Palin calls potential rival 'Neanderthal'
February 10th, 2011

Palin calls potential rival 'Neanderthal'

Update: Santorum says he and Palin have spoken privately about the issue and are 'fine.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is mixing it up with potential rival Rick Santorum, suggesting the former Pennsylvania senator and presidential hopeful is a "knuckle-dragging Neanderthal."

The eyebrow-raising slap came in response to Santorum's recent comments that Palin was likely skipping an annual gathering of conservatives in Washington this weekend because of other "business opportunities" and her mothering responsibilities.

"I don't live in Alaska and I'm not the mother to all these kids and I don't have other responsibilities that she has," Santorum told conservative online radio host S.E. Cupp in comments that some commentators called sexist.

"Just because I'm a mom that does not mean that I didn't want to be there," Palin responded on Fox News Wednesday night. "I'm the proud mother of five…my kids don't hold me back from attending a conference."

"I will not call him the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal," Palin continued. "I'll let his wife call him that instead."

Santorum meanwhile maintains he never meant to insult Palin but was instead merely stating that she is a busy person.

"We've watched every episode of 'Sarah Palin's Alaska,'" Santorum said on Fox Wednesday. "We enjoy it. I know she has obligations to do other things outside of the work she does at Fox. I said I assume she has other things to do."

Both Santorum and Palin are contributors to Fox News.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Angbalti

Although she undoubtedly doesn't know she too has Neanderthal genes. All humans except those of African descent Neanderthal genes. Maybe she should read a little more besides those magazines that háve her or her daughter on the cover.

February 10, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  2. rutts

Can't believe i'm actually agreeing with palin...

February 10, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  3. sara

What shall we do, these children never stop.

February 10, 2011 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  4. mlc in CA

Maybe as a mother of five, (and I'm a mother of four who chose to stay home and raise them until they were well on their way in school,) she might want to make the choice to spend some time with them? Maybe she could teach them to "tweet" with manners, instead of dumb, racist comments? Maybe she could sacrifice her ego for the good of her family? But NO. This is the queen of self-conceit, the meanest, most caustic, and most self-centered woman on the political scene today. Who's dragged the knuckles now, Sarah?

February 10, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  5. ART

Its official this woman is not only stupid but nuts as well. I hope she runs again just for the entertainment factor.

February 10, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  6. Bill C

As long as these two can avoid discussing facts, numbers, and any specifics having to do with the economy or jobs, they are in their element. Kindergarten reigns supreme! Week number six approaches where the Republicans and Tea Party have taken the House, and NOT ONE PIECE OF LEGISLATION has been written or gone to the floor for deficit reduction; for repeal of national health care; for regulatory repeal-NOTHING! Instead, they're yelling about abortion and whether or not the President bowed too low when he met some other world leaders. Check it out on C-SPAN-it's a disgrace.

February 10, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  7. Francisco Cardenas

the GOP has sunk to a new low with these people

February 10, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  8. rusty155

More hateful remark from Saran Palin . Everything that come out of that woman mouth Is Hateful or Racist. Not only In Saran Palin Is the most Unqualified person to run for any Public Office of any kind. This woman Is Just bad for America.Her so call Tea Party backer keep saying It time too take America back, I all way though that we were all America so who we taking back from. The people I see we to take It back from Is Saran Palin and the dumb people that support Her and the Koch Brother that trying too control the GOV. This woman need to just go away , she all ready making the U.S. the laughing stock of the world. She all ready got the U.S thinking she nothing but a big JOKE And dumb as hell.

February 10, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  9. trashcup

Her family hasn't held her back yet – she drags them everywhere she goes – we are all tired of seeing her kids dragged all over the media purposely. She claims the media doesn't leave them alone – the only way that's going to happen is if she leaves them at home away from the cameras.

Not to mention Santorum was 100% correct – Palin won't go anywhere that doesn't make her cash.

DREAM TICKET – SNOOKY and PALIN

February 10, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  10. Brenda

Irrelevant drama queen.

February 10, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  11. William

"I'm the proud mothe of five" tells the whole story about what responsibilities she should prioritize and shows what she "does for Sarah" instead of accepting family responsibility. Her attitude is that her husband and her children are far back in her priorities. Instead, she is promoting herself and making a huge amount of money.

February 10, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  12. Justin

This is a poor excuse for journalism. I watched the interview. Her exact words were "I am not going to call him a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal..." Who is your boss, you should be fired!

February 10, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  13. BlackPanthers2020

To think that some people actually want this woman to run our country , she responds to every little critisim like a third grader . People in her party really need to come out and tell her how incompetent she is and she doesn't have a snowballs chance of winninng any kind of election anywhere.......................to all her supporters , Palin is an after thought to many in this country...............

February 10, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  14. Sunny

Whatever the reason for not being able to attend conference may be, do nto lose the main reason. You need brains!

February 10, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  15. T'sah from Virginia

"I don't live in Alaska and I'm not the mother to all these kids
    and I don't have other responsibilities that she has” [so I’m a better candidate]
    [And knowing Palin - she shoots right back - with a response we’re forced to HEAR]
    “Just because I'm a mom that does not mean that I didn't want to be there”

"I'm the proud mother of five…my kids don't hold me back
    from attending a conference [so Santorum’s comments are really WHACK!]

"I will not call him the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal
    "I'll let his wife call him that INSTEAD."
    [And MOST know me, I cannot RISE above it ALL]
    [So Santorum just drop DEAD!!!]

Rotflmao – Could you imagine if President Obama responded in this way to all of the riff raff being said about him NOW, and during his campaign, how the American people would digest it? Sarah Palin and Santorum – and all others the RIGHT are pushing to be president – would NEVER succeed and they know it. They’re using FOX NEWS as a platform to push their books and PAC funds to LIVE LARGE!!!

February 10, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  16. Eric in Manhattan

This is the first time I have EVER agreed with Palin. Probably the last, too.

February 10, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  17. Grundoon

ROFLMAO!! While I can't stand Santorum, this comment did not warrant that intense of a response. Sarah is losing it!!

February 10, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  18. Shane

Oh dear, such big words from the dimwit. I wonder how long she had to practice them.

February 10, 2011 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  19. Buffy08

And this is even funnier because she doesn't believe in evolution.

February 10, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  20. rusty155

CNN Saran Palin Is Not NEWS , She a joke. She UNQUALIFIED to run for any Public Office of any kind.

February 10, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  21. MiddleOfTheRoad

Keep talkin' Sarah.....I love it.

February 10, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  22. edged25

much ado about nothing ..CNN is trying to start a fight . I look forward to president Palins time in the oval office

February 10, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  23. John

Well, hopefully this will illustrate to her handful of loyal supporters how vindictive and mean-spirited she really is. The lady's a psycho.

February 10, 2011 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  24. Ship of Fools

but...but...but....I wuv you, Sawah!!!! I didn mean it, weally!!!!

February 10, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  25. FactCheck

This is blatantly false. Sarah Palin couldn't have said this as the word is more than 2 syllables long.

February 10, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |