Unlikely bedfellows
February 2nd, 2011

Unlikely bedfellows

Washington (CNN) - Elton John is expressing a newfound fondness for someone most would see as a foe, Rush Limbaugh, the outspokenly anti-gay marriage radio personality. In the new issue of Rolling Stone, to be released Friday, John discusses the thaw between the two, who many would expect to have a lot to disagree over.

John explained his reaction when asked by Limbaugh to perform at his wedding, "I could not believe when I was asked to play. I thought it was a joke."

Limbaugh wed Kathryn Rogers in Florida on June 5, 2010 in a lavish Hawaiian-themed ceremony. Photos of the fete are still available on Limbaugh's official Facebook page. It is his fourth marriage.

He further discussed his motivation to continue an alliance with Limbaugh, hoping that the camaraderie between the two will eventually morph into support for gay rights.

"I had dialogue with him before and he said, 'I'm not anti-gay, I want you to come, bring David' (David Furnish, Elton John's partner of 12 years, with whom he legally entered a partnership during a civil ceremony in 2005 and with whom he has recently had a son by a surrogate).

"My goal is for Rush to say, 'I support civil partnerships,' and if I rang him right now, I think he might agree. He was one of the first people to congratulate us on the baby."

Elton John was reportedly paid one million dollars to perform at Rush Limbaugh's wedding. Later, in July 2010 Limbaugh made comments on his radio show that drew a distinction between his view on gay marriage and civil unions saying "Elton John is not married to David Furnish, and Elton John is not a supporter of gay marriage. Elton John is on the same page as I am, as is Obama on gay marriage. He's for civil unions, but he's not for marriage."

Elton John had spoken out on behalf of civil unions but recently appeared to go a step further.  At an American Foundation for Equal Rights event, he stated "It seems so ridiculous I could be with my partner for 17 years and we have a son, and my partner and I can't get married."

Filed under: Rush Limbaugh
  1. Lucy

Means conservates are all against gays - NOT!

February 2, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. DemFL

Dear Rush, Pay me a million dollars and I'll say what ever you want for 24 hours!!!

February 2, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  3. Allen Hussein

Come out of the closet Rush!

February 2, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. rob

Chris said it perfectly. This should be about the legal benefits of a Civil Union, its people who use the words "Same sex Marriage" who are being disrespectfull of folks who hold that as a religious sacrement.

February 2, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. Barney

Maybe Rush is gay.

February 2, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. kitty

Rush is a total idiot! He cherishes nothing but himself. What a loserr!!

February 2, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  7. Steve-O

So a wedding that happened 8 months ago is in the "Political Ticker"?...and why would that be?

February 2, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  8. dreamer?

without disregarding one's beliefs, wouldn't it be nice if liberals would listen to conservatives, and conservatives listen to liberals...imagine if a common, reasonable ground could be reached.. that being said, I'm sure that there are alot more folks in the middle than one the edges of things...

"any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." -B. Franklin

February 2, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  9. Nikki

@Kady Wow. I never thought I'd read a comment on one of these things that actually would make me think and consider something outside my normal world view. I am religious. I am an independent, though I'm registered as a Democrat currently. But I think you're spot on. Marriage should be a religious ceremony. Civil Unions handled by the State. Hello, separation of Church and State? Same rights and protections. No muss. No fuss. Everyone wins and you don't have this 'we're better than you attitude' or 'you don't deserve this' attitude.

February 2, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. Qi

I always knew Rush was gay. Wife #4 is just a beard.

February 2, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  11. gordon

Well put stop spending tax dollars and state or fedral goverment on sch issues that should be handeled outside of the goverment.

February 2, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. Marcus

ReallY!!?
    'Rush, like Elton John are both against gay marriage.'
    First – READ the article!!! Elton John, who until recently was not very vocal for the support of the recognition of the so-called 'Gay Marriage', but now that he is a father he wants to have his 17 relationship with a man recognized as it is, a marriage.
    If you had bothered to READ the article before you started to spout your 'I do not have prejudice against LGBT but I think that...' rant, your whole hollow point could have lasted longer.
    Second:
    The correct phrase is: 'Rush, like Elton John, is against gay marriage' (which a false statement BTW)

February 2, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  13. megan

Rush hate gay"s just like he hate blacks,latino, mulism, he is the grandson of hilter.

February 2, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. Observer

Maybe Elton John can perform at all of the "family values" Limbaugh's weddings now. He's had 4 already.

February 2, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  15. Speez

Money speaks volumes. The pay must have been right so Mr. John plays at Mr Limpheads wedding, the preacher of anti gay. And Mr. Oxycontin boy preaches whatever gets his ratings no matter what damage his ditto heads will do to this once great country. Now that's integrity and moral backbone for you. Two @ssholes.

February 2, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. NVa Native

The Rush we all see and hear about day after day is a hateful bigotted social parasite – and that is the creature that makes all those millions of dollars pushing hate and fear. He is the worst of the worst.
    Who cares what is said in dark hidden places?

February 2, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. Rsprings

Bu Bu BU Bennie bennie....bennie and the jets

February 2, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. Zivo24

Elton John and Rush Limbaugh are NOT "unlikely bedfellows"....obviously both of them will say or do just about anything if you give them enough money.

February 2, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  19. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

The Great Bloviator has his stage personna (Rush Limbaugh – bloviating gasbag) and his real life personality. Check it out. The man is opposed to government censorship of the media, believing parents should control what their kids watch. Yes, he is opposed to gay marriage like many other Southern "Christians", but unlike many others he is not opposed to Gay Rights in general.
    Outside of that, I take great joy in disagreeing with just about everything that comes out of his mouth on the show!

February 2, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  20. Lolo

@ReallY it is the republicans who do not understand the difference. Quit trying to blame everything on the liberals. The only thing the republicans and tea partiers talk about is religion, guns and abortion. I am sick of this conservative movement trying to make everyone live by their rules. If they don't like it don't participate, further more move away. They need to quit trying to be judge and jury. They are the ones who are mixing church and state. Idiot!!!!!!

February 2, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. scott

Most would see as a foe, Many would expect expect him to disagree with. Who are these people CNN? Are they gay, Aare they liberals, or, Are they BIGOTED HATERS?

February 2, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  22. NJfinest2009

Rash Limp balls is not a politician nor does anything he stands for belong as a CNN ticker. He is full of hate and lies! Sooner rather than Later, I HOPE HE FAILS!!!!

February 2, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  23. Pookphi

Wow, Rush, come on down off that high horse. Married FOUR times ... how many tries does a heterosexual need before he gets it right?

February 2, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. JenniferinVegas

No on "civil unions." Why?? The federal government does not recognize these unions, and under the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act of 1996 (DOMA), other U.S. states are not obliged to recognize them either. The only solution to the lack of equality? a legal marriage which is recognized in ALL states.

February 2, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  25. ART

Rush is a drug addicted buffoon

February 2, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |