Breaking: Webb not running for reelection
February 9th, 2011

Breaking: Webb not running for reelection

(CNN) – Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat, has decided not to seek reelection, the one term senator announced Wednesday.

Full statement:

Five years ago this week, on February 8, 2006, I announced my intention to run for the United States Senate. We had neither campaign funds nor a staff. We were challenged in a primary, and trailed the incumbent in the general election by more than 30 points in the polls.

Over the next nine months we focused relentlessly on the need to reorient our national security policy, to restore economic fairness and social justice, and to bring greater accountability in our government. I will always be grateful for the spirit and energy that was brought into this campaign by thousands of loyal and committed volunteers. Their enthusiasm and sheer numbers were truly the difference in that election.

It has been a great and continuing privilege to serve in the United States Senate. I am very proud of my talented and dedicated staff, which has worked tirelessly to resolve the issues on which I based my candidacy, and to protect the interests of all Virginians in this national forum. Among other contributions we have given our Post- 9/11 veterans the best GI Bill since World War Two; we have taken the lead in reforming our criminal justice system; we have led the way toward stronger relations in East and Southeast Asia; and we have been a strong voice in calling on China to act more responsibly in the world community. We will continue to work on these and other issues throughout the rest of my term.

However, after much thought and consideration I have decided to return to the private sector, where I have spent most of my professional life, and will not seek re-election in 2012.

Notwithstanding this decision, I have every intention of remaining involved in the issues that affect the well-being and the future of our country.

Filed under: Jim Webb
  1. james Miller

What a shame. He`s one of the most level-headed honorable Senators we have. Likely as not, he just couldn`t stand all the graft, corruption, and hyprocracy Congress houses. I wish him nothing but the best.

February 9, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  2. Dennis

Webb knows he is out of step with the electorate in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

February 9, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. La, La, La

I liked Mr. Webb. Virginia is for losers. Red states keep Americans from progressing.

February 9, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  4. Thersa

Wait- the Democrats haven't had enough time to fix everything the Republicans messed up. You can't give the country back to them yet.

February 9, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. james Miller

Hey Sam, Reagan wasn`t a Democrat. He was always a "closet" Republican elitist. His "trickle down" economics is largely why we are in the economic disaster we`re in now. It was in reality a "trickle UP" policy. That`s why we have so many SUPER rich now and the middle class is now all but a footnote in history. And the super rich won`t be satisfied until they pay "0" taxes.---- If Reagan was so great, lets go back to the tax structure in place at the end of his Presidency.

February 9, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. PalmReader

Can't say I blame him. When you have a block of voters stuck on crazy such as we now have in the TeaParty, this is a good time as any to throw up your hands and just walk away - better for the TeaParty to eat their own.

February 9, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. T'sah from Virginia

@Refascistican – I will drink to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. Macaca is OUT – he was always OUT and we will get someone in there to BEAT HIM!! Don't count the chickens before they hatch

Webb leaving is really a BLOW
    @Karen, it's okay and I want you to KNOW
    That we will get someone in just as "thoughtful"
    And it won't be "MACACA" that "nose-BLOW"

Thank you Jim Webb for the services you gave to our country and our Senate – Good Luck in your future endeavors!!

February 9, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. Jeff from Va

He has served his (1) term, now time to retire and enjoy the benefits. Those Democrats are so proud of what they have done over the last (2) years, that now they want to leave. GREAT!!!!!

February 9, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  9. terry, va

Webb is an Obummie drone. He knew he couldn't beat Allen. Allen lost to him in 06 in the repub wipe out. The state has returned to their sensesb lately. Not even with all the creating the dumbocraps can do in NOVA and Norfolk will they get a dumbocrap in office again.

February 9, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  10. Colin

Thank you Senator. I don't know what I'd do without your GI Bill. I'd probably be in Afghanistan and not in school. Best of luck!

February 9, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  11. Joseph Condon

I'm so delighted. This couldn't be better news for Virginians. Too bad he qualifies for a congressional pension. Guess he'll be kissing Obama's butt in private now. If Warner would only resign too.

February 9, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  12. John Q.

Probably not "progressive" enough for the current Dem Party elite that control campaign funds, and not really welcome by them anyway. Though I don't know him well, at least he had some common sense on some issues. I wish him well in his new endeavors.

February 9, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  13. Turk Turon

The liberal wing of the Virginia Democratic party is threatening to contest Sen. Webb's nomination. Even if he wins the nomination he would go into the primary with a depleted war-chest, likely facing a Tea-Party endorsed opponent. And Webb doesn't especially enjoy campaigning. So his announcement, while unexpected, is not surprising.

February 9, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Brian

I just finished reading an article detailing how moderate or conservative dems are no longer welcome in their own party. It's pretty obvious that without party support sen Webb would have a heck of a hard time in 2012. IT's a shame as I think he seems like a very reasonable fellow. Hes caught in the murky nether-region between liberal and conservative.

February 9, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  15. dems=quitters

Webb is a scumbag that played politics with our military while its at war. good riddance. he prbly wants to get back to his kiddie pron fiction career.

February 9, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. Jonathan

I voted for Webb 6 years ago and I would again especially if he were running against Allen. I believe Webb just doesn't want to stay in the Senate because regardless of the other posts I've read (probably mostly from people out of state) Allen wouldn't have a chance against Webb. I hate to say it but Webb stepping down is going to be a huge blow to Virginia. Allen was a terrible and stumbling Senator before and will only continue to be a GOP puppet on his return back to Washington as I'm not sure there is a Dem here in VA that can beat him. I'm not sure it's fair to say that Virginia is going back to being red because I'm not sure it was really ever blue. Yes, we did vote in two Democratic Senators and Obama did win here but I'm not sure it really means anything. Given the times we're in people in the Commonwealth and I think people in general are just voting out of anger. In any event, good luck Mr. Webb.

February 9, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Robert - Atlanta

In order to stand out in the today’s republican party you have to keep topping the last crazy thing you did or said. The republicans need to stop pandering to their base, the idle rich, the far rightwing Becker-heads & ‘Baggers and actually do something constructive.

February 9, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. CBKWit

"Sam

Good riddens."

I think this says just about everything you need to know about the contemporary conservative movement.

February 9, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  19. Vic

Sen. Weeb was appointed by Pres. Regan as the Sect. of Navy and became a Democrat because Pres. G. Bush lost his ways.
    Sen. Weeb will be missed in the Senate. I think he would be a phenomenal Secretary of Defense.

February 9, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |