Paul gets CPAC crowd on their feet
February 11th, 2011

Paul gets CPAC crowd on their feet

Washington (CNN) - Texas Rep. Ron Paul addressed the Conservative Political Action Conference Friday, repeating the mantra of limited government that has rocketed him to stardom among a certain segment of conservative activists.

Easily garnering the most enthusiastic applause of the day, Paul advocated for a complete governmental retreat in every realm of society.

"We've had way too much bipartisanship for about 60 years," said Paul, in comments that drew one of many standing ovations during the 25-minute speech. "It's the bipartisanship of the welfare system, the warfare system…it all goes through with support from both parties. "

"There is truly a revolution going on in this country. We live in a time where we don't just need a change in attitude and a change in ideas," Paul also said. "We need to change our philosophy about what this country is all about. "

Paul, who ran a quixotic presidential bid in 2008 that caught fire with many fiscal conservatives and libertarians, added the crisis in Egypt is further proof American needs to disentangle from its foreign engagements.

"We need to do a lot less, a lot sooner, not only in Egypt, but around the world," he said. "The people don't like us propping up our dictators no more than we would like it if a foreign country propped up a dictator here."

Paul was the winner of the straw poll here last year, and, judging by the reception of the over-capacity crowd, is a favorite to win again. This year's straw poll will be closely watched given the annual event has become an early testing ground for potential GOP presidential candidates.

Filed under: CPAC 2011 • Ron Paul
  1. Jim

I don't know about a Trump/Paul ticket. Why would I want Trump as prez? And I wouldn't want Ron Paul as vice-prez. I could see RP as prez, but VP is a joke.

February 11, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Ty

Keep telling it like it is Ron. Go Ron Go!! We need to clone you to keep you going.

February 11, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Remember if you vote Paul you get both, Pres and VP, you won't get one without the other and I won't tell you which one is nuttier than the other.

February 11, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. ethan

You run Ron and I'll vote for you again. He really is a fantastic speaker I went up to Lansing to see him speak during the 2008 elections.

February 11, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  5. Intel_Ace

Yes, Ron Paul is one of a rare few that tell the truth inside the DC Beltway. This whole left/right paradigm of the establishment duopoly is getting silly and old.

It's time for a leader that will expose the fraudsters on Wall Street to the Cozy Crone Capital Hill. Always remember, the establishment government's policies are mainly to protect themselves first with your money. Ron Paul is the only one that puts the people first and always have their rights, freedoms and liberties.

I'm voting for this guy... tired of the Kabuki theater of these Fascists and Socialists.

February 11, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. danpa

RON PAUL to the rescue...........
    RUN RON, RUN........

February 11, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  7. 1lumpsum

I like Ron Paul. He has been the best polititian at fighting against Big Government, wasteful spending and and debt. He would make a great President, and I would be happy for him to be President, BUT.............HE CAN NOT WIN! His "followers" are like cult zombies. I have always disliked Donald Trump, BUT after viewing and reading his recent speaches and interviews on Politics/Debt/Government/Foreign Policy....He'd get my vote.

February 11, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  8. Duude

Anyone ever just note the headlines on CNN's political website? If there is any negative story or story that puts a bad light on either party, it is always, always, always a negative Republican story. But CNN claims to be even handed? Why do they make such claims? Are CNN viewers that stupid as to believe what they say?

February 11, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  9. Coolness

Ron Paul for the win. America isn't smart enough to elect him unfortunately.

February 11, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  10. mhkp716

Trump is right, Ron can't get elected. Ron Paul doesn't add anything of value here.

February 11, 2011 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. Paul Willson

Does he want to retreat to the 18th century. Grow up sir otherwise the conservative movement may just become history

February 11, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Sgt Schultz

Good for you Ron Paul. Paul has a few extreme views but he is better than anyone else the GOP has to offer ( not much ). I applaud Ron Paul for being the only Republican to have the guts to question Darth Cheney.

February 11, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. Richard

@Waldo – Anyone who continues to bring up the old newsletter issue is either deliberately misleading or willfully ignorant. Which is it? Two minutes and Google will show he never wrote or said those things.

February 11, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. blue

The only GOP candidate worth a damn is Ron Paul.

February 11, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  15. Doug

Amazing how much ignorant hate comes from the left.

As for those with the Brazil, Iran and Somalia comments... consider for a moment that the Federal budget equates to $12,000 + PER PERSON. Do you pay your portion, and that of your kids? As someone who pays many times that in taxes, I say bring on a full retreat!!

Go Ron!

February 11, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  16. jon

"quixotic" every fing article written about the guy. Its amazing

February 11, 2011 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  17. Jerry Hermes

Despite being correct on so many issues, Donald Trump was 100% accurate when he told the audience that Ron Paul is simply not electable. Electability is the only thing that actually matters. (See Barry Goldwater 1964, Gerald Ford 1976, Michael Dukakis 1988, Bob Dole 1996).

February 11, 2011 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  18. T'sah from Virginia

If he is so great – why does he always LOSE?

February 11, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  19. Freedomroad

Some you need to go back and find what the founders stood for and you will see that Ron'a ideas are based on the limited powers outlined in the constitution! And for the Brazil comment, well if you like communism so much by all means move to one of those countries. Where do you get off thinking that the working people need to keep giving our blood sweat and tears to those who refuse to work so they can stand with there hands out waiting more and more entitlements while it drives the entire world bankrupt!!! You don't even have to watch fox to get that news, but you do need a brain...

February 11, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. CptKendrick

Yeehaw, boy howdy! This shur does rise my semi-learned up from just watching Larry the Cable Guy!

February 11, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  21. Dingus

Refreshing to see a conservative other than Palin or Santorium on the Ticker. Ron Paul has my vote. An earlier commenter suggested reading "Revolution." It is an excellent book and poses the many neglected questions about the role of government. Go go go Ron!

February 11, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  22. LibertyLooms

The Republicans need a revolution within their ranks and Ron Paul IS the revolution. Disentangle militarily abroad, slash the size of the Federal government, end the Federal Reserve. What side, gentle reader, are you on?

February 11, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  23. Charlie

I don't understand where Ron Paul racism comes from. He supports individual liberty, and that means treating everyone equally. No special rights based on gender or race. It also means that I have the right to exclude groups of people from private clubs or businesses if I so choose. That doesn't mean Ron Paul is racist, but it would make me questionable if I chose to exercise that liberty.

If I did, it would still be within my rights, and the government has no right to tell me that I must allow group A or group B to be included. If you don't like that, then you could boycott my company, spread the word, and put pressure on me to change my ways. You just have no right to use government force to get me to act in a manner that you deem "better". So long as I am respecting the equal rights of others and causing no harm, the government should mind its own business.

February 11, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  24. Clwyd

Go with this fool and I can assure you 2012 will be the end of the teabuggers and maybe the republican party. As a former republican who left the party during the Reagan years I don't think you could make me any happier!

February 11, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. Freedomroad

I also agree with many of you that Ron will probably not win, but I don't think trump is playing with a full deck either. Although I like a successful business man that wouldn't be there for the money and be bought by special interests... I do think that this country is way too addicted to handouts (entitlements) I don't know why so many people somehow this it's their right to take from others that happened to have been successful in life not counting the obvious crooks!

February 11, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |