Trump keeps up the digs
February 14th, 2011

Trump keeps up the digs

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump continued to stoke the fire Monday, responding to Rep. Ron Paul's criticism of the billionaire as someone who has never run for office.

During a speech at the Conservative Political Action Conference Thursday, Trump said the Texas Republican was an "unelectable" candidate for president. In an interview on CNN's "American Morning" Monday, Paul countered that he has won 11 elections.

"I don't know how many elections he's (Trump) won so far himself," Paul said.

Monday on CNN Trump countered that he's never won an election because he has never run.

"But I've employed thousands and thousands of people," Trump said. "I've made billions of dollars, which if I ever decided to run, which is a possibility frankly, I would make lots of money for the American people."

The reality television star, who is considering a run for president, said he thinks Paul is a "great guy" but has "zero chance of being elected."

Paul ran unsuccessfully for president in 1988 and 2008 and won the CPAC straw poll Saturday with 30 percent of the vote.

If Trump were to win the election in 2012, he said his first action would be imposing a 25 percent tax on Chinese products to make sure the Chinese government is "treating us fairly."

"I've never been elected because I've never run in an election and maybe I wouldn't do well and maybe I would," Trump said. "But I can tell you one thing, if I ever did get elected this country would be respected again."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Ron Paul
  1. willie floyd

"Make a lot of money for Americans"-yeah right-for his fellow billionaires! Our Pres. is turning things around, after the pile of garbage he stepped into, I give him good marks.

February 14, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Peter E

Republicans would never elect Trump. He is an ACTUAL capitalist, i.e. he would immediately stop all the farm, oil, and other corporate subsidies the republicans kept handing out to their buddies. And Trump doesn't care about intruding on people's private lives. He won't use gay marriage as an excuse to raise cash in the name of Jesus.
    In short, he is everything republicans hate: an ACTUAL conservative!

February 14, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. Indy

That is quite hilarious because everyone in the world knows Trump is a Chump. He thinks he knows business but he has no clue how Government business is done and he would be the laughing stock of world leaders. If he is so damm good at creating jobs why not just start right now because you sure as heck don't have to be POTUS to create jobs, that would be socialist thinking if he thinks you have to create employment through Government.Making money and employing people does not make you Presidential, it makes you a business person and there are millions that are much better at it then Trump. Trump has no clue about relationships with China and recently proposed a 25% import tax on goods made in China that would be a direct price increase to the average consumer but he is too stupid to know that China is a reality and the global economy is for real and is not going away because Trump would like it to go away. Trump is a Chump !

February 14, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. Pretzel Logic

You know what Trump and Paul have in common? Neither of them will ever be elected President, ever. Period. Moving on...

February 14, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. fayse

to RowJimmy, yes Trump has filed for bankruptcy more than once. I believe the first time was when he was divorcing his firtst wife in order to defraud her. Does anyone remember Marla Maples? That was the second wife that created a scandal when she outed their affair while the family was on a skiing trip. The third wife is there for the money but it is doubtful that she will be there for the long haul. The Donald didn't get to where he is by himself, he had the advantage of a wealthy father.I seriously doubt that he will run because he could never face up to the scrutiney of his personal, personal or financial situations. But, hey, let him run maybe it would be a Palin/Trump or Trump/ Palin ticket. OMG, heaven only knows that we could not tempt the undereducated with such a disasterous choice. The Republican Party would be content to keep America undereducated ergo, An undereducated America would be easier to fool and control.

February 14, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"Trump has never filed for bankruptcy. He's always been too big to go bankrupt and he always comes out on top. I'm rooting for him because I'd love to see him debate Obama the clueless."

This is what you call a good example of what I'm talking about. Trump's companies have filed for bankruptcy several times, first in 1991 (and he was close to having to file for himself at the same time). Purposefully broadcasting misinformation is the name of the game...and I wouldn't be suprised to find Trump taking a few pointers from the Koch brothers and their astroturf empire.

February 14, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. jerry

At some point the media will have to call Trump what he is...besides a very rich person. A blow hard. Countries everywhere would be lining up to show respect for America if he were president? Hey dude, get a haircut and then go away.

February 14, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  8. Bob

So, Trump is going to punish the Chinese by taxing their products 25%. And of course, the Chinese won't pass that additional cost on to us. And, the Chinese won't impose retaliatory tariffs of their own. And, the Chinese won't stop buying our treasuries, which is the only reason we can keep taxes low, never mind that we should stop selling them anyway and raise taxes back to a 40% top rate. His 3 bankruptcies/ defaults make more sense now.

February 14, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. Clwyd

Donald and Ron are both nut cases trying to make a name for themselves at the expense of the common Americans.

February 14, 2011 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. Adalbert

This ignorant egomaniac is a loser. Even the right wingers are not that stupid to consider him for president.

February 14, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. B

Why does’t someone tell this Hack to climb back under his rock, talk about a right- wing Nutcase.
    What ever happened to normal common sense and intelligent people that might want to become thoughtful leaders without
    out of control Egos?