Chris Christie: 'I already know I could win'
March 1st, 2011

Chris Christie: 'I already know I could win'

Washington (CNN) - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has repeatedly and dramatically said that he will not be seeking the GOP nomination for the 2012 presidential election, but said last week that if he were to run, he's confident he would win.

"I already know I could win. That's not the issue. The issue is not me sitting here and saying, 'Geez, it might be too hard. I don't think I can win.' I see the opportunity both at the primary level and at the general election level," Christie said during an interview with the National Review last week.

Despite much speculation and widespread popularity in the Republican Party, Christie has said that he doesn't feel personally ready to run for president, a key factor he believes would cause great detriment not only to himself, but to his party and the wellbeing of the country.

"I think when you have people who make the decision just based upon seeing the opportunity, you have a much greater likelihood that you're going to have a president who is not ready," Christie said.

As a first-term governor and relatively new player on the national political scene, Christie mused that he continues to observe his own improvement and that he is happy in his current role.

"There has never been a day where I've felt like I'm over my head, I don't know what to do, I'm lost. I don't know whether I'd feel the same way if I walked into the Oval Office a year and a half from now," Christie said.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. For real

You betcha, Go For it Chris, bring bachman along with you.

March 1, 2011 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  2. TotallyAmused

Yeah, he is so sure he could win, he "doesn't feel personally ready to run for president". In other words, that ain't just fat he's full of!

March 1, 2011 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  3. Eric

Translation: The Koch brothers told him "not this year." Governor YouTube will run when the brothers tell him to.

March 1, 2011 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  4. Joe M.

Last Presidential election, it was a flock of airhead candidates. This election, it will be a flock of ego maniacs. Oops! I forgot Huckabee. OK, its the election of airheads AND ego maniacs. Life just keeps getting more interesting!

March 1, 2011 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  5. Robertcloosdoosch

The Ego has landed...

March 1, 2011 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  6. Mark

Then run. But still no story about how Roger Ailes encouraged Judith Regan to lie to federal investigators when they were vetting Bernard Keirk for Homeland Security Chief. By the way, your new format on morning/afternoon news stinks.

March 1, 2011 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  7. angela

Where the heck have u been all these years.....thank god ur here.

March 1, 2011 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  8. Steve, New York City

This guy has done a very good job in New Jersey. However, what is the deal with his (suddenly) huge ego, possibly now eclipsing his (physical) girth?

March 1, 2011 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  9. Uncle Bully

I doubt he could win. He's got that slimey used car salesman vibe.

We Independents can see right through that " I'm not running for the well being of the party/ Country" stuff ....

He has to a have the independents on board to win. I for one am not buying what he is selling.

March 1, 2011 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  10. Nick

Christie is a joke. He's scored two huge blunders in his short time in office that has cost New Jersey nearly $400 million. He said he'd cut taxes , but has only done so for wealthy business owners. He's in bed with the rich and it's utterly apparent. Besides, he is a huge health risk, do Conservative Republicans really want to put this huge heart failure candidate in the Whitehouse?

March 2, 2011 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  11. usualone

Boy what an ego. I wonder who will knock him down a few notches. His good press won't last forever.

March 2, 2011 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  12. valwayne

Gov Christie, Obama and his extreme left wing ideology and agenda have done terrible terrible damage to our nation. His foreign policy of bows, apology, and appeasement is leading to disaster, the Middle East is ablaze as I write this and oil prices are rocketing upward which will smack our economy like a hammer. We need another Reagan who will put the nation first, and truly work to solve its problems. If you wait until 2016 and Obama is reelected we may not recover for a generation, and he may put our nation into a permanent tail spin to 3rd world status! Your nation needs you? Your nation in a time of great trouble with failed leadership it is calling to you! We need another Reagan. Honest, principled, ready to do what is right. That person is you!!!!

March 2, 2011 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  13. mike

Such humble arrogance you exhibit, Governor.

March 2, 2011 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  14. Zip

Wow. This guy's almost as arrogant as Charlie Sheen. As a republican, it would be nice to see a candidate emerge that can win in 2012. And I'm starting to wonder if we've got one.

March 2, 2011 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  15. Ken in NC

Not to worry dude. I will vote to insure you do not walk into the Oval Office a year and half from now.

March 2, 2011 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  16. Lisa Mitchell

Don't personally care for the man, but will give him credit for acknowledging that he is politically "immature"~

March 2, 2011 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  17. J.V.Hodgson

Ah he has criteria number one for anyone thinking about being President ... a huge EGO.
    Not intended as a criticism, simply an observation of reality.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

March 2, 2011 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  18. JackieInDallas

Honey-child, you almost didn't even win the race in your state for Governor. What makes you think that you have the intelligence, ability, the attitude, or the plain ole gumption to even win a single primary against unknowns? Yes, you talk big, and you've attracted the attention of some Faux News guys...and even managed to get yourself mentioned on CNN and MSNBC (although some of those stories haven't been very flattering, now, have they?), but when the world press is watching your every move, when every word out of your mouth is analyzed and commented on, you would melt at least half of that tub of lard off your body trying to escape! It's the same reason why Sarah won't run, either. To run means that you are responsible for what you say, you should have at least working knowledge of what you are talking about, you should be prepared for 24/7 pressure from the press and your opponents, and you have to be prepared to be silent if you can't be gracious when people attack you. You have to know that you'll get questions much harder than what newspapers do you read, and actually have answers for them. Neither you, Christie, or Palin have the intestinal fortitude to face that type of pressure.

March 2, 2011 01:51 am at 1:51 am |
  19. Nathan

If you actually look at what he said in context, he wasn't "confident he would win" at all. He was just acknowledging the existence of a plausible avenue to victory.

"I see the opportunity. But I just don’t believe that’s why you run. Like I said at AEI, I have people calling me and saying to me, 'Let me explain to you how you could win.' And I’m like, 'You’re barking up the wrong tree. I already know I could win.' That’s not the issue...."

March 2, 2011 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. chedar

All these republican governor that just got voted in looks like they are delusional. I would back out one more time if I were them and see what is happening when the liberal union start getting together and really out bid the senile group of Tea Partier who put them there.

March 2, 2011 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  21. Jayjay

God help us if this buffoon is ever President.

March 2, 2011 03:32 am at 3:32 am |
  22. frag

Yeh, I know I could have won the superbowl too, I was just too busy doing something else to bother myself with trivia!

March 2, 2011 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  23. jules sand-perkins

I don't know at all that Gov. Christie could win the presidency running with the banner or my party! He's a good governor.
    I know Republicans that I believe could beat Obama if they worked enough at it, but Christie needs to explain his confidence. Otherwise he sounds, in my opinion, as deluded as a certain well-noted northern African dictator on his path to a virtual beheading in Tripoli.
    RUN SCOTT BROWN FOR PRESIDENT!

March 2, 2011 04:04 am at 4:04 am |
  24. Tomaz

If i ran i already know i will win. so go for it mr. C! Personal im not ready is just as politrik as it get. A nation at constantly growing wars inside and out. Best the brother came up with is that he is not ready to save this beautiful woman from drowning? What happened to all the love and patriotism for usa? ITs NOT What your country can do for you.

March 2, 2011 04:14 am at 4:14 am |
  25. jules sand-perkins

With a presidential nomination for Gov. Christie, you get the same issue as with Gov. Barbour of Mississippi: each man would need to be sent to the White House with a formidable Vice-President on call, as all that fat is not healthy, and POTUS is a stressful job.
    Also, if you can't balance your diet and the bathroom scales better than that, how are you going to run America?
    Ever sit in a coach airplane seat beside somebody that fat?

March 2, 2011 04:20 am at 4:20 am |