National Review editor urges Jeb to run
February 7th, 2011
11:29 AM ET
3 years ago

National Review editor urges Jeb to run

(CNN) – Fresh off putting Jeb Bush on the cover of his magazine this week, National Review Editor Rich Lowry is now actively urging the younger brother of the former president to seek the White House himself - now.

Writing on the National Review’s website Monday, Lowry says it’s now or never for the popular former Florida governor who has already explicitly ruled at a 2012 bid, saying waiting four years will risk diminishing his legacy while a bumper crop of new Republican leaders emerge.

“Four years after leaving the Florida governor’s mansion, he remains one of the most impressive Republican politicians in the country, a formidable policy mind with the political chops to drive conservative reforms even out of office. So why isn’t he running for president?” asks Lowry.

Lowry lists eight reasons why Bush must and should run this presidential election cycle, including his belief that 2016 will prove too late for the younger Bush who at that point will have been out of office for 10 years.

“No doubt he will have made many contributions to the cause in the interim, but by then his main credential — his governorship and its accomplishments — will seem like yesterday’s news. Right now he has the feel of an elder statesman of the party while his time in office is still fresh,” writes Lowry.

Other reasons Lowry says Bush should run now: “The Bush rehabilitation has begun,” “He’s not just another Bush,” and “Waiting is almost always a mistake.”


Filed under: Jeb Bush
soundoff (160 Responses)
  1. Paul

    "Lowry says it’s now or never for the popular former Florida governor"

    Good news for us all then, because it's clearly not going to be 'now.'

    February 7, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  2. Darth Vadik, CA

    I say he should run and win the Republican nomination, if anyone can unite the US it will be another Bush, he will unite the 75% of the country AGAINST himself, but the country will be united (for the most part). The other 25% of psychopath conservatives who will vote for another Bush, are just that, psychopaths, and stupid ones at that.

    February 7, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. NATHAN WIMBERLY

    Look how low Snooki Palin makes the GOBP sink. They are so terrified that she will run , they trot out another Bush. Desperation isn't pretty.

    February 7, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. Phil in KC

    If there's one thing we DON'T need, it's another Bush in the White House. The first 2 screwed it up badly enough. Heaven help us if there was a 3rd.

    February 7, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Ruskinite

    As King "Dumbya" Bush put it so eloquently, " Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. [then long pause while the alcohol/drug-fried brain desperately tries to engage]...Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

    If we crown or get duped into appointed a THIRD Bush in the White House...shame on us!

    February 7, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. fayse

    Ten years ago the perception was that Jeb was the smarter brother and even the father thought that Jeb would be the one to run for President. Because of the disasterous eight year term of George W. Bush, Jeb would never have a chance. And, after his recent comments praising Sarah Palin, many now seriously doubt that Jeb is really smart at all. No to Another Bush white House.

    February 7, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. Ralph M.

    Oh Good Freaking God NO!

    February 7, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  8. annie s

    God help us if Jeb Bush were ever President. This is the Bush who was part of the Project for a New American Century Project along with Cheney, Rumsfield & Wolfowitz. The Project urged Clinton to invade Iraq in 1998, insisted we needed to increase military spending "significantly" and essentially called for world domination by the USA. Scary, scary, scary.

    February 7, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Rick in AZ

    Why doesn't Neal Bush run as well? Neal, you ask? Yeah Neal Bush who looted Silverado Savings and Loan in Colorado. God what a wonderful family.

    February 7, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  10. GL

    Repubicans are just to sad to even think about asking another Bush to run. Party of no plans and no new Ideas.

    February 7, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7