Former GOP Senate candidates remain active
February 8th, 2011

Former GOP Senate candidates remain active

Washington (CNN) - Two of the Republicans who lost high profile Senate races in last year's mid-terms are vowing to stay engaged with new political efforts.

Delaware candidate Christine O'Donnell, who captured the political world's attention after her upset victory against Rep. Michael Castle in the primary, sent an email Tuesday to supporters detailing the beginning of her political action committee, ChristinePAC, and asking for donations.

Colorado's Ken Buck is also forming a non-profit group. "Balance America" will be dedicated to state-based research, education and leadership to push an amendment to the U.S. Constitution requiring a balanced budget, Buck said in a statement.

O'Donnell, who was very successful fundraising following her surprise primary win, was also the subject of much ridicule for some of her talk show appearances years ago. She was soundly defeated by Democrat Chris Coons in the general election.

Her current email pitch lashes out at the establishment for attacking her: "I'm determined not to let them destroy our movement. If I stand alone, though, I'm no match for the liberal media and the political establishment. But, with us standing together to fight, they don't have a chance!"

"A strong ChristinePAC will enable me to counter the liberal-controlled GOP establishment in upcoming Congressional Primaries. Remember, for primary challengers to win, conservatives need (sic) to start organizing now in 2011 – or else candidates who reflect our values won't be able to run an effective 2012 campaign."

O'Donnell doesn't directly mention the ongoing investigation by the Justice Department and the FBI concerning whether she improperly used campaign funds in past elections for personal use. A source familiar with the investigation told CNN in December such a probe was underway. In her email to supporters Tuesday she does note: "You've probably heard about the latest smear on me." Previously she has denied any wrongdoing.

O'Donnell is currently working on a book about the 2010 election that is scheduled to be published later this year.

In his statement, Buck says his non-profit group will organize and train activists in all 50 states to help push ratification.

"After the last election many DC politicians have finally jumped on the BBA (Balanced Budget Amendment) bandwagon and that's great. We'll take it. But the solutions to our nation's problems don't come from Washington, they come from grassroots Americans working to overcome the mess DC has started," Buck said.

Buck, who won a primary race against a more establishment candidate, lost to incumbent Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet in the general election.

"Colorado's grassroots and I were certainly not happy about barely losing my race last year. But now that's less important compared to the real danger of national financial ruin unless we take back our future from those who are squandering it," Buck said.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell • GOP
  1. John

I would never vote for either of them, but at least I respect Buck as a candidate. I probably don't agree with him in anyway, but he's at least respectable. On the other hand, I think O'donnell is a nut job.

February 8, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. mdn

"liberal-controlled GOP establishment"...now that's a new one! How does being bizarre, uninformed, and a loudmouth equall being a conservative? Between her, Palin, Bachman, and Angle, I think she could start a new political party. It could be called the Mama Grizzly Party. Brainless but good looking women who say what they mean but don't mean what they say...and they smell a little like bear poo.

February 8, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. NVa Native

Active?!?!
    How about she get a freakin' JOB! (And not a fake job at Faux News either)

February 8, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

Once again, blame the liberal media, Christine. I don't suppose your loss had anything to do with your statements, your positions, your utter lack of credibility, hmmmm?

Pay off your student loans with your own money, and find a real job before you hit the age of 70.

February 8, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. GOP = Greed Over People

As in "actively stupid" supporters?

Looks like O'Donnell has more rent to pay.

February 8, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. mk1

I am still trying to figure out how this woman pays her bills. She is not independently wealthy, she has no job other than running for office, so where does her money come from? Something is very fishy here.

February 8, 2011 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. Sniffit

And in typical batsh-t crazy conseravtive fashion she has pulled ye ole "mirror image accusation" projection trick by announcing that she will be using her PAC to "investigate" and "probe" liberal organizations receiving money from George Soros.

You think I'm making this up? Sorry...nope...this is witchypoo's (un)reality coming straight at ya.

February 8, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. DIANA

I guess she's behind on the rent and needs the money. Anybody who contributes to her deserves to lose their money.

February 8, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. Larry

I'd love to see a list of those people who donate to this nut. They're probably waiting in line to buy Bristol's memoirs. Can you have memoirs at 20?

February 8, 2011 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  10. SPALDING

It must be time to pay the rent.You see even witches have to pay rent.

February 8, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. fisk

Great. Another Palin that just doesn't know when to go away.....

February 8, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  12. Jon H

Christine O'Donnell starts PAC? Looks like someone is house shopping.

February 8, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  13. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Good for Christine. She is an ideal republican candidate: not too bright, not too truthful, not too much into women's rights. But, compared to Beck and some of the GOP presidential wannabes who exhibit the intelligence of a carrot, she hasn't started any new conspiracy theories.

February 8, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  14. ANGY

I see again sarah palin in the making. PLEASE NO MORE DELUSIONAL LOSERS.!!!!!!!

February 8, 2011 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  15. Ryan

I'd contribute to an "Anti-ChirstinePAC". Does that one exist yet?

February 8, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. geecee

Can't this woman find a real job and stop running as a candidate so she can raise money to live on? She's a con artist!!

February 8, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  17. D. Bunker

Awwww, bless her heart, the little witchy woman just can't stop lying. The so-called "liberal media" is just a myth, yet another GOBPbagger lie. She wants us to feel sorry for her because a big bad monster that doesn't really live under her bed still scares her and her supporters.

Those of us in Realityland of course recognize that all mainstream media has a very strong, though sometimes subtle, pro-corporatist (gee, look who OWNS them!), pro-war, pro-GOP bias. Heck, CNN even pays that vile rightwing racist Erickson to pretend he has something rational to offer.

February 8, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  18. Mike in Memphis

Translation: "Please send your money to my newly formed political action committee so I can use the funds to help pay the friends I've hired to run it, skim a bit off the top for myself, and use what's left to send out materials so I can get more money donated to my political action committee." If people really wanted to promote the GOP, give an unemployed liberal a job.

February 8, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain

How can she call herself a conservative, when she can't control her own finances; doesn't hold a job, but instead relies on other people giving her money; doesn't take personal responsibility for her actions; and doesn't have the personal fortitude to withstand any criticism of what she says or does?

I thought these conservatives were "tough" and "fiscally responsible" and "self-reliant" and – if female – related to "mama grizzlies"?

They sounds like a bunch of ninnies to me!

February 8, 2011 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |