Bush daughter supports gay marriage
January 31st, 2011

Bush daughter supports gay marriage

(CNN) – Former President George W. Bush's daughter Barbara is appearing in a new web video in support of gay marriage.

The 20-second spot released Monday is sponsored by the Human Rights Campaign, a civil rights organization that works to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality.

"I'm Barbara Bush and I'm a New Yorker for marriage equality," Bush says. "New York is about fairness and equality and everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love. Join us."

The video is part of a larger set of testimonials from New Yorkers including Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Whoopi Goldberg, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Kenneth Cole and Julianne Moore.

A statement from the group says, "Barbara Bush joins prominent Republicans like her mother Laura Bush as well as Dick Cheney and Ted Olson as supporters of marriage equality."

Bush's daughter, twin to Jenna Bush, is the latest Republican offspring to voice support for gay marriage, an issue her father campaigned against in his reelection bid. Meghan McCain, daughter of former GOP 2008 presidential nominee Sen. John McCain and Mary Cheney, daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney have also been outspoken supporters of same-sex marriage. Mary Cheney is openly gay.

– CNN's Dana Bash and Gabriella Schwarz contributed to this report

Filed under: Barbara Bush • Gay rights
  1. gerald

Why should we care about her opinion? God's opinion is the one that counts and he told adam and eve be fruitful and multiply. Gays cannot be fruitful. God has no command for them to marry or form any contractual relationship. In fact he makes it clear their unions are an abomination. They are against the way God created man and woman.

January 31, 2011 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  2. T'sah from Virginia

Most kids are usually "opposite" from what their parents are. Look at McCain's daughter Meghan. Some do it out of rebellion – others do it because they do not see the same barriers. Therefore, we should pay more attention to our kids – they are the future!!!

I learned a lot from my kids who used to call me a racist because I did not want them dating out of their race. Now I have six out of eleven grandchildren that are interracial (black/white). I learned a lot and now I see the world differently – (but I won’t go as far as “loving” a RepubliCAN’T – I will tolerate SOME but MOST are HEAD STRONG and DEAD WRONG – in my opinion!!

We are all ONE and it should not make a difference as to who we LOVE!!

January 31, 2011 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  3. michael

good for them. perhaps this will shame the ultra right wingnuts into silence.

January 31, 2011 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  4. Aaron

The only thing that comes to mind over this development is that the Bushes and their croonies have found a way to make money off of treating gays like people.

January 31, 2011 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  5. Reush

Good for her! Glad to see people take a stand for equality!

January 31, 2011 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  6. John Ellis

Hmmm. Well I suppose she can expect to get dissed by her Dad, as we have seen when former aides buck him, they get cut off and attacked. The beauty part is no one will note it much.

January 31, 2011 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  7. ScottC543

Good for her!

February 1, 2011 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  8. TJLNSD

There is hope for the future of this country yet! Thank you Barbara for supporting equality for all Americans. It's what America is truly supposed to represent.

February 1, 2011 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  9. Tony in Dallas

I never thought I would be expressing gratitude to or congratulating President Bush. But having his daughter Barbara lend her name and support fairness, equality, and justice for all Americans including gay Americans, is a tribute to President and Laura Bush having instilled in their daughter tolerance, understanding and courage in speaking out for justice.

My thanks President and Mrs. Bush. And above all to Barbara, their courageous daughter, you make your parents and your nation proud.

February 1, 2011 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  10. litebluesky

People who support homosexuality usually do so because they recognize that they too have allowed evil into themselves and are unwilling or feel they are incapable of leaving that evil – could be heterosexual sin in nature or practically anything else.

February 1, 2011 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  11. yaho

Oh...isn't she from a conservatist family and state......what can we say about this new generation.....I guess our society is more dynamic than anything......

February 1, 2011 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  12. Joshua Ludd

Oh, but remember... Daddy FlipFlop supported gay marriage as a states' rights issue before we legalized it in Massachusetts. Then he decided just as soon as a single state actually used their rights that he supported a constitutional amendment against gay marriage.

February 1, 2011 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  13. A Real American

Thankfully, bigotry isn't genetic!

February 1, 2011 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  14. midwestmatt

The opponents of same sex marriage need to hang it up.

It's over, guys, give it up.

February 1, 2011 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  15. David in Reality

I've always like Barbara. It's good to see her show her support!

February 1, 2011 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  16. Bill from GA

Are her eyes REALLY that blue?? I always thought she was nice looking, but are her eyes REALLY THAT BLUE??

Nice looking lady. She's entitled to her opinion; that's mine.

February 1, 2011 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  17. chuck

How convenient to wait until years after their fathers have left the bully pulpit to express their 11th hour opinions about same-sex marriage. These are half gestures with little appeal to long time human rights activists who have spent their lifetimes fighting to point out the portions of the constitution to Republican politicians which state that all men are created equal. Civil rights activists and their Democratic political allies could only muster 8 Republican Senators to recognize American gay men and women fighting on the front lines of two wars as deserving citizens of equal rights, equal protection and freedom of association. The sad reality is that the conservative Christian Republican party would gladly and without reservation deny fellow gay American citizens the few things they hold dearest to their hearts – family, liberty and the pursuit of happiness in a world where life is short and where recognition of a loving spouse can make that life much more meaningful. Mary Cheney is a joke. That is all I can say about her.

February 1, 2011 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  18. Paul

She's really pretty. That's one of the most sensible things I've heard a Bush say in years.

February 1, 2011 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  19. Andrew

Silly girl. Why is it that prominent conservatives so often seem to have derelict children? It's pretty clear that President Bush has lost his daughter.

February 1, 2011 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  20. Vince

Thank you Barbara... You make moderate Republicans like me proud, who care not for the social issues impacted by subjective interpretations of ethics and morality, but rather for those that actually affect the socio-economic well-being of our nation. Republicans, look to taxation and smaller government, and away from petty issues and Biblical quests for a "moral" Christian world... I'm a New Yorker and a Republican, and I support Barbara Bush and gay marriage/rights.

February 1, 2011 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  21. Jacob

Do you know why this Bush supports gay marriage? Because she lives in a city and works in an industry where she is surrounded by loving, talented, caring gays and lesbians every day of her life. And she sees first hand how denying a group their equal rights to love, life and happiness is WRONG!

February 1, 2011 04:07 am at 4:07 am |
  22. sad

She's silent for how many years and this is the only thing she can "come out" about? I didn't know Laura was a fan either. Too bad. This country has taken a sky-dive.

February 1, 2011 04:35 am at 4:35 am |
  23. Gwen R. Brown

Thanks for the post. We all know that America is a liberated country and gay marriage is a usual thing here. Probably, Barbara might have some reasons why she does such. If I were her, I will do the same actually. I will actually support gay marriage as well. I would have to inform my friends about it also. For sure they will do the same.

portable keyboards

February 1, 2011 04:44 am at 4:44 am |
  24. delores peck

wow, this took me by surprise

February 1, 2011 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  25. Sam

Any time a "staunch" Republican comes in favor of Gay marriage I have mixed feelings. I am glad that they support, but still question their intent? Is it because they are gay themselves and now all of a sudden they want the support OR it is really genuine?

Either way, in the final analysis, I am glad!

February 1, 2011 06:17 am at 6:17 am |