Bachmann targets Michelle Obama
February 16th, 2011

Bachmann targets Michelle Obama

Washington (CNN) - Rep. Michele Bachmann, a potential Republican presidential candidate, is taking issue with Michelle Obama over the first lady's recent promotion of breast-feeding.

Speaking to conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham Tuesday, the Minnesota Republican said Obama's efforts to promote breast-feeding and the IRS's announcement that nursing supplies that aide in the practice can be deducted from tax returns amounts to a "new definition [of] the nanny state."

"This is very consistent with where the hard left is coming from," Bachmann told Ingraham. "For them, government is the answer to every problem."

"I've given birth to five babies and I breast fed every single one of these babies," she added. "To think that government has to go out and buy my breast pump for my babies? You wanna talk about the nanny state, I think you just got a new definition."

The comments come on the heels of Obama's recent contention that breast-feeding can play a key role in reducing childhood obesity.

"We also want to focus on the important touch points in a child's life. And what we're learning now is that early intervention is key. Breastfeeding. Kids who are breastfed longer have a lower tendency to be obese," Obama told a group of reporters last week, according to Politics Daily.

"Breastfeeding is a very personal choice for every woman," Kristina Schake, a spokeswoman for Obama, later said. "We are trying to make it easier for those who choose to do it."

It's not the first time Obama has faced ire from the right when it comes to childhood nutrition. Sarah Palin told Ingraham last fall that "the first lady cannot trust parents to make decisions for their own children, for their own families in what we should eat."

Filed under: Michele Bachmann • Michelle Obama
  1. a little sad

These women sink to a new low whne they attack someone for promoting breastfeeding.

February 16, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  2. Tony

Lord save us from these evil people who have nothing good to say about whomever doesn't belong to their camp of madness. Another reasonable woman out there would commend the initiative to promote breastfeeding amongst her fellow women, rather than indulge in banal fear-mongering about the impending doom coming upon us all courtesy of the "nanny-state". Gosh, what a shame..

February 16, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  3. Chris

Yeah a small tax break for moms is really indicative of the coming socialist New World Order. Give me a break, you whackjob. When a Republican says "breastfeed your baby" it's good advice, but when a democrat says it, it's "nanny state" socialism? This is why the far Right does not hold any credibility with me.

February 16, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Brandon

There are so many benefits to breastfeeding and just as many disadvantages of formula feeding an infant. With just a little patient education in the matter, this never-ending argument could end and everyone could be better off. Education is key to a healthier America!

February 16, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  5. Bob from PA

Another loud mouth with very little actually said. Between Bachmann and Palin I am not sure who is dumber. Kind of reminds me of a movie but unfortunately there are people who take what these two say as important and as the truth. Hope one of them becomes the Republican choice for 2012. Keep covering them because the more they talk the more common sensed people see what they are really about, themselves!

February 16, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  6. RawG

Where do they draw the line? Public schools, roads, fight against drugs all need Government funds, but I guess breast feeding is such a terrible thing to promote.

February 16, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. Positive

So when a Democrat suggests a tax break for families, it's the government paying for something for people, but when the Republicans stop everything to give millionaires and billionaires tax breaks, its letting people keep their own money and is not considered something we have to pay for.

OK, now I've got it.

February 16, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  8. Anonymous

Idiot. Now we have a republican who is upset about a demoncrat cutting taxes?

February 16, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. Doyle Wiley, MI

Palin, I mean Bachmann, try talking to a Doctor.

February 16, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  10. 71556

I never thought I'd be able to say it, but this ditz is worse that Palin. Ignorant, foolish, and loud. Why does CNN and other media pay her the slightest attention?

February 16, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  11. Joshua Ludd

New Definition of Nanny State? This woman is an idiot. So, now making something tax deductible is wrong?
    So, lets recap... Republicans don't like the idea of kids eating healthy food, though no one is being forced into anything... and they don't like the idea of making breast feeding supplies tax deductible. Either that.... or they are just trying to disagree with any and everything Democrats, Obama in particular have to say, even when its not actual legislation and is a good idea proposed by the first freaking lady.

February 16, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  12. Mainehunter

In terms of equal rights...can a guy get a tax deduction if he sells his sperm, in large quantities, to a sperm bank? Production costs, etc should be a tax deduction. Since OBAMA is giving it away I thought I'd ask. I mean, really.

February 16, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  13. ellid

Bachmann is an idiot and a liar. Ditto Palin. Why does the press take them seriously?

February 16, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  14. Gina

I never in my life thought I'd agree w/anything this crazed nutcake says, but on this, I do. No way would I support getting a tax break for someone's breast pump. In fact, I say the more kids you have the more taxes you should pay, not reverse like we have now! I have two children and understand they require resources like schools and roads to get them there, etc. After one child, we should pay, not get a break. Those who don't have more than one should get the break. That'll get the righties in an uproar.

February 16, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  15. Bsol9791

The nanny state. I get it! Very funny, Ms. Bachmann. I never knew she was a comedian!

Seriously, though. How much do these items actually cost? I can't imagine this is anything more than the most minor of items the government is willing to cut taxpayers a break on. It should easily pay for itself in long-term health benefits to our citizens, if the studies regarding breast-feeding are any indication. And I think Mrs. Obama was right to encourage breast-feeding publicly. I'm sure there are a lot of people who aren't aware of the impact this can have on their children.

There are some instances where playing the political game really just makes you look petty and vindictive. Breast-feeding a sign of the "nanny" state? Funny, but it's not going to help you get re-elected.

February 16, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  16. PD.

This woman is insane! I can't believe this is an issue with rational people. This woman is so paranoid, so illogical, I can't believe people actually voted for her.

February 16, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

More unprecedented critcism, and targeting of our FLOTUS, primarily amongst people who share one communal brain cell.
    Bachmann is using it now.

Thanks, once again, CNN, for aiding and abetting these diletantes, and sanctioning their stupidity by providing it with more publicity than money could buy.

February 16, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  18. mkmChicago

Do women like Bachmann and Palin ever engage their brains before employing their mouths ? Nanny state ? wtf does mothers being encouraged to naturally nurse their children have to do with nanny's ? more pure silliness from the Repugnacants

February 16, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. davide ito

Wow. There is actually someone dumber than Palin.

February 16, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  20. karessus

This lady is psyco and I wonder about the state of mind of the people who keep putting her back in office. She is a racist narrow minded want to be who is just plain crazy. Every nut needs their moment and hers has long passed. Please keep the camera out of her face, people with common sense has had enough.

February 16, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. Cosmo

A GOP candidate being against breast feeding? Sometimes it is hard to tell if I am listening to real candidates or watching a SNL skit or something on the Onion News Network. Ms. Bachman, please restrict yourself to the duties you are being paid for by the people of America and that is being a member of Congress, hopefully figuring out how to create jobs like you promised.

February 16, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Lynn

Michele Bachmann (like Sarah Palin) is an ignorant racist who would find fault with ANYTHING that the current President and/or first lady says or does. What a TOTAL waste of space!!

February 16, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. mfhpr

unbelievable. what will bachmann stop at when it comes to the ridiculous?

February 16, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  24. brs

based on the obesity numbers in this country, clearly someone needs to tell parents how to raise healthy kids

February 16, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. Paul H.

Michele Bachmann's comment is another example of right wing hypocrisy and schizophrenia. After Bachmann's right wing uses the GOVERNMENT to FORCE a woman to have a baby with intrusive "pro-life" legislation, they then have the gall to say that Obama's support of breast feeding creates a "nanny state". Obviously, Bachmann and her crowd's mouths fly open to criticize EVERYTHING the Obamas say or do without even thinking about it first. Sadly, millions are soaking up this kind of contradictory Republican slop propaganda. To such hateful "sheeple", as long as it's attacking the Obama's, it must be true.

February 16, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |