TRENDING: Obama does not dye hair, Michelle Obama says
February 9th, 2011

TRENDING: Obama does not dye hair, Michelle Obama says

Washington (CNN) – Has President Obama dyed his hair to avoid those pesky signs of age?

It's a question most recently asked by London's The Daily Mail, which compared a recent photo of the president with one taken only a few weeks earlier. In the more recent photograph, the president's hair appears dark black while the older photograph shows a more seasoned look on the Commander-in-Chief.

But rest assured, first lady Michele Obama says, the president is not undergoing any follicle treatments.

"No he's pretty gray," Mrs. Obama told NBC's Matt Lauer Wednesday.

"If he knew he'd be president he would have started dying his hair ten years ago," she added, laughing.

She also said her famous and very visible husband cares little about his appearance - despite repeated praise from fashion magazines that the president is among the best dressed White House occupants in decades.

"I wish that he would focus more on a different color suit, a new shirt. Sasha and I and Malia, we cheer when he puts on a bright-colored shirt."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • President Obama
  1. kyle

Another slow news day, who cares whether he dyes his hair or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 9, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  2. U.S. Common Sense

Right, he doesn't dye his hair. It just naturally goes from black to gray to black to gray to black to gray ... all on it's own.

There's nothing wrong with dying hair. Not sure why a) this is an issue, and b) why she's trying to cover it up.

February 9, 2011 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  3. BeanerECMO

I used to have the same type of hair; it would first come in as gray and then turn brown. But, that's just for men, not women. ;<)

February 9, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  4. Bill

Who cares? I'll bet he goes to the bathroom at least twice a day also. The Daily Mail would do better by asking more important questions like "Why are you waffling on Egypt?"

February 9, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  5. PalmReader

"In the more recent photograph, the president's hair appears dark black while the older photograph shows a more seasoned look on the Commander-in-Chief."

Not only does his hair sometimes appear dark black, so too does his skin tone often appear much darker than normal. My guess would be . . . for whatever the purpose . . . a heavy hand in media Photoshop darkening techniques at play.

February 9, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  6. mb2010a

I don't have a problem with him dyeing his hair. Reagan and JFK did it and several of the other POTUS. I would too if I were in his shoes. The Presidency really is hard on a person and it ages everyone prematurely. I guess there's a lot of worrying involved with the position. I just wish Michelle hadn't made him quit smoking...

February 9, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  7. Rick

Thats a goober for ya!

February 9, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  8. Gregory

Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't. Hey–Reagan dyed his hair. So does Hillary and so does Sarah and a bunch of men/women in Congress. We'll see what Tom Delay's hair looks like when he gets out of jail. Bill O'Reilly and the whole Fox team dye their hair. Boehner dyes his skin. All this is not really news.

February 9, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  9. Rsprings

Even if he does Who cares. I can tell you he is turning my hair gray .

February 9, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  10. Seattle Sue

If he does dye his hair, so what. I don't think he does because he looks more gray all the time. But you remember that President that walked on water, surely you remember that myth of a President that was in office ( 1981-1989) Well he definitely colored his hair, but like I said so what.

February 9, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  11. carolyn

So what if he does. Sometimes I think the news media people need to get real jobs.

February 9, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. CNN The Masters of Spin

That's not important; the real question is; does Sarah Palin?

February 9, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  13. rosaadriana

Oh brother.

February 9, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  14. katahdan

The president's a regular guy. He has one look–black suit, white shirt, and tie. This is a man who will wear the same pants for 10 years. Just the idea that he would dye his hair is ridiculous. Apparently some people don't realize that if a person is photographed in bright light, the gray in his hair will be more visible.

February 9, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  15. Not a hairdresser

Who cares!!!??? Reagan dyed his hair and that was okay, so it should be okay if Obama does it, right?

February 9, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  16. Odner

Well that wouldn't bother me much– it's just that I hate when he keeps making that corny he's getting grayer now joke. That O'Reilly guy rudely brushed him off on Sunday. Can't believe that guy– he's a tool. Anyways I think Obama is working hard. So he should be allowed to play hard as well.

February 9, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  17. T'sah from Virginia

President Obama looks fine the way he is – with the gray!! The same thing was said during the campaign that he was "dying his hair" to LQQK older for the job!! The SPIN starts and ENDS with the media and their predictions and gossip!!

Michelle Obama – U GO GIRL and keep it REAL!!!

February 9, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  18. diridi

GOP news???? what if so...now a days, every one is dying hair....in fact...In India, what I learned, they set one day...openly, it is called hair day...so that they dye...I mean very young....o.k...it is not a big deal....I do....If so what????silly..

February 9, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  19. Chris Meece

Funny stuff. Even though I am not a fan of his policies it is nice to see a fun story like this from time to time.

Maybe President Obama is trying to be like President Reagan. Reagan really looked good in his brown suit that he commonly wore in the white house.

February 9, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  20. Annie, Atlanta

Honestly, it's all about the lighting. As a camera buff, when you take a picture of someone in lower light, their hair always looks darker. No mystery here, folks.

February 9, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  21. Refascistican

Becoming gray comes with the job.

February 9, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  22. JeriD

Did she give an update on plans to stop the epidemic of childhood obesity and its threat to the life expectancy of our kids? How we can get involved and help encourage schools to treat our kids better with more exercise and quality food? Is this all you could get from the interview, Really!!! No wonder this country is falling behind and China is taking over!!!

February 9, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  23. Mr DemocratMan

Let's all gush over Obama for a moment...

February 9, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. Duck Fallas

Boner dyes his face.

February 9, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. Kenneth

Have we really gotten so low-brow, or should I say uni-brow, as a society that this is in any way relevant?

February 9, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |