Rand Paul on Donald Trump: 'his chances are less than my father's'
February 10th, 2011

Rand Paul on Donald Trump: 'his chances are less than my father's'

Washington (CNN) - Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is standing up for his Dad. In an interview with CNN he said Donald Trump will regret taking a dig at Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, during his address to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) gathering.

In his first public address to CPAC Donald Trump said Rep Ron Paul of Texas "has zero chance of being elected" president. The crowd, filled with Ron Paul supporters, booed loudly. (Trump got a very friendly reception, Paul diss aside.)

CPAC is the longest running and largest annual conference of conservatives and is of particular note this year as it's become an early cattle-call for potential GOP presidential candidates.

The son, Senator Rand Paul, seemed amused by the whole thing. Laughing he told CNN Donald Trump "decided to mention something about the un-electability of my father and the crowd was somewhat partisan towards my father and they didn't like it." He added "I think it was probably a mistake for him to say in that crowd."

When asked by CNN about Donald Trump's chances of winning should he run for President the Senator said he considered making a joke about that topic during his own address to CPAC but then decided to take the high road.

Still, when pressed he smiled and said of Trump: "I think his chances are less than my father's."

Filed under: CPAC 2011 • Rand Paul
  1. Rich

This is his year. Mark my words. He will make a huge difference, win or lose.

February 10, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. Mike Allard

So Trump donates thousands to Hillary Clinton, then votes for Obama in 08. Next he claims Bush is worst President in history...then donates thousands to Rham Emanuel's Mayoral campaign. Then his grand crescendo is to enter the Presidential campaign as a Republican and tops it off by dissing all of Ron Paul's supporters by saying Paul can't be elected. Wow! What an enormous idiot!

February 10, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  3. 21k

bad hair aside, at least he knows how to run a business, and fire people when they don't perform. he knows enough not to try and teach abstinence, like some people.

February 10, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. T'sah from Virginia

Dag – what is the RIGHT coming to ------ An END!!!! I LMAO every time they SPEAK!! Trump – with his ELECTRIC SLIDE hairdo – thinks he can STEP IN and TAKE OVER!!! First he has to WIN the RIGHT – 2nd, he has to BEAT President Obama – and he WON'T!!!

February 10, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. Aaron

He goes after Trump, but is obviously afraid of Palin.

February 10, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. normajean

From what I can see, none of the three of you have a chance in h-l of being elected to "dog catcher:You all have your minimal public identification, but none of you has qualities that are needed to be president..!

February 10, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  7. Lloyd Ritchey

Either of the Doctors Paul know more about economics, political philosophy, and principled action than the rest of the GOP combined. Trump is simply a rich blow-hard icon of consumerism and a media whore to boot. I'd wipe my backside with the Constitution before I voted for him as it'd be tantamount to the same action.

February 10, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  8. vic nashville tn

Last I watched Piers Morgan tonight I guess Rand Paul didn’t watch
    I start to like Donald Trump

February 10, 2011 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  9. Don

I actually agree with the Randster, which would make this a first. However, neither his father nor Trump stand a chance.

February 10, 2011 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  10. Gary Patridge

Why is the political establishment afraid of Ron Paul?

Could it be that they can't stand the honesty?
    Is it that they won't acknowledge that America is going broke trying to contol the world?
    Is it that they won't acknowledge that America is going broke trying to micromanage its citizens?
    Is it because they don't want people to know that our (the world's) monetary system is debt-based (to whom?)?

Ron Paul is REAL hope for America.

February 10, 2011 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  11. Victoria

Good for him!I I like Rand's style. He wanted to graciously let Trumpster off the hook, but when pressed admitted what a goof Trump made. Rand is shaking up the establishment in D.C. We need more like him.

February 10, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  12. Shannon

Ron, at least Donald Trump has accomplished something with his life, he's built a financial empire, while the tea party, just wants to destroy everything American stands for. You want to eliminate the Department of Education, it sems you want your base even dumber than they already are. I guess that way when one of your hired thugs stomps on a woman's head, they won't notice it so much.

February 10, 2011 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  13. rusty155

That (1) thing I agree with you on. But that about It.

February 10, 2011 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |