Romney up on Palin
February 1st, 2011

Romney up on Palin

(CNN) - Former Republican Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney thinks Sarah Palin would be "great" as a candidate for the GOP presidential nomination in 2012.

Although he wouldn't speculate on whether he could beat her in a potential matchup, he was quick to volunteer the opinion of his wife, on his run.

"My wife thinks I should run, she's absolutely committed," Romney said. "I'm not sure she knows whether I can win or lose, but I know she feels that somebody of my experience is needed in the country at a time like this."

Even though the former 2008 presidential candidate said he too would have lost to Barack Obama in the last election, if he were president now he would "reverse all of the policies that have made America one of the least friendly places to start new businesses."

"This administration, while saying they hope to make things business friendly, have done just the opposite," Romney said.

He also would not label Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak a "dictator."

"He is the leader of his country, he is a monarch-type figure," Romney said. "I probably would avoid the term 'dictator.'"

While Egypt experiences dramatic political changes – including the announcement from Mubarak that he will not seek reelection – Romney said it is important that America stand with democracy but not impose an American system in other parts of the world.

"This after all was an administration which has been friendly with us, has had agreements with us to protect the stability of Israel, our ally," Romney said. "We can't just say we're going to rip everything apart and fashion your nation the way we'd like it to be."

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney
  1. jerome

you will too lose the battle in 2012
    unless stupid americans realise this guys is a mormon.
    this believes joseph smith is a prophet?..wtf?

February 1, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  2. JJ

This isn't news. I could run my dog against Palin and my Labrador would bury her.

February 1, 2011 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  3. Former Republican, now an Independent

Even though his political viewpoint is somewhat troubling, Romney is least fairly intelligent. I can't say that about Sarah Palin. She is a good communicator, due to her jounalistic background, but hugely misinformed and dangerous as a presidential candidate. The republican field so far is full of special interest politicians and no one with the American people's interest in mind.

February 1, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  4. mlc in CA

OMG. Romney just branded himself with a big red D for DUMB. Thanks. I'll stick with the Dems again next time.

February 1, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  5. Grand Oil Party

Um, Palin doesn't have any 'ideas." Goes to show that Romney is just a slimy pol looking to get elected rather than tell it like it is – that Palin is an idiot.

February 1, 2011 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  6. Black Folks

The scary thing about palin is not her but the fact their is a core of ignorant white people that could place enough votes and notice i said WHITE PEOPLE to make her POTUS and to THAT CORE it would make sense to vote for someone who make no sense

February 1, 2011 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  7. yaho

Oh Romney yu seem care only about only Israel security but ignore 80million Egyptian voices calling for change for democracy....so should I make a judgment on foreign policy based on this.......don't yu see its time do US to abating double standard and promote universal balanced policies around the world and in doin so world peace is promoted.

February 1, 2011 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People

"Romney up on Palin"?

Things that make you say, hhhmmmm....

February 1, 2011 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  9. EddyL

If Romney thinks Palin is "great" then he's even stupider than I originally thought. Palin is a pinhead and only a retard would support her for president.

February 1, 2011 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Gidget

Romney would love to run against Palin for the Republican spot on th 2012 ticket. He knows he would walk all over her.

February 1, 2011 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  11. once upon a horse

Sarah Palin is about as qualified to be POTUS as I am!! And it just cracks me up that Republicans like Romney just seem so afraid to come out and say something negative about her. What they are really afraid of is that they will upset her rabid right wing base along with her right wing talkshow host buddies and FoxNews that employ her. This is one of the reasons I really hope she does run and get into a primary because then the other candidates like Mitt are going to have to take her on, like Hillary did to Obama, and say why she would NOT be a good POTUS. A debate between her and the likes of Mitt, Newt, Huckabee, and Bachmann I think I would actually PAY to watch.

February 1, 2011 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  12. Aaron

Romney is apparently scared of Palin like the rest of them with all that nonsense about her being an effective voice and all. Granted, she is effective if they are looking for someone to stir up the loons and have them shoot opponents.

