Reid proposes 30-day spending deal to avoid government shutdown
February 22nd, 2011

Reid proposes 30-day spending deal to avoid government shutdown

Washington (CNN) – The Senate's top Democrat said Tuesday he would propose a 30-day extension of government funding at roughly current levels to allow time for negotiations with Republicans on a longer-term spending measure.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, said he planned to open debate next week on the 30-day spending plan.

Filed under: Congress • Harry Reid • Senate
  1. Patrick from Minnesota

If Republicans need to remember anything, it's that the last time they performed a government shutdown, their dartboard Bill Clinton got re-elected. On second thought, I hope shut everything down. That way, Obama is sure to win a second term!

February 22, 2011 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  2. Four and The Door

Asking Harry Reid to participate in budget cuts is like asking an alcoholic or drug addict to attend rehab." Just give me a little more time. I'll go...really...I'll do better. I promise...just a few more days... wahhhhhh....".

The Republicans were sent to Washington with a mandate. The time to act and get the federal budget in control is now.

February 22, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  3. Annie, Atlanta

Is there anyone else out there wondering about the all-out assault by the Republican Party against Americans? We're being terrorized by one of the two parties in our two party system. They will let this country and it's people fall into a deeper recession or depression by shutting out government down. For what? To make the President fail. To help out their corporate masters? I don't understand.

Are we going to just take what they've been dishing out for decades now, or are we going to start making our voices heard like the good hard working people of Wisconsin. Enough.

February 22, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  4. Annie, Atlanta

How many people who are hurting, because of what Wall Street did to us, not unions, are going to be devastated if the GOP shuts down our government. Is there a single one of them left that actually cares about this country and it's people anymore. Or is it all for their rich contributors? I saw a post here on the ticker a couple of weeks ago asking why the Republicans don't just round up all of us and shoot us. What is this game? What are they trying to win? Complete control? What happens to us all if they win?

February 22, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  5. Sherri W.W.#1~ILLinois

Thats fine and Sen.Reid is a good,reasonable man,doing what he should do~Protect the People from these fools who do not want to govern,and should not be in Wash.D.C. to start with.However,for Sen.Reid and other Dems,to HAVE to spend their time fighting off this foolishness from Repubs/Teaprs,costs a lot of our time and $,while they keep the President and Democrats from actually getting things done! Pres.O and the Dems ARE the only"Adults" at this point,for sure.~and Sen Reid,if it comes to it,DONT BE AFRAID TO LET REPUBS SHUT THE GOVT.DOWN~Let em "Have at it"and THEN we`ll see,wont we??

February 22, 2011 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Albo58

Harry trying to kick the can down the road at the SAME spending rates...how about No, Harry?

February 22, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. MAC

Senator Reid has his head in the sand not seeing the writing in the wall that America is going broke. We need to cut more in spending andnot raise the taxes on industry as it creates jobs, not government. With high taxes companies have already moved overseas and more will leave taking jobs with them. Also why should public workers expect me to pay more taxes for them to have better pay and benefits than I get in the private sector. My sister and oldest son work union jobs but I do not owe them a better life on my tax dollars.

February 22, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |