N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal
February 9th, 2011

N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal

Washington (CNN) - Republican Rep. Christopher Lee of New York resigned his House seat Wednesday following a report that the married congressman had tried to meet a woman on Craigslist.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York," said a statement by Lee posted on his website. "I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness."

The statement said that "the challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

Just before 6 p.m., an announcement read on the House floor said Lee had resigned as of 5 p.m. Wednesday and the number of the House members decreased by one from 435 to 434.

Lee, who is married and has a son, resigned after the website Gawker published an item reporting he corresponded with a woman who posted a Craigslist ad and allegedly sent her a bare-chested photo of himself.

The speed of Lee's resignation indicated a culture of zero tolerance by House Republicans for potentially controversial behavior so soon after winning control of the chamber for the first time since 2007.

Lee was first elected to Congress in 2008 from New York's 26th district in the western part of the state, which includes suburbs of both Buffalo and Rochester. He won re-election last November.

Filed under: Congress
  1. TeddySalad

Always remember; do as the Regressives say, not as they do.

February 9, 2011 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  2. Steve in MN

Another fine, upstanding Family Values REPUBLICAN bites the dust! They must all of them take the Hypocritic oath prior to assuming office....

February 9, 2011 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  3. congressman lee

uhhhmm, was I not supposed to post my sweet abs on craigslist?

Seriously, I gotta plead ignorance on this one. I mean, look at my abs. Who wouldn't want to see these? Man, I tell ya, I had no idea.

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  4. oldguy

this guy was smart enough to get elected...

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  5. Joel Weymouth

Before any leftist gloats – he resigned – not like Barney Frank, who seduced a young page and later had an aide running a prostitution service from his congressional residence in Washington.

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  6. LR

Seriously dude, craigslist....so sad you made yourself the stereotypical politician...stupid stamp for you.

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  7. Edward sutter

How Stupid can you get?????????????!!!!!!

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  8. Sunny Guy

It looks like the Good 'Old Party of No has too much time on their hands, since they don't bother with working on an agenda to help the little guy. Why doesn't this district elect a Democrat. Maybe the GOP will get the message. Radical concept.

Sunny Guy

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  9. Nick , California

Got to love the "Republican" values! Do as I say.. not as I do.. unless you got muscles like me! Ouch.. that's gotta sting!!

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  10. Dawn Tarr Ada, Ohio

Profound MISTAKES? It is a mistake when I turn down the wrong street. It is a mistake when I trip and fall down. This was no mistake. It was planned and executed for some kind of benefit. It was a scheme that was discovered. What a dirt bag!!

February 9, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  11. J

This guy is a complete idiot. Like most politicians nowadays, he too is completely immoral. We see this all too often and it is starting to get really old. I may be Republican, but its with Republicans and Democrats alike. All the other times the people have had to see this these last few years alone is embarrassing, at this point I really think that these politicians have a "template" to fill their name in... It's the same BS lines once their caught. It is really nice to see that my tax money pays the salaries of these idiots that cannot simply keep their pants on and do their job. "Hey Chris, I love the pose bud".

~J

February 9, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  12. Jon

What an idiot. How does someone that stupid get elected to Congress?

February 9, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  13. James

I'm not sure whats more embarassing, the fact that he got caught, or that hideous suit he's wearing...

February 9, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  14. lmm

I really feel bad for his wife and the pain and embarassment this surely is causing her. Whether he is republican or not makes no difference. He has shown he is deceitful and a disgusting human being.

February 9, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  15. matt

Well, this simply adds to the long list of politicians that can't keep it in their pants. Honestly, not a surprise.

February 9, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  16. Jomama

The only shocking thing about another Republican so-called family-values hypocrite being caught with his pants down is that apparently this one was looking to date women.

February 9, 2011 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  17. pooch

it's the hypocrisy, stupid.

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  18. leeintulsa

Oh, Congress. They'll let anyone in there

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  19. Richard, Chattanooga

Translation; I totally effed up and wish I would have been more careful so nobody caught me, especially my wife. She's going to take everything and all I'll have is this topless picture to show for it. Hell I didn't even get lucky on Craigslist.

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  20. pooflingingmonkey

Hardy, hardy HAR! Another holier than thou GOP'er bites the dust. Nice pecs, loser.

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  21. Chantelle

Not bad for a Republican. :P Could he not have met women without resorting to Craig's List though? Tackyyy.

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  22. Paul

This story made me laugh pretty hard. Oh well, glad it was a GOP dude.

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  23. rotnrobie

I guess he was stupid as well as unethical.
    Most unmarried non public figures don't put their photos into personals adds, let alone a tacky one like that.

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  24. RMD

What the heck is wrong with people?

February 9, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  25. Jeff

GOP is the family values party!!!

February 9, 2011 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |