powell is undecided" wouldn't make headlines the way that "Powell won't commit to Obama in 2012" does. Shame on you Gabriella Schwarz for your biased lead in. Why not report that Powell is "not committed to a Republican candidate" as it says later on in the article? Or include in the first paragraph the quote "Right now I do not see on the Republican side any one individual who I think will emerge at the top of the pile." Oh right, that would anger the Faux News deities and lead people to believe that the article contains * gasp! * unbiased and accurate reporting. Stop with the sensationalism.

January 23, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. e01938

General Powell caved when reporting on WMD to world leaders. Imagine if he had stood up and said: "I can't do this – the facts are just not there." Your moment for courage passed you by, Colin

January 23, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  21. AMERICA 1st

Pewee Herman would make a better prez thanobama

January 23, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  22. annie s

Why is that bad? He is a Republican and wants to see who they put forward before making up his mind. I suspect that after the heat Mr. Powell took for his endorsement of Obama in 2008, he merely wants to be careful and not stir the pot. ...and he didn't exactly sound thrilled with the list of Republicans who've expressed interest so far.

January 23, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  23. Dave Wittekind

Why is that a "surprise"? Colin Powell is a bright man who weighed the options for 2008 and saw Obama as the superior choice. It would be idiotic of him to endorse an Obama candidacy at this point when a GOP challenger is far from being chosen.

January 23, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Thus far the Republicans most of the Republicans who ran for the presidency in the past lost badly and Rick Santorum lost in the midterm elections. Newt spent his political capitol as Speaker of the House in an adultress affair and then theirs Palin who served 18 months as a governor before quitting and is about as qualified to be president as her children. Republicans have spent too much of their time fooling around with Falin Palin and you'd think these highly educated men and women would have known better after she caused John McCain the presidency.

January 23, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  25. Andrew

Republicans are pieces of sh*t. Obama will easily win again in 2012.

January 23, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |