Trump reveals stance on social issues
February 15th, 2011

Trump reveals stance on social issues

Washington (CNN) - Continuing his flirtations with a White House bid, real estate mogul Donald Trump defended his conservative credentials across the board in an interview with Fox News Monday night.

"I'm a very conservative person. I'm very big into the military. I'm a great guy for defense," Trump told Fox New's Greta Van Susteren. "I am probably as conservative as anybody on your show, and that's going a pretty strong step. I'm a Republican. I'm a very conservative Republican. I believe strongly in just about all conservative principles.

Trump went on to say he fits the bill on social issues as well – a topic the reality television star has traditionally spoken little about.

"I'm pro-life, which, you know, I think is a big social issue and... I am not in favor of gay marriage. I live in New York. New York is a place with lots of gays, and I think it's great, but I'm not in favor of gay marriage," he said.

The comments came hours after Trump appeared on CNN, during which he fended off an attack from fellow potential presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul over the businessman's lack of political experience.

"I've employed thousands and thousands of people," he said. "I've made billions of dollars, which if I ever decided to run, which is a possibility frankly, I would make lots of money for the American people."

If Trump were to win the election in 2012, he said his first action would be imposing a 25 percent tax on Chinese products to make sure the Chinese government is "treating us fairly."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. chris

I wouldn't want this guy any where near the White House or in Congress. Seriously folks, DT is only looking at the next “something” to satisfy his enormous ego. I mean think about it he says he is all for Conservative values, but it seems they are the ones that suit his needs. I mean for one look at how many times the guy been married? He talks about his business prowess, but let’s us not forget this dude has filed bankruptcy how many times and he wants to manage the Nation? LOL!! We only have to look at another political leader Arnold S who was elected not because of the knowledge of the job, but what he thought should be done in LA to realize we should really stay away from these types of candidates. DT can continue to play his ego out on his TV show. I mean just imagine DT sitting at a peace accords with World Leaders and scream "You are fired" because he didn't agree to something!! LOL...LOL

February 15, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. John in Brooklyn

Yeah. Trump has not only made billions, but his business practices (including bankrupcy) has left penniless people in his wake. Additionally, he may have hired thousands, but he is not only out of step with New Yorkers, he is also out of step with Americans since he doesn't support New York's protections for gay people (including legal domestic partnerships recognized by the city)...including those in his own workforce.

February 15, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. Doyle Wiley, MI

Trump is known for making money for himself, and screwing those around him. No thanks.

February 15, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  4. DJ in TX

He may be a great businessman, but he'd make a lousy President. Please people, do us all a favor and not make this your nominee.

February 15, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. Cosmo

"if I ever decided to run ... I would make lots of money for the American people."

You mean you would make lots of money from the American people and then seek protection from the bankrptcy courts and leave the American people holding the bag, which is the Republican creed. Having this money sucking windbag as another of the circus sidehow of GOP potential presidential candidates is priceless entertainment.

February 15, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  6. Roscoe

The only good thing about a Trump presidency that I can think of is him telling VP Sarah Palin that she's fired. Perhaps, he could do it at his own impeachment trial......

February 15, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I don't like Trump for president. Maybe he could be our new trade representative. I honestly wonder if he would really impose that tax if he were actually elected.

February 15, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. durundal

You cannot run government like it is a business. The two are mutually exclusive, especially when looking through the lens of public goods provision. Government has traditionally been there to provide the goods and services that the economy might normally not provide, or at least in the necessary proportions. All i see is another washed up real estate tycoon trying to stay relevant – its like all the crazies are coming out of the woodwork to play at politics. Warren Buffet – now there was a great businessman

February 15, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. LA

"I'm very big into the military. I'm a great guy for defense." What an ignoramus? Where are your stripes, Trump? Stashed in your golden dresser drawer? Get off the stage and stop making America a laughingstock!

February 15, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. The Right Left

I am willing to bet a $100,000 in one of his casinos, 10:1 that his chances of becoming the President are less than zero. He talks because he is bored and has a mouth on him,

February 15, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. Katie

"Trump says he's pro-life, anti-gay marriage "...this week.

No principles or convictions except to the almighty dollar. He's a fraud and a joke as a presidential candidate – in other words, a perfect republican candidate, just like ms. palin. The level of desperation by the republicans is hilarious.

February 15, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. K.D. Carter

How many times has Trump been married again? So we care what he thinks about others' right to do so? Next.

P.S. I'd still take him over Sarah Palin.

February 15, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. America fell asleep

He would tax the chinese GOV 25% on imported goods? ROLFMAO... How many of those companies are owned by American or Multi-National corporations? He wouldn't be scoring points with the business community. I think what every person who runs and wins the WH, is that it's a lot harder to get things done than from the Oval office than when you are out on the stump telling the American People you could do it better. I have to give Trump a few points on at least talking about tariffs and what outsourcing has done to this country.

February 15, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  14. XWngLady

Mr. Trump, "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 1) A proud look, 2) a lying tongue, and 3) hands that shed innocent blood, 4) An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, 5) feet that be swift in running to mischief 6) A false witness that speaketh lies, and 7) he that soweth discord among brethren...."....Hmmmm, #1, a proud look. How do you fare against that? Hmmm...A lying tongue. Told any lies lately Donald? And we could go on....I wish you and Republicans would stop trying to cherry pick which things are important socially and spiritually and take a look at yourselves and how you measure up to what GOD himself says that He is concerned with....then we can talk about the other issues.

February 15, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  15. AC

Trump, who cares?

February 15, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. bo-D

Stop it trump please this is not the apprentice

February 15, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |