Congressman apologizes for 'get bloody' comment
February 24th, 2011

Congressman apologizes for 'get bloody' comment

Washington (CNN)-Democratic Massachusetts Rep. Michael Capuano, who came under fire for heated comments he made at a union rally earlier this week, apologized for his remarks Thursday.

"I strongly believe in standing up for worker rights and my passion for preserving those rights may have gotten the best of me yesterday in an unscripted speech," he said in a statement. "I wish I had used different language to express my passion and I regret my choice of words."

Capuano spoke at a rally outside the statehouse in Boston Tuesday in support of Wisconsin state workers. He encouraged union members to challenge a proposal that would limit collective bargaining rights stating, "Every once in a while you've got to get out in the streets and get a little bloody when necessary. This fight is worth it."

The seven-term congressman was one of many who called for toned-down rhetoric after the shooting of Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords last month. But he seemed to recant that sentiment in early February, telling a local newspaper that he thought politicians had become too bland.

"Politicians, I think are too bland today. I don't know what they believe in," he told the Somerville Journal. "Nothing wrong with throwing a coffee cup at someone if you're doing it for human rights."

Capuano is mulling over a bid to take on popular Republican Sen. Scott Brown in 2012 and has said he will decide by this summer.

Filed under: Massachusetts • Michael Capuano
  1. annie s

DemoCommunists for a Better Way – Bankruptcy, you're right that not the protesters in Wisconsin are from Wisconsin. The Koch brothers paid to bus in the Tea Party to fight against the teachers and other middle class workers.

February 24, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. Four and The Door

Connie in Tn.
    ... People have forgotten what benefits they have because of labor unions...
    __________________________________________________________________
    yeah, like 10% + unemployment, most manufacturing now done in other countries and a $14 trillion national debt.
    People didn't forget, they just never thought about all the things organized labor has done for our country.

February 24, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Rachel

Where is the ticker for the attorney general of india who suggested using live ammuniton against wi protestors

February 24, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. Padraig

I am a conservative (don't like either party) and what Rep. Capuano said was in the heat of the moment. I am okay with it. Sometimes things need to be said. The media however have a different slant and all they want is to sell their product. The stupidity that I have heard from the liberal press about racism when the President is challenged is ridiculous. No one is going after his race (by the way he is half white) just his political views.

In regards to unions, they have a purpose but they have become corrupt. Some say the Republican party caters to coporations but equally the Democrats do the same for unions as well as coporations. This was evident in the last bailout, how many corporations were given money when they shouldn't have. Towards the situation in Wisconsin – I would let those who are picketing and not working 24 hours to get back to work or their fired. I work in the private sector, I pay for my health care and retirement plan equally with my employer – so should the public employee.

February 24, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. reader

Hyperbole for the sake of making a point is obviously dead.

February 24, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  6. Larry L

Democrats are the hateful and violent people? What is the color of the sky in your world? Are the militias around the country liberals? What about the white-supremest hate groups? Who's been buying ammo and talking about a Second Amendment solution? Have you ever listened to Ann Coulter or Glenn Beck? It's incredible to hear the indignation from the right-wingers.

February 24, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  7. a little sad

DemoCommunists for a Better Way – Bankruptcy

As usual, it is the left and their talk of violence that is causing problems across the country. Maybe this clown should be paying more attention to his own states problems and issues? I'll bet more than half the people demonstrating in Madison are NOT FROM WISCONSIN.

Well, the Kochs are bussing people in.

But they are still the minority as the majority support the workers' rights, so I don't think "more than half" is accurate.

February 24, 2011 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. The Real Tom Paine

@DemoCommunists for a Better Way – Bankruptcy:

Where were you during the Healthcare debate, under a rock? The right repeatedly invokes violent language and metaphors, ranging from "Second-amendment remedies" to just saying "Kill him!" It amazesand disgusts me how the Right continually invokes the victim image as well: remember how Rand Paul's blackshirted thugs stomped on the head of a woman at a rally, and then had the gall to demand an apology for upsetting them? Your lot are the ones who resort to violence first then declare it was necessary: did anyone reprimand the attorney General of indiana when he declared his desire to shoot striking union members this week? Where was your sense of outrage then, or is it as selective as the rest of your morality?

February 24, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |