Palin calls potential rival 'Neanderthal'
February 10th, 2011

Palin calls potential rival 'Neanderthal'

Update: Santorum says he and Palin have spoken privately about the issue and are 'fine.'

(CNN) – Sarah Palin is mixing it up with potential rival Rick Santorum, suggesting the former Pennsylvania senator and presidential hopeful is a "knuckle-dragging Neanderthal."

The eyebrow-raising slap came in response to Santorum's recent comments that Palin was likely skipping an annual gathering of conservatives in Washington this weekend because of other "business opportunities" and her mothering responsibilities.

"I don't live in Alaska and I'm not the mother to all these kids and I don't have other responsibilities that she has," Santorum told conservative online radio host S.E. Cupp in comments that some commentators called sexist.

"Just because I'm a mom that does not mean that I didn't want to be there," Palin responded on Fox News Wednesday night. "I'm the proud mother of five…my kids don't hold me back from attending a conference."

"I will not call him the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal," Palin continued. "I'll let his wife call him that instead."

Santorum meanwhile maintains he never meant to insult Palin but was instead merely stating that she is a busy person.

"We've watched every episode of 'Sarah Palin's Alaska,'" Santorum said on Fox Wednesday. "We enjoy it. I know she has obligations to do other things outside of the work she does at Fox. I said I assume she has other things to do."

Both Santorum and Palin are contributors to Fox News.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Drew Williams

Idiot and Idioter, both about as presidential as a toilet seat.

February 10, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  2. Vince

Another Palin grade-school retort. She's gonna do wonders in debates.

February 10, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  3. TheDaver

Would that mean she believes in evolution?

February 10, 2011 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  4. EddyL

Does this moron ever know when to keep her stupid mouth shut?

February 10, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  5. frogman

God, I never thought that I would agree with Sarah Palin but when she's right she's right. OK this may be the first time she's ever been right but I've always thought that Rick Santorum was a knuckle dragging Neanderthal.

February 10, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  6. Laurie

A mature response from a woman who could have been President. Makes you shudder to think of that.

February 10, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  7. Dnick47

Why CNN do you keep focusing on this looser? A snowball in a Christmas kitchen has more of a chance then she does... Please, no more Palin reports, PLEASE!!!!

February 10, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  8. John Ellis

It will be a Titanic struggle between the two of them for the idiot vote. And I hope they get the nomination under the condition that their campaign will meet the fate of the Titanic in the general election. They should be married, they deserve each other.

February 10, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  9. brad

Geez. She is making this too easy. I think CNN needs to interview the people who love/support this woman and Santorum. I really just don't get it. Please enlighten me.

February 10, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  10. DEADINSIDE

I'm assuming it's very hard to let your defenses down when most everyone on the planet, rightfully, hates your guts!

February 10, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  11. Chas in Iowa

These two will try to out GOP each other to keep there jobs at Faux News.
    Niether one is relevant to the actual politics of our country, they are just the sideshow..

February 10, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  12. LMC

Rick's comments were insensitive, but Sarah just can't take the heat.

February 10, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  13. J

Keep hitting back Sarah, it's the best part.

February 10, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  14. chris87654

Normally I back anyone taking shots at Sarah (she makes it too easy), but these two sound like a couple of teenagers. If that's the "best" Santorum can do (making excuses for Sarah not attending), then he should have just kept his mouth shut. On other hand, I ALWAYS love to see jabbering idiots prove themselves as nothing more – I'm tired of political sideshows and am STARVING for details of a good Republican plan to help the USA. Republicans are on probation for 634 more days – hopefully they don't waste it by criticizing the current administration, worrying about what Palin will do, and (inevitably, with all the fractures) taking pot shots at each other.

February 10, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  15. LordPet

wow, for once she is right about something

February 10, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  16. Clwyd

Palin reaches new lows of intelligence. She better watch out the members of her party are getting fed up with this quitter and bimbo! I love it being a liberal democrat, but former republican. Just keep driving more of us into the arms of the democrats and see how you guys do come 2012!

February 10, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  17. runner305

Palin lashes out...nothing new at all. What a spiteful, shallow woman!

February 10, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  18. PATRICK

One of the first statements she has made thats actually correct.....

ROFL

February 10, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  19. Sammy Sosa

And so it begins......

February 10, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  20. bob

Stick in there Santorum. Don't back down like every other Republican does when Palin starts a tirade. If Palin is on the ticket, I will guarantee you she will not even come close to winning. It is obvious Palin's skin it way too thin to run for President. She whines about every single little tiny thing. I would vote for the most liberal nutbag before I would vote for Palin.

February 10, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Rationalist

On the evolutionary ladder, if he's a "knuckle-dragging Neanderthal," that puts her all the way back at the beginning, a great ape

February 10, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  22. Justin

"I will not call him the knuckle-dragging Neanderthal," Palin continued..... Joan of snark strikes again.

February 10, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  23. The Real Tom Paine

For once, I actually like what she said. Can't wait to see them in the break room at Fox.

February 10, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  24. Al-NY,NY

She is right....but so is he. She defers her mothering to the "first dude" since she is never in Alaska. She instead spends her time touring the country (and world ) on her "Look at me. Pay me to speak. I can't go two days without being highlighted in the news by the 'lamestream media' who hate me" tour

February 10, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  25. ThatsHilarious

Another fine example of why Meretricia Palin is unworthy to lead in, or even participate in the government of, your great country.

February 10, 2011 09:41 am at 9:41 am |