Trump reveals stance on social issues
February 15th, 2011

Trump reveals stance on social issues

Washington (CNN) - Continuing his flirtations with a White House bid, real estate mogul Donald Trump defended his conservative credentials across the board in an interview with Fox News Monday night.

"I'm a very conservative person. I'm very big into the military. I'm a great guy for defense," Trump told Fox New's Greta Van Susteren. "I am probably as conservative as anybody on your show, and that's going a pretty strong step. I'm a Republican. I'm a very conservative Republican. I believe strongly in just about all conservative principles.

Trump went on to say he fits the bill on social issues as well – a topic the reality television star has traditionally spoken little about.

"I'm pro-life, which, you know, I think is a big social issue and... I am not in favor of gay marriage. I live in New York. New York is a place with lots of gays, and I think it's great, but I'm not in favor of gay marriage," he said.

The comments came hours after Trump appeared on CNN, during which he fended off an attack from fellow potential presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul over the businessman's lack of political experience.

"I've employed thousands and thousands of people," he said. "I've made billions of dollars, which if I ever decided to run, which is a possibility frankly, I would make lots of money for the American people."

If Trump were to win the election in 2012, he said his first action would be imposing a 25 percent tax on Chinese products to make sure the Chinese government is "treating us fairly."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. ReFascistican

Sounds like another warmongerer. You don't have to keep reminding us that you're a billionaire Donald. That doesn't mean diddly. I'm more concerned about how some of your businesses went bankrupt. I want to hear more about Ivana and the reason you two seperated. Oh do explain o' wise one.

February 15, 2011 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  2. Ernie

Ron Paul must think who ever is going to run for President has to have politicial experience, I wonder if he means being a career politician. Most career politicians couldn't run a "Hot Dog" stand but know how to spend the tax payer's money. I have to disagree with Mr. Paul. I have seen Mr. Trump on Fox News, CNN and other news stations and he has said that he deals with the Chinese everyday. Mr. Trump says the Chinese can't believe what their getting away with. Mr.Trump said that window frames can be made in all the "Southern States" and not in China.

Mr. Trump said it were President he would impose a 25 percent tax on Chinese products to make sure the Chinese government is "treating us fairly." I wonder if Obama has thought about this. Mr. Trump has shown that he's not afraid of
    anyone, and he sure isn't afraid of China.

February 15, 2011 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  3. Tony in Maine

Uhhhh – Donald,

You have one qualification for the Republican nomination – you can read talking points.

February 15, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  4. revolting peasant

I would vote for Trump. I might be naive, but i think it would be hard for the party to push him around. What scares me most about the Republican Party is that they squelch the notion of local representation. If you are member of the party, they demand that you be loyal to the party leaders. As such our party is embraced in a stupid ideological war while real problems are waiting to be solved.

February 15, 2011 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  5. rusty155

Can't someone shut-up this man no going too vote for him.

February 15, 2011 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  6. sherry

Get over yourself Trump....Your a legend in your own mind and care about nothing but making your wallet fatter.......the heck with the little poor people.

February 15, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  7. Bob from Pittsburgh

A 25% levy on Chinese products sounds good, however is not reality, the Chinese would retaliate by calling the debt, and the USA would go down the toilet with a bigger recession than the 1930's recession..

The Donald is not making sense..

February 15, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  8. Josaphat Daniels.

"Old mcdonald had a trump" please give it up I for one am not buying this nonesense about you running for president, you
    are just doing this to grab attention and I can't believe this guy will sink to the level of christine o'donnell and sarah palin. It's
    so typical about rich people, they think with all their money and their fame that they snap their finger and everything will be
    theirs, seriously speaking this is a cliche. Even if majority of americans are dissatisfied with The President as their leader,
    they sure have hell would have lost their minds if they put donald duck trump in the white house.

February 15, 2011 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  9. juliei4

Ok – what else? There are more social issues than abortion and gay marriage. How does he feel about poverty in this country? How does he feel about education? How does he feel about healthcare for all? He really didn't say too much, at least not in what is written here.

February 15, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  10. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Let's see, twice divorced, bankrupt a couple of times, bad hair to the extreme, and his is the only opinion that counts. Yep, that makes him at least as viable as the other Republican candidates. Now, if only he could overcome the stigma of being from Noo Yawk.

February 15, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  11. Marie MD

So all it takes to be a conservative is to like war? Did we learn absolutely nothing from the shrub's administration? Look how the Egyptians took care of THEIR business without the US invading them!!!
    As a very rich man he is part of the problem for the middle class!!!!!

February 15, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  12. Josaphat Daniels.

I thought this guy was worth looking up to but the fact that even with all his riches he would sink to the level of a diva like
    palin and just wants to show off when real americans are suffering just proves that this guy is nothing but a big turd.
    Apparently what he has isn't enough – the apprentice, celebrity apprentice, miss USA, miss teen USA, miss universe and
    now he wants to have the country. This guy is acting like a spolt brat or a premature teenager act your age you fool at 60.

February 15, 2011 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  13. Lost My Vote

Well, he's already lost my vote based on his stance on social issues.

February 15, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  14. The Real Tom Paine

He has also lost billions of dollars, had 2 messy divorces, and the only thing that has revived him in the public eye is a reality show. We don't need our own version of Berlusconi, thank you. Think about it, America: he's spent a lifetime crafting and marketing an image to you, so you need to ask yourself what has he actually created or produced, beside monuments to his ego? His family got their start as slum lords: is this what you value? Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln were long dead when their monuments were built, Trump has already built his before his death( a little like Ramses). Besides, does he really think that a party that has staked its identity of free trade is going to support a 25% tarriff? This is nothing but posturing on the part of a bored billionaire who thinks he's one of us.

February 15, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  15. Josaphat Daniels.

He is no different from hosni mubarak, both men are greedy with billions and think they have the right to be president.

February 15, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  16. John

Wow..what a way to kiss the 1% chance of being elected away. Oh well.....too bad you can't get with the times. Oh and YOU'RE FIRED!

February 15, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  17. Joan

This has got to be a publicity stunt to get attention for his next Apprentice show. He can't seriously think he has what it takes to be a credible candidate. I know he has a huge ego but he can't be that dilusional. He has infidelity scandals, past bankruptcy issues and his diplomacy skills are really lacking. However, if he runs it will make for some fun and interesting debates in the early primaries until he gets trounced out.

February 15, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  18. Cfrench

Maybe now FAUX will offer him a job.

February 15, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  19. No One Famous

Go away you arogant egotistical windbag! We don't want you and really don't need your ego in the White House.

February 15, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  20. JT

Yes, because no one can speak to the "sanctity" of marriage like The Donald.

February 15, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  21. Anonymous

Has he ever received money/subsidy from govt to fund any of his project?

February 15, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  22. Sniffit

Gotta hand it to him, he's a pro when it comes to "seller's talk." Freekin used car salesman of American politics. Someone, please, for the love of all that is holy, ask him what he'd do if China's response to his hamfisted tariff imposition was to call in all our debt.

February 15, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  23. Mom Concerned for the Future

I would NEVER vote for Trump and I do not think I am alone. He may as well give it up now.

February 15, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  24. AudreyinGa

He is only in favor of heterosexual marriages several times over.

February 15, 2011 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  25. Sgt Joe

No thanks, Donald. Stick with business.

February 15, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |