Kucinich vs. the olive
January 26th, 2011

Kucinich vs. the olive

Washington (CNN) –Dennis Kucinich is no fan of pit-filled olives - and now he's doing something about it: Taking one of Congress' cafeterias to court.

In 2008, the Ohio Democrat purchased a sandwich wrap filled with those olives at the cafeteria inside the Longworth Office Building. After biting into the wrap, he cracked a tooth, according to the legal complaint.

Now he has come forward with a $150,000 lawsuit against the cafeteria - run by Restaurant Associates and other groups - for providing "dangerous" sandwiches.

According to the complaint, reported by Courthousenews.com, the sandwich wrap was "unwholesome and unfit for human consumption, in that it was represented to contain pitted olives, yet unknown to plaintiff contained an unpitted olive or olives which plaintiff did not reasonably expect to be present in the food prepared for him, and could not visually detect prior to consumption."

As a result, Kucinich received "serious and permanent dental and oral injuries requiring multiple surgical and dental procedures, and has sustained other damages as well, including significant pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment."

No word yet on what sort of enjoyment was lost.

A Kucinich spokesperson told Gawker that he has "no comment other than to say this is a private legal matter."

Filed under: Congress • Dennis Kucinich
  1. LGNY

How does he come up with $150,000? My dentist recently charge me about $150 for the comparable repair.

This is a crook trying to find a way to replenish his defense fund.

January 26, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  2. lucy2

You have got to be kidding me. By all means they should cover his dental bills, but $150,000?????

January 26, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. Dennis

Typical Democrat. It's always someone else's fault. No personal responsibility.

January 26, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. S. In California

As stupid as he appears he is RIGHT on this. If I cracked a tooth, I would do something about it too.

January 26, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Rickster

What a puke Kucinich is....typical democrat, trying to bilk someone out of their money. Disgusting.

January 26, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. jorge washinsen

I understand very well about his tooth problem and he has a right to compensation.

January 26, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. gary

Takes two years to fill a lawsuit. I know that he is not that busy. In the present day of everyone sueing at the drop of the hat over nothing, this congressman supports my concept of politician greed. The cafeteria should be required to pay all his medical expenses and nothing else. To hell with the pain and suffering and especially the lack of enjoyment bull. I use to have great respect for this congressman, but now I have place him on the never-ending growing list of people in congress who do nothing, talk endlessly in front of cameras, while saying nothing, and still think they earn their overblown salary.

January 26, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Doug

I swallowed a watermelon seed from a "seedless" watermelon...major pain and suffering...who do I call?

January 26, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. The Real Tom Paine

2 things:

1-He is the liberal version of Michelle Bachman.
    2-Is he bloody serious? A million things to take care of in this country, and a lawsuit over a chipped tooth and a stray olive is his main concern? He deserves to lose his district over this revelation, and I am a Dem.

January 26, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. AGeek

$150K!? ::sigh:: This is why we need to ban lawyers from DC.

January 26, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. speekers

He doesn't have anything more important to do...?

January 26, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. Mickey, NY

Oh, Puleeeese! Even the damn jars of "pitted" olives say the olives may contain pit fragments! Just another frivolous lawsuit...

January 26, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Protect and Defend Freedom of Speech in the USA

I agree with Kucinich. Dummies shouldn't be putting pitted olives in ANYTHING, let alone a sandwich. Go get 'em Dennis!

January 26, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. Duck Fallas

"loss of enjoyment"? With a wife that looks like that? Ain't a jury in the land that will buy that one.

January 26, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. T'sah from Virginia

"...oral injuries requiring multiple surgical and dental procedures, and has sustained other damages as well, including significant pain, suffering and loss of enjoyment."

==========

Maybe his LOST of ENJOYMENT was him NOT being able to "chew out" on the RIGHT!!! (joke – so LAUGH!!)

January 26, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. PHinMiami

"Come On Man", . . . . . $150. K ???? Guess we need tort reform on torts. Get the tooth fixed and move on, you've just become part of the bigger problem of suit-happy Americans. SHAME ON YOU!

January 26, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. John 1776

There's this thing called bad luck. Not everything requires a lawsuit. Cracked a tooth myself eating Popcorn at a movie. Bummer. Last thing that would come to my mind would be to sue the theater. The sad part is, most of the legal fees will end up on the taxpayer's dime. It's not like they will punish the person who made the wrap. Not that they should, it was just a mistake.

January 26, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. Diana

Grow up you greedy man...a lot of people have cracked a tooth biting onto an olive pit, myself included.

Life happens.

January 26, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. WellmanBroad

It is my understanding that Congressmen get gold plated medical coverage. Mr. Kucinich was probably not charged a dime for the cost of the repairs. This is purely about getting money from taxpayers to compensate for his suffering. From an olive pit.

January 26, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. Moon

Typical Democrat and another reason why lawyers own their party. Always suing to get their way. This is why we will never get any lawsuit reforms. Kucinich is a dirtbag. He will be suing next because his wife is a foot taller than him. haha

January 26, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. Tony in Maine

Who do you think you are Mr. Kucinich – the CEO of Goldman Sachs or (gasp) Exxon? If their tooth is cracked the head of the chef would be offered along with a check for the assets of the company. The idea that a mere Congressman and a Democrat at that should require compensation.

BTW – if he gets 150K which he won't, by the time his attorneys finish taking their "bite" out of it he might be left with enough to pay the dentist.

January 26, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  22. TV

As a conservative Democrat, I think what Senator Kucinich is doing is totally ridiculous. Wouldn't this be considered one of those frivolous lawsuits President Obama was talking about during his State of the Union speech? Come on. Ask for the recovery of your dental bill and move on with life.

January 26, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. Andrew

Ok, cracking a tooth sucks, it hurts, and you always are afraid of doing more damage to it, but 150k is remarkably extreme for a chipped tooth. Should you use pitted whole olives in sandwiches, HELL NO (because it'd be very easy to chip a tooth), but does chipping your tooth really require a hundred fifty thousand dollar lawsuit? Really?

January 26, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Steve-O

I broke a tooth six years ago eating a hamburger that had a huge bone in it at my work cafeteria. I guess I was brought up differently, but I just blew it off as a fluke. I guess you have to be a lawyer, politician or just plain lazy to waste taxpayer dollars with something as frivilous as this!?!

January 26, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. Kwesoe

There is this thing called Fate. Last week, the bartender spilled beer on my $1000 suit. The next day, my car ran out of gas even though the fuel gauge read full. Following that, my barber gave me a Mohawk. When I got home, I went to the bathroom and I seem to take forever to unzip my pants so I peed on myself. I was so angry I laughed at myself and thanked God.

January 26, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |