Unlikely bedfellows
February 2nd, 2011

Unlikely bedfellows

Washington (CNN) - Elton John is expressing a newfound fondness for someone most would see as a foe, Rush Limbaugh, the outspokenly anti-gay marriage radio personality. In the new issue of Rolling Stone, to be released Friday, John discusses the thaw between the two, who many would expect to have a lot to disagree over.

John explained his reaction when asked by Limbaugh to perform at his wedding, "I could not believe when I was asked to play. I thought it was a joke."

Limbaugh wed Kathryn Rogers in Florida on June 5, 2010 in a lavish Hawaiian-themed ceremony. Photos of the fete are still available on Limbaugh's official Facebook page. It is his fourth marriage.

He further discussed his motivation to continue an alliance with Limbaugh, hoping that the camaraderie between the two will eventually morph into support for gay rights.

"I had dialogue with him before and he said, 'I'm not anti-gay, I want you to come, bring David' (David Furnish, Elton John's partner of 12 years, with whom he legally entered a partnership during a civil ceremony in 2005 and with whom he has recently had a son by a surrogate).

"My goal is for Rush to say, 'I support civil partnerships,' and if I rang him right now, I think he might agree. He was one of the first people to congratulate us on the baby."

Elton John was reportedly paid one million dollars to perform at Rush Limbaugh's wedding. Later, in July 2010 Limbaugh made comments on his radio show that drew a distinction between his view on gay marriage and civil unions saying "Elton John is not married to David Furnish, and Elton John is not a supporter of gay marriage. Elton John is on the same page as I am, as is Obama on gay marriage. He's for civil unions, but he's not for marriage."

Elton John had spoken out on behalf of civil unions but recently appeared to go a step further.  At an American Foundation for Equal Rights event, he stated "It seems so ridiculous I could be with my partner for 17 years and we have a son, and my partner and I can't get married."

Filed under: Rush Limbaugh
  1. Mike

Question...WHO in 'her' right mind would marry RUSH Limbaugh?!?!?!?!?
    Plus, let's count how many gay men it takes to put together a wedding Rush....
    1) the guy who designed your wife's gown
    2) the guy who makes her cake
    3) the guy who does her hair
    4) the guy who organizes the wedding
    5) the guy who performs the marriage (maybe – I'm sure you won't have a female miister)
    6) the guy who sings at your wedding, especially if it's Sir Elton (must be nice to be able to afford Elton to sing for you)
    7) the guys who set up the banquet and wait on your tables

Shall I go on???? WE, yes, I am one, make the world go 'round!!!!!!!!!!

February 2, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Defaultuser

I don't support Rush Limbaugh or the idiots who actually take him seriously but really...can you blame him? All he has to do is rant and rave at the level of a mentally handicap 11 year old, Christian and he makes bank. I've truly thought about organizing some sort of totally bogus "Americans For Biblical Laws Implemented In The Constitution" and making a fortune off of slack jawed, drooling, inbred retards...buttttttt I'd probably end up throwing bricks at their faces from my podium.

February 2, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. commonsenseplease

Love the story. Love the comments. To the Gentleman who wants to know why religion still influences law....please Sir.....read the Constitution, Federalist papers, Declaration of Independence, Emancipation Proclamation etc..... its so blatantly in front of you, that a blind man could see it. This country was built and formed based on common morals and law derived from the Christian religion. BTW....before you start honking out the much maligned "Separation of Church and State" idea, it's called the "Anti-Establishment clause" and you need to read carefully what it says....not what someone has told you or what you believed to have heard about it. Marriage is a religious designation supported by the government. The change in the designation would and should be initiated from the religious side....and much to your dismay, it's not happening. The idea of Elton and Rush hanging out and showing that folks can differ and yet still be friends completely escapes some of you who constantly use hatred to get in the way of common sense and what is best for all Americans.

February 2, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  4. Brian

I would probably find Rush a little more tolerable too if he paid me $1,000,000.00 to play at his wedding.

February 2, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  5. Storm

Rush IS gay. Those vacations he takes "alone" are a chance for him to bugger little boys. Looks like the porker would go ahead and come outta the closet.

February 2, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Mr DemocratMan

Reading through the posts tells me that the CNN blogs are loaded with a bunch of short sited libs. Have any of you actually listed to Rush or are you just lead around by the nose by the Dem talking points.

February 2, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. JonnyRockitMan

The author of this piece needs to learn the facts. Elton and David have been together for 17 years, not 12. And they didn't adopt a son, they had a son of their own – albeit through a surrogate. And related to Rush – he could go marry his golf clubs and I couldn't give a rats ass. What a bag of wind....

February 2, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. allitrop

I used to like Elton John when i was younger. but it seems the older he gets – the more pathetic he gets.

February 2, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  9. JOhn

Does anyone really dobut that limbaugh will say anythin gto anyone as long as thier is something in it for him?

This story is so old, Rush is probably already filed for his next divorce.

February 2, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  10. Mike

Oh, P.S. ....I forgot 2 A. the guy who makes her floral bouquet and flowers.

February 2, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  11. Big John

Limbaugh must come out from his closet and proclaim his gayness to his listening audience.

February 2, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  12. kd

More proof (as if any is needed) that Limbaugh is a PT Barnum-style of shill-meister. He plays to a crowd that will pay him the most money to reinforce their prejudices.

Will Limbaugh change his stance on gays? No way. It would cost him money and power. Nice of Elton to 'out' him this way (kinda saavy) but the stupid and hateful will continue to tune into Limbaugh and soak up his BS because that's all they want to hear.

February 2, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. David

Rush Slimeball have been married 4 times... way to protect the sanctity of marriage you fat gasbag.

February 2, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Claudia, Houston, Tx

No comment, I'll wait until the next nasty comments come from Limbaugh about gays.

February 2, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. Ross

Limbaugh's credibility on marriage given his multiple failures is pretty low.

February 2, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  16. Brad

Marriage is a religious institution. That's why gay marriage offends so many people. Just call it a civil union and make sure the government recognizes it the same way as a traditional marriage. Seems like a good compromise, no?

February 2, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. Ray Jackson, MS

His motivation was the million dollars he was paid to w hore himself out and betray his people. He will never be forgiven for this. I hope he goes broke and him and that paid house boy he calls a lover both starve to death.

February 2, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Ray Jackson, MS

Elton betrayed his own kind for money. Auntie Elton has become the gay term for Uncle Tom ever since this incident.

February 2, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  19. JonnyRockitMan

How long does it take to moderate my comment? Probably as long as it takes you to post a new survey question.... sometimes the same survey question stays on your face page for days. What's up with that?

February 2, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. Chris

Maybe it had something to do with the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars he was paid to perform at the wedding? Never underestimate hard, cold cash to bring two really rich people together. Just goes to show that Elton John will compromise his beliefs for his greater good: His bottom financial line.

February 2, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  21. rkm63

I'm a conservative and I'm ready, willing and able to support "civil unions" for gays, I just wish the gays were. There are just some traditions I feel should be preserved and marriage is one of them, no need to change the definition of marriage. We need to start compromising instead of stepping on each others toes just to see who squeals the loudest. LOL

February 2, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |