Breaking: Webb not running for reelection
February 9th, 2011

Breaking: Webb not running for reelection

(CNN) – Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat, has decided not to seek reelection, the one term senator announced Wednesday.

Full statement:

Five years ago this week, on February 8, 2006, I announced my intention to run for the United States Senate. We had neither campaign funds nor a staff. We were challenged in a primary, and trailed the incumbent in the general election by more than 30 points in the polls.

Over the next nine months we focused relentlessly on the need to reorient our national security policy, to restore economic fairness and social justice, and to bring greater accountability in our government. I will always be grateful for the spirit and energy that was brought into this campaign by thousands of loyal and committed volunteers. Their enthusiasm and sheer numbers were truly the difference in that election.

It has been a great and continuing privilege to serve in the United States Senate. I am very proud of my talented and dedicated staff, which has worked tirelessly to resolve the issues on which I based my candidacy, and to protect the interests of all Virginians in this national forum. Among other contributions we have given our Post- 9/11 veterans the best GI Bill since World War Two; we have taken the lead in reforming our criminal justice system; we have led the way toward stronger relations in East and Southeast Asia; and we have been a strong voice in calling on China to act more responsibly in the world community. We will continue to work on these and other issues throughout the rest of my term.

However, after much thought and consideration I have decided to return to the private sector, where I have spent most of my professional life, and will not seek re-election in 2012.

Notwithstanding this decision, I have every intention of remaining involved in the issues that affect the well-being and the future of our country.

Filed under: Jim Webb
  1. obama victim

knows he will go down.....dems running like the rats they are

February 9, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. Protect and Defend Freedom of Speech in the USA

WOW! One term and GONE! SWEET!! I guess he could see the writing on the wall. He would have been tied to Obama and wouldn't have gotten re-elected anyways. Obamacare and all the other crazy crap the Democrats jammed down our throats is costing their party dearly.

February 9, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Nadeem

Dem sentators are dropping left and rigt. Looks like they are wearing from all the partisian politics. On the other side of the isle the GOP seems to thrive on being partisan.

February 9, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  4. Rick McDaniel

Washington isn't a very fun place to be, when you lose power.

February 9, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  5. jannett

No the democrats are going to let you have what you think you want. After you all get a load of the GOP fixes, you will be the ones singing the blues. I say cut cut cut, and when you realize what is happening with all the GOP fixes, it will be to late and you will be the ones jumping off buildings.

February 9, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Refascistican

Just because Sen. Webb is leaving doesn't mean we Virginians will be voting Mr. Macaca Allen back into office. I would love to see Rep. Bobby Scott run for the Senate.

February 9, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  7. Danny Cali

Jim Webb, you not a fighter that's why you so "CHICKEN", I think if you ran you will win again. So, now let Tim ran for you seat.

February 9, 2011 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  8. Claudia, Houston, Tx

When Republicans are electing people who are totally uneducated, unqualified and support hate groups, it's time to go.

February 9, 2011 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. J Russ

one of the last Democrats I voted for.................never did fulfill the promise he showed during the campaign

February 9, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  10. diogenes

Yes you republicans should be happy, car thief like darrell issa and the like as opposed to Webb who not only served in Vietnam but was a hero to boot. You guys used to prefer these types of vets/ heros in your midst. Now you prefer nagry men and woman (bachmman et al) to any one with reason.
    A guy like webb you may disagree with, but is he not the type of reasoned and principled one would want in our government?

February 9, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. duckbutter

with a leader like harry reid ,,,, dont blame you... virginia is back to red and you saw it coming... good luck

February 9, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  12. sara

Sure is more money in the private sector. I don't blame him.

February 9, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  13. Elizabeth

Yes to Bobby Scott! It's not like there's any real risk that his district would go to a republican if he left his spot in the House, and he seems like a really good guy.

February 9, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  14. Sam

Good riddens. I have lived in Virgina my whole life and only know a few people that would have voted for him again. The Democratic party is now so liberal there are no Reagan Democrats left.

February 9, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  15. karen

This is a huge loss for VA. Webb is a amoderate Democrat and is one of the only voices of sanity in VA politics today. We have some wackos embarrassing the dignity of our beautiful state, and I have to say that Jim Webb was thoughtful, patriotic and did his job with the class and consideration befitting the position. I am sorry to see him go, because I suspect our roster of clowns will be rounded out by Mr. Maccacca himself.

February 9, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  16. Sue

Based on the recent election results in Virginia, Jim Webb knew that he was going to lose. Therefore, why waste the time and effort.

There are about 23 Democratic Senators up for reelection in 2012--the majority up for reelection in areas that lean conservative. There are only about 6 Republican senators up for reelection in 2012--the majority also in areas that lean conservative.

The Democrats are definitely going to have their work cut out for them-–especially trying to run after Obamacare, tax and cap, unemployment, deficit, Obama, Pelosi, and Reid.

February 9, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  17. Mike

I did not always agree with Jim Webb, but he usually had well reasoned and principled opinions. I can respect him even more now as a true public servant. I do not see him stepping down as a calculation to win or lose in the next election, but more as a dedication to public service and not making a career out of politics. We really could use more Jim Webb's on both sides of the aisle. Thank you for your dedicated service Mr. Webb.

February 9, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  18. Mason

Webb was more moderate that most of his Democratic colleagues. Unfortunately the Democratic party of late just seems to represent government workers, unions, and trial lawyers. I think it is going to take a few rough elections to get some moderation back in the party.

February 9, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. Scott

Good. In two more years the Republicans will have a solid majority in both houses. AND A NEW PRESIDENT!

February 9, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. MikeD

Whatever his motives are, office holders of all persuasions should follow his lead and limit their time in office. The most damage is done by these people that are out of touch with the real world. Some tout their "experience" as an asset but the truth is that they become more and more entrenched in the cesspool and can't seem to see their own corruption. The sheer arrogance that they are the only one that can effectively represent their constituents is disgusting.

February 9, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It was a close election last time around. He knows that his record might not help him enough with the more conservative areas of VA. Despite doing a good job in the Senate, he knows the win he squeaked out with would be infinately harder.

February 9, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. chris

Thanks Sen. Webb for the post 9/11 GI Bill,
    – Iraq vet, current college student.

February 9, 2011 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Scot

This very sad for the State of Virginia and the people of the UNITED states. This man is a principled and dedicated legislator that does not bow down to the clown that are currenting running our government. As I can see from the rants from the right he was a foe to be concerned about. Sorry to see him go.

February 9, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. Elections don't change anything ever

Webb actually had the kind of military service record conservative-leaning folks tried to hang on Bush to cover the nepotism of his electioni, and yet because of the D by his name, he's an "evil NObama supporter too stupid to tie his own shoes" or whatever. Shame on, like, everybody. I give up.

February 9, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  25. Paul

And another good man throws up his hands at the current state of the senate!

February 9, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |