Coulter politics 101
February 12th, 2011

Coulter politics 101

Washington (CNN) - Conservative syndicated columnist Ann Coulter came to the Conservative Political Action Conference Saturday with her customary soapbox and her lecturer's cap.

"Here's a lesson of history: Do not allow Democrats anywhere near foreign policy. Not even to keep them away from domestic policy. It's a mistake to ask those who don't even like democracy to defend it," she said.

Coulter delivered a litany of conservative one-liners at CPAC during a speech that, at times, felt much like a classroom lecture, complete with a question and answer session.

CPAC is the largest annual gathering of conservative-minded activists, which this year is extra-important because it's the first cattle-call of potential 2012 Republican presidential candidates.

"The big news this week is liberals favor democracy in the Middle East," she began, "Liberals could not have been less interested in democracy when we were taking out the guy who gassed his neighbors…when we went to take out Saddam Hussein."

"But now liberals are shocked and appalled to discover there's a dictator in the Middle East."

And for Coulter, lessons on how to operate in Egypt should be taken from the examples of Iraq and Iran. "It's not as clear what the outcome is in Egypt," she said, "It was clear in Iraq and we had American servicemen there to ensure it went accurately…"

"Iraq and Iran are very similar because their people are sane, their leaders are insane, in the latter case you don't want to take out sane leaders and allow democracy in," she said. "In Iran there had been an election, the moderates won and Ahmadinejad stole the election, there hasn't been an election in Egypt."

"Why do we want to be stirring up trouble in that country? We can't do that in every country… you don't go around disturbing countries where you have a loyal ally."

Criticizing President Barack Obama for turning over "our entire health care system to the DMV," she slammed both foreign and domestic policy under "liberal" leadership.

And when asked why the U.S. should support Israel knowing that there are jailed dissidents and journalists, she joked, "What do you mean? I think there should be more jailed journalists."

But federal spending was a serious matter, and Coulter lectured, "We have this problem in our democracy that we keep voting people in who give grants…unless you vote for people who will cut spending, spending will not get cut."

Coulter offered up a prediction for 2012 when prompted, saying "If you don't run Chris Christie, Romney will be the nominee," an answer that was met with boos from the audience.

She offered up a stinging critique of Democrats when asked to speak about CPAC's controversial inclusion of the conservative, gay and lesbian group GOProud, saying "Liberals want to use gays as a cat's paw to attack the family because liberals want families destroyed… because then you have loyalty directly to the state."

Initially balking at the request to name her least favorite Democrat by responding that it was "like naming my least favorite disease," Coulter revealed "I can't hate Jim Webb, he served our country… he's such an honorable man… Bobby Rush, former black panther. John Lewis, a terrible, terrible liberal now, but a hero for freedom rights, he's one that's hard to hate because of his proud history."

And on inclusion, Coulter had this to say, "I am as born-again evangelical Christian as they come… the gay argument is why do conservatives act like our sins are worse then their sins…and no, of course not… I would like gays to be part of conservatism just the way women are without there being a special designation for it, that's what I'd prefer."

"The left is trying to co-opt gays and I don't think we should let them, they should be on our side."

This may be due in no small part to Coulter's affinity for gays with whom she shares "a lot in common." "We like the same music, we like the same cocktails, and we like a lot of the same men."

Filed under: Ann Coulter • CPAC 2011
  1. TheTeacherThePreacher

We didn't go in to Iraq to "take out Saddam Hussein". We went in to seize and destroy his massive cache of WMD that wasn't. if she's going to rewrite history, she should at least know it, or stop lying about it.

February 12, 2011 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. huxley

Its a giant step forward when the Republicans finally begin to self-examine their own mistakes. They alienated the African Americans with all of the Jim Crow laws – and now 95% of African Americans vote Democrat. They alienated the traditionally conservative Hispanics with all their anti-immigration racist policies – and now 95% of Hispanics vote Democrat. Soon, it will only be 5th generation white residents of Alabama who vote Republican.

February 12, 2011 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. Michael

"liberals hate Democracy" "liberals want to destroy families" How is this lady even allowed to talk anywhere? What an idiot.

February 12, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Bill

Ann Coulter is such an ignorant moron, it's sad anyone even reports on her anymore. She needs medical attention...seriously.

February 12, 2011 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  5. JR, San Diego

YA know, it's getting hard to tell which right wing airhead is spewing these days, Palin, Bachmann or this waste of skin.

February 12, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  6. Jeremy

Omg! I love how she tries to pretend like she believes in gay rights...please! Does she think that we are really that stupid to believe that conservatives are inclusive to gays? I would rather be burned at the stake than believe that Ann Coulter and gays have anything in common. The reason we have the freedoms that we do is that we think for ourselves and stand up to others when our rights are trying to be deemed as less than. On many occasions, more than I can count, she has spoke against gay rights. If it was left up to her, gays would be in concentration camps wearing pink triangles stiched to their clothing. What she said is as false as when Sarah Palin claimed to have gay friends...Yeah Right!

February 12, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  7. DonJose

Well, if Ann Coulter wants to defend Mubarak, by all means, give her a gun and send her to Egypt.

February 12, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  8. geekgirl42

I really don't understand how someone as smart as Coulter seems could really be this obtuse and myopic. You're either a "good conservative" or you're an "evil liberal." How about some real debate about the facts instead of this over-simplification and black and white thinking.

February 12, 2011 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  9. Kris Jackson

Whew! What an amazing person she is. And she's just not the raving lunatic on the corner, she commands a following among the delusional right. Well, may she continue to stand as an avatar of just how repellent these people can be.

February 12, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Dale

I voted for Obama because I trust him to use diplomacy first, and war as a last resort. GWB– two wars started and zero finished, and millions of new enemies around the world. Cheney is buddies with the (ex) dictator of Egypt. 9-11 happened on the GOP's watch and then we let the perpetrator go because we were too busy invading the wrong country. The list goes on and on. The GOP has zero credibility on the subject of foreign policy.

February 12, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. Mr. Davidson

I would say she impresses me as an individual more than anything else and a distant second ,of political commentary.

February 12, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. coloradoDem

I think i threw up! No i did Ann makes me sick!!!!!

February 12, 2011 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  13. Steve, New York City

Why should anyone listen to Anne Coulter? She has the mind of a "flea" – and she looks down on anyone who doesn't totally agree with her. Just another right-wing idiot. What is wrong with the extreme right (AND THE EQUALLY-SCARY EXTREME LEFT)? Neither seems able to compromise about anything (perhaps says something about the declivity in I.Q. score, as one moves towards either pole).

February 12, 2011 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. payback

....Who let the scarecrow loose I thought she was in Iowa . In a cornfield, on a farm driving crows away?

February 12, 2011 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  15. Bill

Ann Coulter never has a courteous discussion but you expect your posters to follow the rules of conduct while you quote her many insulting remarks against anyone who doesn't agree with her. Individuals like Ann Coulter are dangerous to our democratic way of life because they suppress any ideas and points of view other than their own. How about explaining that to your readers.

February 12, 2011 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  16. me me me

what would a kkk loving one track mind idiot like you know anything about anything but your hatred of dems...get a life

February 12, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  17. Jake

Hey Ann. Democrats aren't against democracy. They are against capitalism and the RUIN it has brought our country. I sure wish evangelicals would WAKE UP and remember that Jesus taught, "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

February 12, 2011 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  18. trex

Auntie Annie wants gays in the gop? This only means 1 thing, ... a slew of gop congress types will be outed as gay within the next 18 months.

February 12, 2011 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  19. trex

PS: Ron Paul wins CPAC vote. Thank you thank you thank you thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very much.

February 12, 2011 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. Peter

Look at these quotes. "I think there should be more jailed journalists". "We had US troops in Iraq to ensure that they (the citizens of Iraq) did the right thing". Wow. This babe is really twisted. But she knows how to sell books and get into the press by saying the most extreme things. A circus act.

February 12, 2011 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  21. Nursehope

She is everything that embodies the "dumb blonde" ideal. She has got to be so incredibly insecure in both her sexuality and her sense of self because she lashes out at intelligent powerful women and people who are capable of thinking for themselves.

February 12, 2011 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  22. rusty155

Ann Coulter you are just as Dumb as Saran Palin. You don't send the Military too every Foreign Country every time there a unrest, sometime you have too let the people handle It. I think Obama did a good job in the way he handle It, at lease you don't hear them say deaf too America. The trouble with you die hard Conservatives you think going to war Is all ways the best idea. Than send your son Into the fighting. I was In the U.S.M.C. for 3 years my older brother was in the army for 4 Years In Vietnam. Because of people like You and Saran Palin I'm no longer a REPUBLICAN now I'm a Independent voter, right now the REPUBLICAN Party Is have to work a lot harder to get my vote In 2012.

February 12, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  23. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

I use to give Ann Coulter the benefit of the doubt, but now I must say that she is nothing more than a professional political attack dawg....nothing more and nothing less.

February 12, 2011 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. dave

I don't see shooting Ann Coulter to death as murder...it would just be aborting her in her 203rd trimester. I'm against killing Ann Coulter, but I don't want to hold other people to my high standards

February 12, 2011 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. fairtrade

Coulter is a sick twisted individual who lives in a country where liberals serve and die for their country just like conservatives and yet she hates them. She is a current day Tokyo Rose hell bent on dividing our country and riding it of non-conservatives.

February 12, 2011 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |