Gingrich: Presidential leadership requires ‘different kind of approach’
February 2nd, 2011

Gingrich: Presidential leadership requires ‘different kind of approach’

Washington (CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich didn’t announce his candidacy for president Tuesday night, but he did outline the issues he’d focus on in a campaign and the approach he’d take as commander in chief.

“I think the country has enormous problems,” Gingrich said in remarks made exclusively to CNN. “I think it requires a totally different kind of approach, a ‘we the people, focus on the citizens’ approach that recognizes that all of us are in this together and that it’s going to take a tremendous amount of joint effort by millions of people for America to be successful.”

Gingrich said his campaign would focus on jobs, national security, energy and “reach(ing) out to every American in every neighborhood and ensur(ing) that they truly have the right to pursue happiness.”

The prominent Republican also praised a potential presidential contender, Jon Huntsman, the U.S. ambassador to China who tendered his resignation on Monday and is widely expected to explore a bid for the White House.

“He’s very bright, very capable,” Gingrich said. “There will be a lot of very first rate people. It’ll be a good field.”

When asked if he would like to announce his candidacy during the interview, Gingrich joked that he was “tempted,” and reiterated his self-imposed deadline of the end of February for making such an announcement.

Gingrich spoke to CNN after a wide-ranging debate with former Democratic Party chairman Howard Dean at George Washington University.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. JOhn

“I think the country has enormous problems,” Of course he does, he caused and supported the cause of most of our problems.

February 2, 2011 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  2. USA401

‘we the people, focus on the citizens’
    –Then why is the republican party sprinting to repeal HCR instead of fixing it. And why are they trying to prevent the government from regulating green house gases. The only people that party is for is large corporation owners.

February 2, 2011 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  3. Dnick47

Anything Gringrich has to be discounted 100% because he is a liar, a fraud, a cheat, and a thief. His record speaks volums on his crimes.

February 2, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  4. Whammybar

I'll second the motion, "Go away Newt"

February 2, 2011 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  5. annie s

You're right, Newt, I have the right to pursue happiness. Sadly, I can't do that with all the worry about losing the Health Care bill, though, because I'm over 50, self employed, struggle to pay $1600 monthly for my spouse and I to have insurance (with a $5000 annual deductible each), and I live with the constant worry that if one of gets sick, we'll be dropped.

February 2, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  6. Freedomics

FTA... "that recognizes that all of us are in this together". Back in the 90's, Newt was all about splitting the nation along ideological lines so that he could gain power. In fact, that's about the time that I remember civil political discourse ending and slash/burn politics beginning. Newt hasn't changed. He's just changing his message in a deceptive bid to regain power. Personally, I hope Newt is the 2012 GOP presidential candidate. I would love to see him get flushed down the national toilet by Obama.

February 2, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  7. TM

Well, that leaves you out, Newt. We remember your "Contract on America". You have NEVER 'focused on the citizens'. Not now, and certainly not when you were in office. WE REMEMBER.

February 2, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  8. sara

All Talk and no Walk!!! Go away newt,your a dinosour! Your a "HUGE" part of the disaster in this country. You and the GOP lie to the American people!!!! I often wonder? How many actual poor,and middle class people in this country are Republicans? I just can,t figure WHY, do they want to stay poor? I don,t!!!!! Their gearing up to "Screw you Again!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2011 08:58 am at 8:58 am |