February 1, 2011 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  13. Steve D.

Romney doesn,t connect with "average" Americans. Sarah does! He will be lucky if he wins a couple of North-East states. Sarah will carry the South, West and Mid-West. If he couldn,t beat McCain he will have no chance against Palin.

February 1, 2011 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  14. Shelby

Romney: "I believe she is an extraordinarily powerful and effective voice in our party, that she has generated a great deal of support and attention, that she'd be great in a primary process," Romney said Tuesday on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." "She'd bring attention to the process, and frankly, the more people we have on the stage in those debates talking about different ideas and different approaches, the better."
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yeah, palin would bring a lot to the debates. Let's recall her incompetency in the 2008 VP debates:

"I may not answer the questions that either the moderator or you want to hear, but I'm going to talk straight to the American people and let them know my track record, also. - sarah palin, on not answering the questions in the vice presidential debate; St. Louis, Missouri; October 2, 2008

palin 2012 for debates without questions! LOL!

February 1, 2011 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  15. maf

Blah, blah and more blah from the master of nothing!

February 2, 2011 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  16. J.V.Hodgson

Well done Mitt!! You did not answer the question but you did confirm to me the answer is yes ( not only from your wife) because of the glowing praise to Palin. Absolutely the right thing to do of someone who you know you would beat hands down for the nomination of president for the Republicans.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

February 2, 2011 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  17. malabar

Thank goodness the Palin media blackout was ignored by everyone who cares about their bottom line and web traffic. and Romney sure is a handsome son of a gun hahaha

February 2, 2011 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  18. Edward

Just a little reminder that Mitt Romney is the man that strapped his dog in a carrier to his car's roof on a family trip.
    Poor judgment. Please don't insult America by running for President. Who's your running mate, Michael Vick?

February 2, 2011 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  19. Carl

If he thinks Palin would be a good candidate to run for President....he has lost my respect for him.....period!

February 2, 2011 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  20. TM

Willard "Mitt" Romney's view of Palin as a candidate tells you ALL you need to know about HIS fitness to run for the Oval Office. Don't quit your day job Willard! Oh, wait, that's right, YOU DON'T HAVE ONE!

February 2, 2011 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  21. Sally

I had soem respect for Mitt until he started catering to the Palin/Beck crowd with his "I'd reverse everything" comments. Is that was we're going to hear from the GOP? That, my friend, is not leadership, but being a sheep. That will not make you stand out from the flock of whiners about to be thrust upon us. Is that the Koch line...that we're not business friendly. From their viewpoint, any regulation at all upon the biggest polluters in the country is one reg too many. I', sad for this country is Koch buys the 2012 election. Obama is, at least, trying to improve the lot of the poor....the Kochs and now, the GOP, will just let them suffer.

February 2, 2011 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  22. thomas

Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin , Ego and Bimbo !

February 2, 2011 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  23. normajean

I have never been impressed with Mitt Romney and now his opinion of Sarah Palin as a possible presidential candidate justifies my impression of him. Sarah Palin has NO quallification to to go any further into the political scene. She is a person who is looking for fame and money. She is intellectually wanting, has learned NOTHING in the last two to three years except how to promote herself. If Republican voters listen to the likes of Romney and vote for her, they might as well not bother. SHE WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT!!

February 2, 2011 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  24. Anonymous

Great another republican fool who wouldn't stop kissing sarah palin's rear end, just like mccain who should have known better
    than to select that brunette version of barbie as his running mate. I really can't wait for the primaries so that I can see them
    all in a catfight.

February 2, 2011 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  25. Josaphat Daniels

mitt stop hiding behind your wife you coward why don't you say what everyone knows already,you are the one who wants yourself to run for the presidency. I am not falling for this sanctimonious self-righteous BS, being the president isn't something
    that requires permission from your wife or mother it is something that you think very long and hard about before you decide
    to run so stop the pretending. It's not like she asked you to run the last time.

February 2, 2011 01:50 am at 1:50 am |