Coulter politics 101
February 12th, 2011

Coulter politics 101

Washington (CNN) - Conservative syndicated columnist Ann Coulter came to the Conservative Political Action Conference Saturday with her customary soapbox and her lecturer's cap.

Coulter delivered a litany of conservative one-liners at CPAC during a speech that, at times, felt much like a classroom lecture, complete with a question and answer session.

CPAC is the largest annual gathering of conservative-minded activists, which this year is extra-important because it's the first cattle-call of potential 2012 Republican presidential candidates.

"The big news this week is liberals favor democracy in the Middle East," she began, "Liberals could not have been less interested in democracy when we were taking out the guy who gassed his neighbors…when we went to take out Saddam Hussein."

"But now liberals are shocked and appalled to discover there's a dictator in the Middle East."

And for Coulter, lessons on how to operate in Egypt should be taken from the examples of Iraq and Iran. "It's not as clear what the outcome is in Egypt," she said, "It was clear in Iraq and we had American servicemen there to ensure it went accurately…"

"Iraq and Iran are very similar because their people are sane, their leaders are insane, in the latter case you don't want to take out sane leaders and allow democracy in," she said. "In Iran there had been an election, the moderates won and Ahmadinejad stole the election, there hasn't been an election in Egypt."

"Why do we want to be stirring up trouble in that country? We can't do that in every country… you don't go around disturbing countries where you have a loyal ally."

Criticizing President Barack Obama for turning over "our entire health care system to the DMV," she slammed both foreign and domestic policy under "liberal" leadership.

And when asked why the U.S. should support Israel knowing that there are jailed dissidents and journalists, she joked, "What do you mean? I think there should be more jailed journalists."

But federal spending was a serious matter, and Coulter lectured, "We have this problem in our democracy that we keep voting people in who give grants…unless you vote for people who will cut spending, spending will not get cut."

Coulter offered up a prediction for 2012 when prompted, saying "If you don't run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee," an answer that was met with boos from the audience.

She offered up a stinging critique of Democrats when asked to speak about CPAC's controversial inclusion of the conservative, gay and lesbian group GOProud, saying "Liberals want to use gays as a cat's paw to attack the family because liberals want families destroyed… because then you have loyalty directly to the state."

Initially balking at the request to name her least favorite Democrat by responding that it was "like naming my least favorite disease," Coulter revealed "I can't hate Jim Webb, he served our country… he's such an honorable man… Bobby Rush, former black panther. John Lewis, a terrible, terrible liberal now, but a hero for freedom rights, he's one that's hard to hate because of his proud history."

And on inclusion, Coulter had this to say, "I am as born-again evangelical Christian as they come… the gay argument is why do conservatives act like our sins are worse then their sins…and no, of course not… I would like gays to be part of conservatism just the way women are without there being a special designation for it, that's what I'd prefer."

"The left is trying to co-opt gays and I don't think we should let them, they should be on our side."

This may be due in no small part to Coulter's affinity for gays with whom she shares "a lot in common." "We like the same music, we like the same cocktails, and we like a lot of the same men."

Filed under: Ann Coulter • CPAC 2011
  1. Gai In Orlando

Sorry Ann, that will NEVER ever happen and your likes are far from ours, there's nothing in common with you. I care for people and what they stand for as individuals, something you can't do.

February 12, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. Harold

"Here's a lesson of history: Do not allow Democrats anywhere near foreign policy. Not even to keep them away from domestic policy." What, is she kidding? Like the GOP did a great job at foreign policy... Her president Bush and Cheney got everything wrong on foreign policy, but the GOP filter doesn't allow her to see that i guess.

February 12, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  3. Tony

Republicans like democracy so much that they forgot to ask the Iraqis whether they want the U.S. to invade. Hussein might have gassed his neighbors, but we took him out, and, in the process, took out 4000 of our troops and untold number of Iraqis. In Saddam's place we get a government that is pro-Iran. If today's Iraq is what we get from sending our troops to "ensure it went accurately" in Iraq, then we are lucky that Republicans did not get a chance to "ensure it went accurately" in Iran.

February 12, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  4. Leon Long

Speaking as a liberal, I'd like to thank Sarah Palin... For distracting us from Ann Coulter! The worst part about CPAC is it gives the rightest-of-the-right a microphone and TV time. Let's keep Coulter on the radio, and out of my face.

February 12, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  5. What an idiot

This ones an idiot. I think she thinks that democracy and blind fascist corporatism are the same and whatever Liberals are for is just pure evil. If she is looking for evil, she need to go no further than a mirror.

February 12, 2011 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  6. johnrj08

Ann Coulter is a performer. She says whatever she thinks will enhance her 'brand'. Who knows what she actually believes? Like Sarah Palin, everything she says is designed to promote herself and draw attention to herself.

February 12, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  7. lance corporal

it always amazes me when I see anything this person says that the radical right is so taken in by such an obvious snake oil salesman, why don't ,ore people realize she makes a very good living by inflaming like this, there is no possible way any educated (and she is) person could believe the extreme rhetoric she.... spews, there is no democratic/left version of this, air america failed, the left doesn't seem .... as extreme. I'm a registered independent so I'm not a "team" player and just a regular working american who is dismayed by what is going on in our country and I gotta tell ya, it is THIS exact sort of NON SENSICAL hate as spewed by this bizarre person that scares me more than anything, it is a sad day when this sort of talk is glorified

February 12, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. Victoria

Ron Paul had the strongest support and is a clear leader in conservative politics. I can't wait for the GOP to get behind Ron Paul for a win against Obama!

February 12, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. Sid Prejean

Mission accomplished for Ann Counter.
    Step 1: Spout any tripe you can think of.
    Step 2: Get a headline so people will know you're still alive.
    No step 3.

February 12, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  10. True American

"It's a mistake to ask those who don't even like democracy to defend it".....er..Anne....you do know...the United States is a republic.

February 12, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  11. Johnson

"Here's a lesson of history: Do not allow Democrats anywhere near foreign policy. Not even to keep them away from domestic policy. It's a mistake to ask those who don't even like democracy to defend it," she said. I am a U.S Army Soldier and a Democrat, I guess I can fight for my my country whether not it is a just of unjust war but in her words I should not be anywhere near foreign policy if ever elected for office. Since when has the Republican way in America is the only way and when did they become the real patriots.

February 12, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  12. Ken Klein

Right wing Republicans like Colter are in favor of narrowbanding American society. This is not democracy. Democracy, like Obama said yesterday, is listening to every American voice. Keeping an open mind. Right wing Republicans are jealous of Barack Obama because he is tryingto move America forward and thereby promoting much needed Economic and Social reforms.

February 12, 2011 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  13. AmFem

Ann Coulter... Yeccck.

February 12, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  14. markiejoe

God Coulter's a bore.

February 12, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  15. adrifter

I was going to ask why anyone would care what this offensive, hateful woman has to say. Of course, then I realized I had opened the story to read it. I guess it's because I, like other people, enjoy being shocked and offended. It's like going to a horror movie. I emjoy it in a odd way, but I don't believe a word of it. A horror movie is like Coulter's opinions – fantasy, craziness and nonsense.

February 12, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  16. Kalinda

Wow... If she built anymore liberal strawmen she'd have enough to make herself a nice big mansion. Oh, wait, no – she already does.

She's horrible and she makes sane conservatives look bad.

February 12, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  17. Chloe in Chatsworth, CA

How can a transexual be "as born-again evangelical Christian as they come"?

February 12, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  18. Ron

Ann Coulter, the born-again evangelical Christian, sure seems to hate a lot of people. I thought it was Christian to love people–or at least to be civil.

February 12, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  19. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Too bad the money spent by and for these Cretons wasn't used for something constructive!

February 12, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  20. Joshua Ludd

""Here's a lesson of history: Do not allow Democrats anywhere near foreign policy. Not even to keep them away from domestic policy. It's a mistake to ask those who don't even like democracy to defend it,""

I guess thats why every President for around 40 years supported Mubarek... only one of them being a Democrat. That must also be why Republicans in the white house supported Saddam Heussein as well.

February 12, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  21. steve

that ugly filthy slut.
    what man in his right mind would ever date this douche bag?
    actually, she is a TV

February 12, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  22. Vynn

I can understand that. Ann does look like a man in drag so it's no surprize she's after the same men gays are. I prefer my women Have curves.

Is Ann a communist? Freedom of the Press is a part of Democracy and the enemy of dictators and communist leaders. So anyone who'd like to see more journalists jailed doesn't deserve to be called an "American."

February 12, 2011 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  23. TomNPITT

Can this Bitch be more delerious. There should be a state where they keep all these crazies!
    Oh yea – it's called Texas!

February 12, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  24. Tony in Maine

Coulter would be annoying if she were of consequence.

Her parents must be so disappointed.

February 12, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  25. sam

Coulter needs a vibrator.
    But she probably couldn't figure out what its for.

February 12, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |