Huckabee: Abortion issue trumps all
February 15th, 2011

Huckabee: Abortion issue trumps all

(CNN) – Several likely GOP presidential candidates have spent the bulk of their time stressing fiscal and economic issues, but Mike Huckabee said Monday that for him the issue of abortion still trumps all other pressing concerns facing the country.

"For me this is an issue that - as I've said before - it transcends all of the political issues," Huckabee said at a fundraiser in Tennessee for the Center for Bioethical Reform, an anti-abortion group.

"I've often said I would gladly lose an election before I would ever yield on the issue of the sanctity of human life," Huckabee added.

The former presidential candidate and former governor of Arkansas has not said if he will run for president again, though he is a leading candidate, according to several recent national polls of the hypothetical battle for the Republican presidential nomination.

His comments differ significantly from potential White House rivals who have spoken little of social issues so far this cycle as Americans continue to overwhelmingly point to the economy as the No. 1 issue on their minds.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. GI Joe

That is settled law, IDIOT. Your one-issue campaign will get you very few votes. Go ahead and waste the money your followers send you. YOU CAN'T WIN ON ONE ISSUE IN THIS COUNTRY.

February 15, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. chelle

I will give Huckabee this – he sticks to his ideals. He'll never be President but he does stick to his words. Too bad one of the qualities essential to leadership IS the ability to compromise.

February 15, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Henry Miller, Libertarian

So this doofus thinks imposing his theology on the people of this country, a very large percentage of whom disagree with him, is more important than saving the economy.

This, as far as I'm concerned, utterly disqualifies Huckabee from consideration as President. Not only does it make him a single-issue fanatic, it makes him a fanatic about something that pales to insignificance compared to the overwhelmingly more urgent issue of the American economy. Further, it reflects a profound contempt for the individual liberties of those whose philosophies differ from his own, and that makes him a would-be theological tyrant and utterly unfit to be President. He quite apparently puts his religion before the interests of this country and those of its citizens.

February 15, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. Chris G

Typical nutballs. With all that's going on in the world, they focus in invading the privacy of women to take away their freedom to chose based on imposing some made up religious nonsense.

February 15, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Randy, San Francisco

By bringing abortion to the forefront as an issue that transcends all political issues, Huckabee has no intention of attracting moderates and independent voters. Guess he rather lose a presidential election.

February 15, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. TruthAndBeauty

Nothing like religious basis for running a country.
    Oh, I don't mean Iran, I mean USA.

February 15, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  7. brad

Why is this an issue? Federal funding is NOT being used. Let it be an individual's choice. Focus on what will help all the people. Not this minority group. Last I heard the majority agrees it is an individual's choice. I know its hard for some to understand that, but it is America. I like to think we have some rights.

February 15, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. fred

Huckabee – The one candidate who will speak candidly about his views on EVERY issue.

February 15, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  9. Dan from Tx

This is where the fiscal conservatives and social conservatives must part ways.
    Heartless as it may sound, it is not fiscally conservative to force people to have unwanted children. These people do not want children and we will only watch our national entitlements grow as we must take care of more abandoned / neglected / abused children.
    I am personally against using abortion as a stop-gap birth control option. However, it is such a complex issue and there are already so many unwanted / orphaned children already living with the state that currently need to be placed. As a society we should take care of those children already born before moving on to the next step in this complicated controversy.

February 15, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  10. Vet

Let me get this right, I don't have a job however, the only thing I sould worry about is what goes on in the doctors office between a woman and her doctor. These retards are absolutely unbelievable and when I give it further thought, there are those fox news crowd who absolutly believe this garbage. Wake up America!!

February 15, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  11. Elizabeth

Am sick to death of this continued parade of "holier than thou" old white men trying to tell women what to do with their bodies. Since they are not willing to adopt all these orphans and unwanted children born out of wedlock,don't want to suport them with tax dollars, don't approve of planned parenthood, have never been pregnant themselves, nor been a victim of rape of incest, they should just shut up.. And Huckabee, why does he still have a show on Fox News if he is going to run for the presidency?

February 15, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |