Palin calls potential rival 'Neanderthal'
February 10th, 2011

Palin calls potential rival 'Neanderthal'

Update: Santorum says he and Palin have spoken privately about the issue and are 'fine.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is mixing it up with potential rival Rick Santorum, suggesting the former Pennsylvania senator and presidential hopeful is a "knuckle-dragging Neanderthal."

The eyebrow-raising slap came in response to Santorum's recent comments that Palin was likely skipping an annual gathering of conservatives in Washington this weekend because of other "business opportunities" and her mothering responsibilities.

"I don't live in Alaska and I'm not the mother to all these kids and I don't have other responsibilities that she has," Santorum told conservative online radio host S.E. Cupp in comments that some commentators called sexist.

"Just because I'm a mom that does not mean that I didn't want to be there," Palin responded on Fox News Wednesday night. "I'm the proud mother of five…my kids don't hold me back from attending a conference."

"I will not call him the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal," Palin continued. "I'll let his wife call him that instead."

Santorum meanwhile maintains he never meant to insult Palin but was instead merely stating that she is a busy person.

"We've watched every episode of 'Sarah Palin's Alaska,'" Santorum said on Fox Wednesday. "We enjoy it. I know she has obligations to do other things outside of the work she does at Fox. I said I assume she has other things to do."

Both Santorum and Palin are contributors to Fox News.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. jim

Can't wait for 2012 to be over so the media can forget about this idiot.

February 10, 2011 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  2. LovesIrony

Loving every minute of it

February 10, 2011 08:55 am at 8:55 am |
  3. Darlene

I wonder if O'Reily thinks THESE two are thin skinned like he thinks President Obama is....If she doesn't want to be critizied they should not be running for ANY office.

February 10, 2011 08:58 am at 8:58 am |
  4. dctwmt

Sexist is only one of the things this guy is. He's a danger to this country.

February 10, 2011 08:59 am at 8:59 am |
  5. Bruce

Let them fight it out...the issue is still jobs and the economy. This dialog is childish...back and forth with the character assination.. I can't see either of these two as president of the local high shool alumni much less POTUS. Neither has what it takes to lead this nation, so please go away...the both of you.

February 10, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  6. Lee

It's going to be tough for the GOP hopefulls to make time to slam Democrats when they are busy using ever spare moment to bash each other. And in between, their message is that they are focused and can get things done...suuuure ya can. When you're not whining about who said what to whom. I've seen kindergarteners with thicker skin than some of these politicians.

February 10, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  7. Real Patriots Do MORE than Salute the flag, They educate themselves

Dear Sarah,
    You are the female equivalent of a knuckle dragging neanderthal, and right on par with Pretty Ricky. You and your mouth breathing base will be entertaining to watch debate who's the lowest common denominator. We're laughing at you.

Signed,
    The Educated Portion of "Real" America

February 10, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  8. TiredofSarah

I am very annoyed with Sarah Palin. How can she take offense to what the guy said? He merely stated that she has other responsibilities that he doesn't and then she resorts to name calling?? If this is really the person that some Americans want as their president then our country is in deeper trouble than it already is. She is a poor excuse for an adult. My two year old behaves better than this. Sarah do us all a favor and not show yourself on tv or in a magazine ever again. Matter of fact just go hide out somewhere in Alaska and stare at Russia all day. Thanks!

February 10, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  9. Tommy Boy

As a Pennsylvania resident, I was never a huge Santorum fan, however, I don't think he deserves Palin's venom for sarcastic comments. On the other hand, since she feels he is a Neanderthal, and since I feel she is nothing but a money-grubbing floozy, perhaps he should grab her by the hair and drag her to the conference.

February 10, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  10. Jack Cardwell

If this woman is this defensive against a fellow Republican can you imagine what she will be like dealing with the leaders of other countries. Two rules in her government (1) Palins way and (2) Go back to rule 1.

February 10, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  11. Joe Reardon

These two deserve each other .

February 10, 2011 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  12. Lois

Palin should go back to Alaska. She is a Comic, maybe she can get a job on "Sat. Night Live. " LOL

February 10, 2011 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  13. Margie

Oh dear, such poise, such intelligence we surely need these type of people to run the country. NOT. They are acting like a bunch of children. But they probably haven't developed much beyond that stage. You know like the childest comments of Rush with his neh-neh- hen kiddy comments. Hellooooooooo are there any grown up republicans out there? Don't think so.

February 10, 2011 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  14. Redman, CA

Classy woman....*rolls eyes*

February 10, 2011 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  15. Seattle Sue

Poor Rick, I posted yesterday that Palin would be out for his blood after he said that. Now 24 hours later here is trying to such blood out of him. Both of them will go down in a ball of fire. Two losers.

February 10, 2011 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  16. CJPA

Although Sarah feels compelled to respond to anything and everything, for once, I have to agree with her. Rick Santorum IS a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal, and I say that as one of his previous constituants in PA. He lived in VA and kept a vacant house in PA for "residency requirements" and then lied about it. If he had his way, all womens' rights would be taken away so they could go back to the good ol' days of barefoot and pregnant. He was NOT re-elected here, and whatever makes him think he is Presidential material is just another Santorum delusion.

February 10, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  17. mark

Who cares about the GOP,? They do not care about America and America does not care about them

February 10, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  18. Michael

Where did Sarah get the word Neanderthal ?? It's a new word to her I'm sure. Must have come from one of her "handlers".

February 10, 2011 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  19. Larry Bradenton, FL

Just one more "target" for Palins minions!

February 10, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  20. Larry

The Wasilla Imbecilla spends all of her time lashing out at her oppoinents and critics. When does she have time to come up with moronic statements we have come to love.

February 10, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  21. scott

Seriously folks, Palin and Santorum are possible GOP presidential material? Do you understand the hatred these two represent? I for one am thrilled at least that we don't have to put up with him anymore here in Pennsylvania. He was a stain and an embarrassment (and a liar) from day one.

February 10, 2011 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  22. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

$arah has a "pair" bigger than Santorum's.....lol......Santorum is 'chicken' to take a shot at $arah, but she just hammered him.....Santorum, put your big boy 'pullups' on!

February 10, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  23. al

I'd have gone with a "poopy diaper head" blast, but I guess she's saving that for the campaign trail.

February 10, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  24. once upon a horse

Didn't "pretty Ricky" know that NOBODY is critical of Sarah Palin (except for Huckabee so far) that doesn't get her wrath in return? This is gonna be fun folks, esp. for Palin haters and GOP unlovers as a whole. If Sarah wants to really run for POTUS, which I don't think she does, I mean why take the paycut and as POTUS she can't just talk to FoxNews, Facebook and Twitter, she is going to have to get ready for critics from her own party and I don't think she can handle that very well at all.

February 10, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  25. Brian in Massachusetts

Big deal. They're both knuckle dragging conservative neanderthals but I can only imagine that if one of them is going to be dragging the other back to a cave by the hair, it would be Sarah doing the dragging.

Thanks for the infotainment, CNN.

February 10, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |