Mrs. Daniels: family undecided on White House run
February 18th, 2011

Mrs. Daniels: family undecided on White House run

Washington (CNN) - Before he tries to convince voters to put him in the White House, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels has a more important audience to sell: his family.

"I think we're all sort of undecided about it," First Lady Cheri Daniels told CNN affiliate WSBT before an appearance in Elkhart, Indiana.

It's not how her husband would do that worries Mrs. Daniels; her concerns are more personal than professional.

"It's very flattering, of course, to be talked about for that position," she told the station, "but there are many, many things to consider and it affects our entire family. And it affects us for not just what might be four years or eight years, but for the remainder of our lives as well."

Mrs. Daniels spoke before the Elkhart Chamber of Commerce Women's Council luncheon. While public appearances are part of the job, she notes a national campaign would be a whole different level.

"I guess I don't know how I'd feel about a campaign of that magnitude, because I've never experienced anything like that before," she said. "And I don't think it's any secret that politics is not my forte. And even though

I've really enjoyed my experience as first lady, I still don't consider myself a politician."

Gov. Daniels has said family considerations will be a key factor in his decision, expected in the spring. He received a new wave of national media attention this week after a high profile appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington.

Earlier this year, he told the Terre Haute Tribune Star that his wife and four grown daughters were not eager for the spotlight media attention would bring.

"It scares them to death," he said. "And it should."

But should the family decide a presidential bid is a go, Mrs. Daniels told WSBT, "I think he would make a very good president. I think he, once he makes a decison to do whatever he wants to do, he's going to go at it 200 percent."

Gov. Daniels is recovering at home after undergoing outpatient shoulder surgery Thursday. He returns to work next week and will appear at a Cincinnati, Ohio, party dinner Wednesday.

– CNN National Editor Anna Gonzalez contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Mitch Daniels
  1. biglio

unless of course he comes up with some kind of sex scandal......
    then his wife support will probably wane.....
    Being a republican there is always the possibility.....

February 18, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Steve851

Why should he submit himself to the abuse. Anyone good enough to be president shouldn't run. He looks like he may be good enough. Ergo, he won't run.

February 18, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  3. Squigman

Ernest T. Bass, should listen to his wife. He's good at throwing rocks, but not good at problem solving.

February 18, 2011 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  4. Annie, Atlanta

When he makes up his mind, then it's a story.

In the meantime, the Koch brothers and their bought and paid for astroturf tea partiers are being bused into Madison for an "I Stand with Scott Walker" protest tomorrow. Hurry up CNN. Now it's worthy of your coverage. Your tea party faves are probably armed to the hilt, with at least their hate filled talkin points. That'll should for good tv, right? At the very least profitable, which seems to be the more important goal these days for y'all.

February 18, 2011 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. Annie, Atlanta

Hey, Arseneo, if you show up here, I wasn't talking about crosshair maps, I was talking about honest to God threats of death and bodily harm. The real thing. Maybe you need to read thoroughly before you jump.

February 18, 2011 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  6. IWISHIWASPHARTINGMAN

Save your time and money. You have about as much chance being elected president as I do.

February 19, 2011 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  7. Bill from GA

Wouldn't it be easier to announce which repugs AREN'T possibly RUNNING for prez??

February 19, 2011 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  8. Chris

Is there any GOP politician that isn't considering a run for President? The Republicans seem to be spending half their time galavanting around the country campaigning – and the other half attacking the President. Not one of them seems to be focussed on helping the country – just helping themselves or the GOP.

February 19, 2011 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  9. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Snooki Palin won't allow this. Run Snooki run!

February 19, 2011 06:46 am at 6:46 am |