Dem to Pentagon: 'Stop sponsoring NASCAR'
February 16th, 2011

Dem to Pentagon: 'Stop sponsoring NASCAR'

Washington (CNN)-A member of Congress wants to end the military's sponsorship of NASCAR race teams, saying it's a waste of taxpayers' money.

Rep. Betty McCollum, D-Minnesota, is offering an amendment to the 2011 House budget bill to ban the sponsorships, which her office said has cost the military $100 million over the past 10 years, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Betty McCollum • National Guard • Pentagon
  1. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If our country were truly broke, republicans would vote for this bill. Instead, I'll bet they will be outraged that anyone would dare try to cut military spending.

February 16, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  2. Indie Woman in Denver

I don't have a problem with NASCAR, but why on earth is the US millitary supporting it? That'd be like supporting the NFL, AFL, NBA, etc. I don't care how much money we're giving them, it's too much.

February 16, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  3. Brian

A dem that wants to cut spending? She will be hunted down by the lefties. Sorry lady, you're fired!

February 16, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. Ben Sandmann

While I am in favor of reducing pointless government costs, I think the move to sponsor the Army via Nascar is genius. Having come from rural, conservative America, I can promise you that the majority of army recruits come from a Nascar fan base. I wouldn't care either way if it was pulled from the bill; I don't even enjoy Nascar, but two thumbs up for clever, efficient, and very targeted advertising.

February 16, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

Its a cheap way for recruiters to get a huge audience of people who would be inclined to join. Now what proportion is that of the TOTAL recruiting budget.

Thing is, you close bases, the military in the local economy is gone. Some kid fresh out of high school has no idea what to do in life. Seeing somebody in uniform, or a local base with people driving around in good cars with a nice lifestyle you don't get at Wal Mart is a good recruiting tool. But the bases are gone. You do what you have to do.

February 16, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. Ed

I have been saying this for years. EVERYONE IN THIS COUNTRY KNOWS THAT OUR ARMED FORCES EXIST! This is a complete waste of money. We have recruiters go to schools, we have TV ads, we have NASCAR sponsorship, we have radio ads, and we even have army video games with adds and information about joining up. Not to mention the publicity it gets from history lessons, media coverage, and word of mouth. I understand we need to defend our country but we waste a lot of money on something that is virtually universally known.

February 16, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Rick McDaniel

You think? Takes sooooo much intelligence to figure that out, not doesn't it?

February 16, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. doug

They need to recruit the best people in America who are willing to fight for their country, NASCAR is the best advertising vehicle to do that, and country radio as well. Living in the northeast, I'm always amazing at how great the people are in the south, so full of love, compassion, decency, and integrity. It is nice to drive down there, you don't have to worry about all the people around you having a total disregard for human life as is the case in driving on any blue area road or highway.

February 16, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  9. obama victim

just another form of advertising as part of the recruiting process. I guess we could eliminate all recruiting and advertising and go back to the draft?? Just another democrat moron.

February 16, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. rs

Nevermind the sponsorships (yes, those should end), but what about the Air Force flyovers? Those can't be cheap either!

February 16, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. jules sand-perkins

How many hundreds of millions of dollars has welfare cost tax payers over the past ten years?
    To each his own.
    I support military spending. I wish our country were even stronger than it is–or was.
    Isn't there an Army-Navy football game?
    How about cutting the salaries and educational benefits for our volunteer armed forces so we could give larger welfare payments for child support?
    Do our churches get enough untaxed income?

February 16, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. GonzoinHouston

This is a trivial amount relative to what needs to be cut, and as advertising goes, it's pretty effective. Cutting the ad budget? Penny wise and pound foolish.

February 16, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  13. GI Joe

Good idea. Also stop the subsidies to Michelle Bachmann's family members.

I don't want my taxes going to either one of those two things.

February 16, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. T'sah from Virginia

We sponsor NASCAR???? Why?

February 16, 2011 11:30 am at 11:30 am |