N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal
February 9th, 2011

N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal

Washington (CNN) - Republican Rep. Christopher Lee of New York resigned his House seat Wednesday following a report that the married congressman had tried to meet a woman on Craigslist.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York," said a statement by Lee posted on his website. "I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness."

The statement said that "the challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

Just before 6 p.m., an announcement read on the House floor said Lee had resigned as of 5 p.m. Wednesday and the number of the House members decreased by one from 435 to 434.

Lee, who is married and has a son, resigned after the website Gawker published an item reporting he corresponded with a woman who posted a Craigslist ad and allegedly sent her a bare-chested photo of himself.

The speed of Lee's resignation indicated a culture of zero tolerance by House Republicans for potentially controversial behavior so soon after winning control of the chamber for the first time since 2007.

Lee was first elected to Congress in 2008 from New York's 26th district in the western part of the state, which includes suburbs of both Buffalo and Rochester. He won re-election last November.

Filed under: Congress
  1. neptune

ahah....good job! that's what u get. when u say that u r a conservative when u r really not.
    It will come out...

February 9, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  2. Anonymous

That guys picture had me laughing so hard.

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. andy

What a Dummmy....................this is where our tax dollar goes to
    Maybe ha can run for the Chicago Mayor seat next to Rahmmy the Rambo

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. Fric

This is just too easy, so I won't. I'll give him this though, he promptly admitted his deeds. Even in the face of indisputable evidence, too many people, especially politicians, still can't admit the error of the ways. They just stick their head in the sand and go "la-la-la-la" with their hands over their ears and pretend the problem isn't there.

And Mr. Congressman, if that's the way you are, get a divorce and chase tail till your hearts content.. Be happy with it. Don't try to live a life of lies. That has to be miserable. Get real.

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. Terry in LA

The most concise and terse marital advice I have come across lately was undoubtedly from Proposition Joe in The Wire, sanitized slightly here for the general public: "Yeah, I'm like a marriage counselor. Tell the man he outta bring the some flowers every once in a while. Tell the she gotta suck some every once in a while. That sort of "

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  6. Veritas

AMF! One down 434 to go.

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  7. KornfedKornfused

Seriously, I trust the expression of the man without the suit a whole lot more.
    Let the roast begin!

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  8. Ron

On the flip side, he'll have more time to work out now......

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  9. nobody's perfect....

....but what a moron! Posting your face on craigslist, or even to someone ON craigslist when you're a public figure? Just plain stupid. Might as well put it on a billboard.

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  10. Zzzzz

Gee- what a surprise! A member of Congress cheating on his wife?! Can't wait for the book to go on sale! Your tax $$$ @ work!

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  11. donald

the citizens of upstate NY are facing the contamination of their water supply from natural gas companies 'fracking" near their
    water supply while this guys is trying scam chicks on craigslist? WTF???

February 9, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  12. mike johnson

... man .... that is one category 5 moron ... if he wants to exercise his wiener that is one thing , but posting your picture on Craigslist ... unbelievable

February 9, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  13. Fred

This is news? How? This is such SOP it's incomprehensible that this is either new (no way) or news (worthy of being spammed all over the internet). Ta (sic) boot, who really cares?! If you do, you may be disconnected from reality and need psychoactive medication. Honest ta (sic) God, I don't think American's give a rat's innards about this type of stuff anymore. People need employment and medical assistance. I'd be willing to be (up to $2) this guy's wife doesn't even care.

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  14. YumYumYum

Another republican raises the bar. Least ways it wasn't with boys this time.

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  15. NameJim

Where's the harm here? What a waste

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  16. mt

You can't really blame him. He represents Buffalo. There's nothing to do in Buffalo in the winter except watch the snow fall.

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  17. Eileen Tronnes

Happy Day!! I am delighted to see another so-called "family values" Republican leave Congress, and I hope he is the first of many of these evil Republicans to go because they are ruining the lives of people with the laws their enact to protect their own money interests.

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. Phred

The hypocrisy of the Social Conservative class seems to be relentless...

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  19. bob

someone is an idiot.

February 9, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  20. tim

He's probably got a more lucrative career ahead of him as a reality star. Him and Sarah Palin should do something.

February 9, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  21. NameJojo

Really???? Did he not think that she would tell the whole world given the opportunity to make some money?

February 9, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  22. andy

What an idiot....Nobody ever looks at craigslist.

February 9, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  23. Doomguy

Just another day in paradise. No wonder this country is a mess with winners like this at the helm.

February 9, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  24. ruatool2

How ignorant can a human being be and still find a way to stay alive and breathing??? I can't say that this is dumbest thing I've ever seen, but it is truely WAY up there. He should be fined into bankruptcy for the waste of time and tax dollars spent resolving his mess, instead of letting him walk.

February 9, 2011 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  25. Ssela

And I bet this guy is against gays getting married because it might "harm the institution of marriage"!! Nice to see he's doing such a great job of honoring his own vows!

February 9, 2011 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |