Thune will not seek GOP presidential nomination
February 22nd, 2011

Thune will not seek GOP presidential nomination

Washington (CNN) - After months of speculation, Sen. John Thune, R-South Dakota, told supporters Tuesday that he will not seek the Republican presidential nomination in 2012 and instead will focus his time and efforts on Capitol Hill.

Thune released a joint statement with his wife, Kimberley, on his Facebook page shortly after noon saying that, for now, he needs to be in the Senate.

"There is a battle to be waged over what kind of country we are going to leave our children and grandchildren and that battle is happening now in Washington, not two years from now," Thune said in the statement. "So at this time, I feel that I am best positioned to fight for America's future here in the trenches of the United States Senate."

Thune, who ran unopposed for reelection in 2010, gained national attention just six years earlier when he defeated then-Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle. Thune's victory earned him the label as a "rising star" in the Republican Party, and he became an early backer of Sen. John McCain's presidential bid in 2008.

But Thune acknowledged in an interview last fall with "The Weekly Standard" that he was now looking at his own White House bid.

"I'm getting a very full look at it," he told writer Stephen F. Hayes. "I suppose you try to think what it would look like. One, is it something you want to do. Two, do you think there's a pathway to get there. And that's obviously a thought process that involves a lot of other people – your family and whatnot."

In recent weeks, though, it became clear that Thune was hedging against a run in 2012. In his speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference a few weeks ago, Thune joked he had not engaged in the type of early political positioning typical of a presidential hopeful.

"I'm honored to occupy the stage with so many of our party's great leaders," Thune said in his CPAC address. "It's fair to say that I don't have the same national name recognition of some of my more famous Republican colleagues. The truth is I've never held a book signing. I've been to Iowa plenty of times, but it's usually on my way to South Dakota. And the closest I've come to being on a reality show is C-SPAN's live coverage of the Senate floor.

He added, "The truth is I spend most of my time either back in South Dakota talking with the people who elected me or in the Senate working hard on their behalf."

In the statement, Thune said he had and his family had considered a bid for the White House after being encouraged to do so.

"During this time, Kimberley and I and our two daughters have given a great deal of thought to how we might best serve South Dakota and our nation," he said. "That process has involved lots of prayer."

During this time, Thune said he realized how important his role was in the Senate, especially during these difficult times. So for now, Thune will continue his work as chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee and he is expected to seek a more senior position in the Senate GOP leadership in 2013.

But the South Dakota Republican just turned 50. Should President Obama win a second term, Thune is very likely to be considered a major contender for the GOP nomination in 2016.

Filed under: 2012 • John Thune
  1. james Miller

WHAT ????? A Repub senator who doesn`t want to run for Pres? -– How novel!!!!

February 22, 2011 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  2. FM

Good move. One name less on the list. Who is next to drop out! – Sarah!!!

February 22, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. ConservaFascists

At least he has some bit of sense.

February 22, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. Fair is Fair

Too bad. He would be an excellent candidate.

February 22, 2011 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. Amy in Florida

Probably for the best. When I saw him speaking on the same stage as the appalling Sean Duffy, I knew this guy was not a serious contender. A presidential caliber politician needs to appeal to more than just a very narrow and negative base.

February 22, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  6. willie floyd

Smart decision. Looking forward to hearing who is next. The more the better.

February 22, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  7. S.positive

It is not as easy as the lies that has been told. When you wake up to reality, not everyone who thinks they want to be POTUS will get the job. You have to be more qualified than the present guy to win. THAT IS THE CLEAR CHALLENGE HERE.

February 22, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. William Jefferson

Decided he did not want to be the one to lose to President Obama. Whoever they nominate will have that moment of noteriety.

February 22, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Yeah, like this guy ever had a chance to beat President Obama!

February 22, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  10. Bessy

That only leaves about 14 more who are running. They all think they are the greatest. The biggest laugh of the day though is Donald Trump. Still laughing because this guy thinks he can win.

February 22, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Al

Yet another GOPer drops out of the race. The next person not to run against Obama, Sarah Palin.

February 22, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. rusty155

He new he couldn't win and either will Donald Trump. That all most as good that Saran Palin could beat President Obama.

February 22, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  13. Really?

Thune recognizes the Republicans have no solutions, just dysfunctional ideology. He intelligently does not want to sit helplessly while republicans self-distruct the country.

February 22, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  14. Realistic

The translation from Thunes statement: Yeah, right, I would of been whipped and humiliated and attacked and my family would of saw me on the national stage making a fool of myself. No I will go back to SD and pretend I have a plan for america, like the rest of the republicans in the senate and in the house.

February 22, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Thune is smart enough not to be part of the GOP political circus because they look more like the party of desperation.

February 22, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  16. diridi

yes, you, palin, her friend michelle, mitt, mitch, john boener, hukkabie, tim palanty, all should run...idiots...all should run....then it is easy for our Obama....o.k....GOP thugs, don't be silly stupid dudes....

February 22, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. Pretzel Logic

Wow, another unelectable candidate has decided he's unelectable. Too bad Trump doesn't have the same gift of insight.

February 22, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. Sniffit

So Captain Chiselchin finally decided to STOP running? Good. Some of the other lunatics in the GOP will be even easier for Obama to beat.

February 22, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I think this was an excellent move on Thune's part. The GOPers pretending to be poised to run for the presidency are diletantes at best, and worthy of jeers and derision.....at best again! Why would this man want to make the most important move of his political career in such unsuitable, and pathetic company.
    Even if he won the nomination he wouldn't be able to brag to ANYONE about the folks that he beat out for it.

Good move Thune.

February 22, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Bring them all! The more the merrier! The Republicans circus will be the only fun next year- can't wait.

February 22, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |