N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal
February 9th, 2011

N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal

Washington (CNN) - Republican Rep. Christopher Lee of New York resigned his House seat Wednesday following a report that the married congressman had tried to meet a woman on Craigslist.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York," said a statement by Lee posted on his website. "I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness."

The statement said that "the challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

Just before 6 p.m., an announcement read on the House floor said Lee had resigned as of 5 p.m. Wednesday and the number of the House members decreased by one from 435 to 434.

Lee, who is married and has a son, resigned after the website Gawker published an item reporting he corresponded with a woman who posted a Craigslist ad and allegedly sent her a bare-chested photo of himself.

The speed of Lee's resignation indicated a culture of zero tolerance by House Republicans for potentially controversial behavior so soon after winning control of the chamber for the first time since 2007.

Lee was first elected to Congress in 2008 from New York's 26th district in the western part of the state, which includes suburbs of both Buffalo and Rochester. He won re-election last November.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Gary Davis

wow another good ol'e boy plays his good christian hand LOL or someone else playing it for him .

February 9, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. Jeremy

I honestly don't know why he's resigning. Maybe if he had man boobs I could see the embarrassment, but this guy looks good. Not to mention those guns. His constituents should be proud. Isn't that the kind of body we want to be part of the congressional body? Although I would've love to see the classic flex pose he would've struck if he had someone else had taken the photo. Instead of making him resign the Republicans should've used them as their poster boy with the slogan- "Republicans- We've got the muscle to get the job done!" Now that's a campaign I could get behind.

February 9, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  3. CarmenSo

Hey baby, check out the gun show going on over here. BOOM BOOM! Firepower!

February 9, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  4. SCOTO

I know when I see the headlines that its going to be a Republican (family values anybody?)

February 9, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  5. Tony cycon

and people wonder why i don't trust republicans they tell you how to run your life and they don't know how to run theres

February 9, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  6. Namedudley

Be happy with what you have

February 9, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Roy

The "party of family values" strikes again!

8. shad

Hahaha, what a moron!

9. GG1000

What in the world would make a married politician with a recognizable face send a clear image to some random woman on Craig's List? Self destruct much? Sheesh.

And kudos to CNN for finding and posting the image – I like a little TMZ style in my straight news!

10. Kristof

Oh, well here's another politician caught in a sex scandal. Doesn't surprise me anymore...

11. greenhands

oooops how dumb......cover ur face at least..

12. Loki

the party of family values–what a joke

13. okerry

If he wants to date other women, then he should get a divorce and stay single. It's trying to have it both ways that causes the endless damage to families and children and everybody else involved, including the one who cheats. Married. Single. Pick one. Only a selfish ass tries to have both.

14. arthurr

kind of odd-dont you think?

15. Keor Undall

I think he's hot ! Too bad it cost him his job. I can't help but think that this is a little bit of Karma; when you vote against the sexual freedoms of others and think and act like you're above it, it will come back, one way or another to bite you.

16. trainspot

yet another member of the party that preaches "traditional family values" caught in a s3x scandal?! the utter surprise of it all.
    clearly this is just the liberal media at it again.

17. Nay

He's another Republican hypocrite. Like the entire party they all pretend to have morals, virtues & principles above anyone else, yet many are bigots, liars and opportunists. Sure he's only sorry he got caught, his capitol hill's perks has come to and end. Who's next?

18. shinkle

Meh, so harshly judged for personal life mistakes. Politicians have much more corrupt problems than this guy.

19. YougurtGun

Sex and Drugs have taken so many careers down. Sometimes I wonder if these folks should castrate themselves before they take office. Or the pulpit. Or the stage.Or the classroom or the......

20. BJs65

Bahahahaha!!! "Family Values GOP" my butt! You got what you deserved Lee! Big time!

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  21. mark e raymond

if this is true we are all lucky he got caught as he would have to have less brains than a goldfish.

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  22. MK

HA! What strikes me most about this idiot is that he was stupid enough to do it in a public forum! Aside from that, I'm howling that he is flexing. Pathetic. Go work out. Worse still is that he's a wussie cheater, not man enough to take care of business at home before looking around. Loser from the word go. Self-righteous bible-beating "man of god" no doubt.

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  23. JUST SAYING

This is news ???? sounds like politics as usual to me.............Just saying !

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  24. cm

What an arrogant, icky man.

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  25. Ashley

What an idiot! Why would he post his picture on craigslist for the world to see? Does he think that's some tiny, exclusive, member's only website? I guess he wanted to get caught.

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |