N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal
February 9th, 2011

N.Y. Rep. Chris Lee resigns after Craigslist personals scandal

Washington (CNN) - Republican Rep. Christopher Lee of New York resigned his House seat Wednesday following a report that the married congressman had tried to meet a woman on Craigslist.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York," said a statement by Lee posted on his website. "I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness."

The statement said that "the challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

Just before 6 p.m., an announcement read on the House floor said Lee had resigned as of 5 p.m. Wednesday and the number of the House members decreased by one from 435 to 434.

Lee, who is married and has a son, resigned after the website Gawker published an item reporting he corresponded with a woman who posted a Craigslist ad and allegedly sent her a bare-chested photo of himself.

The speed of Lee's resignation indicated a culture of zero tolerance by House Republicans for potentially controversial behavior so soon after winning control of the chamber for the first time since 2007.

Lee was first elected to Congress in 2008 from New York's 26th district in the western part of the state, which includes suburbs of both Buffalo and Rochester. He won re-election last November.

Filed under: Congress
  1. For the Best

If he had poor enough judgment to try to cheat on his wife in such a public and recordable forum, it's probably best he's no longer helping to run the country

February 9, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  2. Pdxjason

Typical republicans. Can't stick to their values.

February 9, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  3. Mags Davies

Why resign? So he committed adultery. At least he paid his taxes and did not hide bribe money in a freezer.

February 9, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. diojisdad

What a tool!!. You can win a house seat but can't seem to remember that SOOOOOOOOO many people get busted doing exactly what you've done. When will these fools learn?

February 9, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. jean2009

So much for family values.

February 9, 2011 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  6. Harry

Another Republican bites the dust and exposes the so called "morals" they purport to uphold. Is there no ends to their depravity?

February 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. Dan

Ahhh, some more of the "famly values" that the GOP is so intent on portraying! LMAO!

February 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  8. Lou

Republicans will say "Whats the big deal"...but when it was Clinton they spent 3 years talking about it and even impeached him!

February 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  9. JusticePrevails

ha ha ha... how embarrassing. Another one bites the dust.

February 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  10. Marco Budgyk

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stop electing Republicans!!!

February 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  11. sean

It is ridiculous for him to feel pressured to resign. What he does in his bedroom is his business.

February 9, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. Clif

That is the funniest thing I've read all day.

February 9, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  13. Anonymous

Who cares what he is doing in his personal life?! That is a matter that should be left between him and his wife.

Besides... At least he looks good on camera! ;)

February 9, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  14. NoGr8rH8r

I hope he immediately checked himself into a psych ward!
    What a Nut. DumbNut.

February 9, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  15. jimmynog

Sooo funny. He's not even smart enough to be a politician.

February 9, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  16. No Abs

Oh ...what the hey... Republicans are all politically dumb and morally bankrupt... why pick on him?

February 9, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  17. Iowaeyes

Another GOP family values guy. Yeah, right.

February 9, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  18. wirehead

what an idiot...........

February 9, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  19. Joel Weymouth

BTW – is the shirtless picture really necessary – what are you the National Enquirer? Actually – no you are not – they DID their job with John Edwards.

February 9, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. East Coast

The only difference between Lee and many other members of Congress is that they haven't been caught yet.

February 9, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. jizzy701

lol you can't make this stuff up!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  22. WithoutSin

Family value baby!

February 9, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  23. Osama

What a fool LOL

February 9, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  24. Nick , California

Is this part of the GOP purity test?

February 9, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |