Thune getting closer to presidential decision
January 27th, 2011

Thune getting closer to presidential decision

(CNN) – To those keeping a list of when potential presidential candidates are going to announce their intentions, pencil South Dakota Sen. John Thune in at the end of February.

Thune, who rivals Mitt Romney in the I-look-like-a-president category, told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt Wednesday he will decide by the end of February.

"I've told people I don’t have a definite timeline or deadline out there, but it strikes me, at least, for somebody like myself who’s not known, and would have to work a lot harder at getting known,” said Thune.

Several recent polls show Thune among the bottom of the presidential pack, a reflection of the South Dakota senator’s little name recognition beyond his home state.

So when can we begin to see the ball rolling on Republican primary campaigns?

Here’s CNN’s round up of those who have given hints:

Mike Pence: End of January

Mitch Daniels: “Before May”

Mitt Romney: “We’re looking at different dates

Mike Huckabee: No decision until the summer

Sarah Palin: Not ready to make an announcement

Newt Gingrich: Late February

Tim Pawlenty: In the coming months

Rudy Giuliani:  “Evaluate… as the year goes along”

Haley Barbour: “Next few weeks or months”

Filed under: 2012 • John Thune
  1. Dave

Yeah, godd reason to vote for someone....they look presidential. Sheeeesh.

January 27, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA - John "The Weeper of the House" Boehner

You may look presidential, but you and your party are dumb as a doorknob. You've got "Fascist" written across your forehead Thug, I mean Thune.

January 27, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. PalmReader

Thune is best suited to run against Obama. Not to say I'll be voting for him, but SOMEONE will have to run. Thune - should he decide to run - will cause the least damage to the Republican Party. He can't win, though. None of them can.

January 27, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. james Miller

Run for President !!!!! Why not, -- everyone else is doing it.

January 27, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. S. In California

And just think: I thought I would have NOTHING to laugh about today. It gets funnier as the day goes on.

Today is Thursday, Jan. 27, 2011 and the republicans STILL haven't found an answer for/to our president.

January 27, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. truthspeaker

Thune would be a GREAT president

January 27, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. whatnext

So the whole Republican party's running for president. That should work.

January 27, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

What has any of these idiots done for our country lately. They use the 3 CCC's, complain, campaign and collect money and that sums up exactly what they do for themselves and I like many Americans are sick of all of them.

January 27, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  9. Margie

Most people in this country are upset about religion being forced on us by politicians. What do you think would happen if Thune got in. He is the most practicing Evangleican religious person in this country. Don't tell me he wouldn't rant and rave and make religion more of a part of government. Those people are very intelligent when it comes to forcing their views on people.

January 27, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  10. SPLAT!~

I encourage all of the above to run and come to Iowa! And bring your checkbooks!~

January 27, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Clark

Thune fans please check out my site thune2012.blogspot.com for all the latest Thune 2012 news!

January 27, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. NameEdward

Anyone but failin palin please

January 27, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. Trevor

And the devils comes out in troves...

January 27, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. dudh

Quite a list. Don't forget Bachman, Angle, Goofy, and Mickey. Maybe if they all ran together, they could beat Pres Obama. Maybe not.

January 27, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  15. Danny Cali

I don't think you look like President but you want to be President. So, I think you going to get knock out by Second round.

January 27, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |