Rand Paul on Donald Trump: 'his chances are less than my father's'
February 10th, 2011

Rand Paul on Donald Trump: 'his chances are less than my father's'

Washington (CNN) - Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is standing up for his Dad. In an interview with CNN he said Donald Trump will regret taking a dig at Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, during his address to the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) gathering.

In his first public address to CPAC Donald Trump said Rep Ron Paul of Texas "has zero chance of being elected" president. The crowd, filled with Ron Paul supporters, booed loudly. (Trump got a very friendly reception, Paul diss aside.)

CPAC is the longest running and largest annual conference of conservatives and is of particular note this year as it's become an early cattle-call for potential GOP presidential candidates.

The son, Senator Rand Paul, seemed amused by the whole thing. Laughing he told CNN Donald Trump "decided to mention something about the un-electability of my father and the crowd was somewhat partisan towards my father and they didn't like it." He added "I think it was probably a mistake for him to say in that crowd."

When asked by CNN about Donald Trump's chances of winning should he run for President the Senator said he considered making a joke about that topic during his own address to CPAC but then decided to take the high road.

Still, when pressed he smiled and said of Trump: "I think his chances are less than my father's."

Filed under: CPAC 2011 • Rand Paul
  1. Indy

The problem with people like Trump and Palin is they think they are adored but reality is they are both jokes to the rest of the world. Reality TV stars have outrageous opinions of themselves and Ron Paul has more intellegence in his pinky the Trump and Palin combined. We all laugh at palin and Trump and they mistake that laughter for support.

February 10, 2011 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Guess what Rand Paul, let your "daddy" speak for himself because you too are unelectable. This suggest Rand Paul is saying you must take me or my daddy. I don't think so.

February 10, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  3. ThinkAgain

Gee, Paul's dad's chances are less than a snowballs in Hades ... didn't think there could be less of a chance than that!

February 10, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Larry C Wilson

While I voted for Obama in '08, I would vote for Ron Paul in '12. If Paul doesn't run as the GOP candidate, I'll stick with Obama...at least at this time.

February 10, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. joe blow

alfred e. neumann is well acquainted with being less than a zero

February 10, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  6. Ron Paul FTW

Donald Trump is joke!

If I ever need someone to dropkick my business into bankruptcy, I might call Trump. If I ever need someone to mooch off my family for bailouts, I might call Trump. If I need advise on how to cheat my marriage, I might call Trump. If I need advice on how to glue a toupee to my head, I might call Trump.

If I need a true Conservative/Republican, I'll call Ron Paul.

February 10, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  7. Tom Dybowski

Dr. Ron Paul Hope for America!
    info at Daily Paul and Liberty Poet websites.

February 10, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. José

AynRand Paul is absolutely going to be President someday – of THE CORPORATE SUBSIDIARIES OF AMERICA! At least Rand won't have to worry about any uprisings since everyone will be dying from pollution, cancer, health problems, malnutrition, lead poisoning, water contamination, mumps, measles, polio, and diarrhea. I hear they are about to finally do away with that pesky constitution thing and rewrite a brand new Tea Party Constitution complete with the second amendment and signed by David and Charles Koch.

February 10, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. Guest

Watching the drama in selecting the next republican to go up against our President in 2012 will be interesting to say the least. They (Palin, Trump, Paul, Romney, Newt, etc) will drag each other through the mud and back again. This will not be a great reflection of the grand ole' party. The best thing the democrats can do is focus on improving the job market and reducing the deficit.....and take some enjoyment once in awhile in what is poised to be a spectacular train wreck on the Right.

February 10, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  10. Adam

RP is my President.

Trump is a complete corporatist who couldn't carry rp's briefcase on markets, what money is and how it is created.

February 10, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  11. Jefferson

lol Rand Paul is right ... trump as about a -100% chance of ever being elected. Ron Paul on the other hand actually HAS won 10+ elections ... the "can't win" argument is complete hogwash ... the election of tea party turncoat Scott Brown proved that. Brown .. who couldn't win was behind by about 30 points and he managed to edge out a win ...

There argument that someone can't win is simply put there because YOU DONT WANT THEM TO WIN ...
    First the ignored Ron Paul, Then they laughed at Ron Paul, Now they are attacking Ron Paul, and now it's time to WIN.

All Trump did was use his speech as a stump speech for President .. he didn't talk about any philosophy any ideas ... he pretty much just said I'm the best and I'll fix America and look at my great hair piece. In the meantime .. the ideas espoused by Mr. Trump, while self-proclaiming to be the best, included PROTECTIONISM – ANTI MARKET ... mention of CHINESE CENTRAL BANKING with ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF AMERICAN MARKET MANIPULATION ... a significant militant streak ... as if US FOREIGN POLICY should be continued to be run like the GANGSTER POLICY THAT IT IS ... you don't go to foreign nations and TELL THEM what they are going to charge for THEIR PRODUCTS ... THAT'S CALLED THEFT ... and it is inconsistent with Private Property Rights and Individual Rights. He is OBVIOUSLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE.

February 10, 2011 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  12. Ron Paul for President

I generally respect Trumps achievements, but to disrespect a true patriot like Ron Paul is beneath him. I would imagine his appearance at CPAC is to get his name in the news to help promote some upcoming venture of his.

February 10, 2011 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  13. diridi

they both are brainless idiots...o.k...no way for presidency...o.k...

February 10, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  14. Sgt Schultz

True...Ron Paul is the only Republican that had the guts to stand-up against Cheney's War in Iraq. I would like to see Ron Paul run...but the GOP never seems to get along much with Libertarian types.

February 10, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  15. Four and The Door

Hey, Obama got elected. He actually got elected! Enough people bought his schtick that that they actually poked a hole next to where it said Obama. He will not get elected again, but it's just crazy the opportunities for getting elected in America.

February 10, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. Clwyd

Paul, both father and son, along with Trump are loonies from the right! Both need to be ignored as possible presidential contenders. The republican party is out of control!

February 10, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  17. John in Sacramento

Wow...that's two times today I find myself agreeing with Rand Paul! First on his statement that he will vote against the so-called Patriot Act if it comes up for a vote in the Senate, and now about his father having a better chance than Mr. Combover Donald Trump to become POTUS.

February 10, 2011 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  18. Roscoe

Palin, Huckabee, Romney, Paul, Bachman....and now Trump. Does the freak show ever end? Sure looking forward to seeing who Bristol and Levi endorse.

February 10, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. Ancient Texan

Trump is a bit too controversial to win the nomination, but I have to admit a lot of what he says concerning our position in the world makes a lot of sense. By the same token Ron Paul has some very smart common-sense statements that are disregarded by the general public.

February 10, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  20. Gaylon Barrow

What the devil do you think your chances ARE? You're so far behind Palin you'll have to carry her suitcases. Hopefully that will be so. For we certainly don't need you and your gun control ideals. They are just plain dumb. From a once Democrat for 50 years. But thank the Lord no more. We need people who care about people and you sir are not it. Why do tyou think over the years why other countries have not invaded us. BECAUSE YOU DUMMY EVERYONE IS ARMED AND WILL DEFEND THIS COUNTRY. GO GET WITH OBAMA THIS IS HIS AIM ALSO. BOT OF YOU ARE MORONS.

February 10, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  21. Tom

Fight it out GOP boys and girls. In the meantime, until you get your act together the Democrats are going to run away with all the major elections.

February 10, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  22. Bill from GA

I saw Donald Trump on CNN last night, telling us what he would do if he were president. He doesn't seem to know the difference betweem president and dictator. His "solutions" to America's problems would never get past the dems or repugs in Congress.

February 10, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  23. fayse

This is probably the single intelligent, independent thing that Mr. Rubber Stamp of the Tea Party has ever said.

February 10, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  24. dot

This country is in bad enough shape without a philandering womanizer and egotistical jerk to try and be president.
    This man is not presidental material. We need somone who understands people and care about this country not just a money makeing machine.
    He would love to be in front of cameras all the time and brag about his accompolishments. I would say we are going from bad to worse.

February 10, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  25. midnitejax

While I am no fan of the Rands, I can only speak to what I know. I know that Trump was born with a silver spoon stuck in his keaster. I know that his Taj Mahal casino went belly up in Atlantic City, while the other casinos stayed afloat. I know that in the late 1980's , he couldn't pay his fuel bills for his private helicopter based in Linden, N. J. They surrounded his helicopter with trucks so it couldn't take off, until the bill was paid. I know he cheated on his wife (Ivana) with Marla Maples, and denied it all along. He later married Maples and dumped her too. His moral compass is askew. He ddoesn't have the character that I would want in a candidate.

February 10, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |