Chris Christie: 'I already know I could win'
March 1st, 2011

Chris Christie: 'I already know I could win'

Washington (CNN) - New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has repeatedly and dramatically said that he will not be seeking the GOP nomination for the 2012 presidential election, but said last week that if he were to run, he's confident he would win.

"I already know I could win. That's not the issue. The issue is not me sitting here and saying, 'Geez, it might be too hard. I don't think I can win.' I see the opportunity both at the primary level and at the general election level," Christie said during an interview with the National Review last week.

Despite much speculation and widespread popularity in the Republican Party, Christie has said that he doesn't feel personally ready to run for president, a key factor he believes would cause great detriment not only to himself, but to his party and the wellbeing of the country.

"I think when you have people who make the decision just based upon seeing the opportunity, you have a much greater likelihood that you're going to have a president who is not ready," Christie said.

As a first-term governor and relatively new player on the national political scene, Christie mused that he continues to observe his own improvement and that he is happy in his current role.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. Marc

How did such an un-likeable scumbag ever get elected to public office in the first place? Rhetorical question. If my political party were really ever considering endorsing a person like Chris Christie for POTUS it would be the first time in a quarter century I considered re-registering as a Democrat. This guy is the Walmart of the political system: a wildly popular, guilty pleasure that very few want to admit to buying into. How this obnoxious slob believes he could win a national election is beyond comprehension. The gubernatorial pool in New Jersey was clearly lacking during the last election, and I'm thankful not to have been a resident. Now, if he wants to lobby for the next Jenny Craig spokesperson, I'm all ears.

March 2, 2011 04:25 am at 4:25 am |
  2. Chris

Do you really think you could win? How disillusioned are these neo-cons. I mean didn't Obama just tell every governor of every state that if you don't like healthcare reform come up with your own idea for your state. Now they are being called out but actually means working.

March 2, 2011 04:56 am at 4:56 am |
  3. payback

...Maybe the BIGGEST GOVERNER award. But not president. Don't get to full of yourself.....

March 2, 2011 05:49 am at 5:49 am |
  4. Chris

Another Republican with an over-inflated ego!

March 2, 2011 06:13 am at 6:13 am |
  5. cm

if it's kooks that would vote for palin then i'm sure this elephant could get some votes. This country has gone delusiional.

March 2, 2011 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  6. some guy in New Hampshire

OK, let's review. Christie has been a governor for five minutes and his fans want him to run for president. But Obama, having been a state legislator and US senator for years before running for president lacked adequate experience. Let's try to keep a common standard for candidates, regardless of who you like or what party you've sold your mind to..

March 2, 2011 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  7. Name Creole

Just Stay in Jersey and keep on cutting JOB! We don't need you for the rest of AMERICA No you can NOT WIN!!!!

March 2, 2011 06:58 am at 6:58 am |
  8. don

"I already know I could win" must mean I just don't love my country enough to run or I don't have enough faith in my abilities. Either way it is really refreshing to hear honesty come from a Republican governor these days.

March 2, 2011 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  9. mike

this idiot is so full of himself I guess that is the reason why he could easily win being the poster boy for what is wrong in this country and that is over eating hey fat boy did you every consider giving your mouth a rest and put your legs in gear maybe you can do yourself some good

March 2, 2011 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  10. chris

You can trust me that we will all know he is running when he loose about 100lb!!!
    He knows running for office on the National level these days is a combo of intellect and looks!!
    In Christie case, I am not that sure of the brains; I mean let's face it the media blows up every ones intellect these days...i.e. Sarah Palin? On top of that we are talking about the Governor of New Jersey, home of Jersey Shore and Housewives of New Jersey!! See what I mean!! But, in regards to looks, the guy could stand to loose some of that weight!!!

March 2, 2011 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  11. zanny

With that ego – he'll run. His 1 year as governor certainly qualifies him to be President???????? President Obama wasn't ready but he was certainly abetter choice than John McCain. I shutter to think where our country would be had the reults been different. If I were you, I would just sit back and enjoy the ego stroking because by 2012 with the budget cuts suggested by your party unemployment will be over 15% and we will be in a depression(which is their goal they would risk the future of this country to win an election) Stay where you are

March 2, 2011 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  12. stephen

Given the current GOP bench is laced with hypocrisy, scandal, passivity, and just plain stupidity, only a Republican Governor (with some balls) will have a chance.

March 2, 2011 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  13. beevee

In his dreams. Never heard of the guy.

March 2, 2011 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  14. The Dude

Got to give the man credit for this one. But I think he's just being shrewd and biding his time until 2016

March 2, 2011 07:43 am at 7:43 am |
  15. Name king

These repugs talk night and day about cuts, cuts, cuts, when they know dam well that cuts alone won't e en slow this jugganaugt of a deficit down much more reverse it. If these guys will get off their political drama and start talking real deficit reductions. And allow the dems to raise taxes, which is about 50 percent of our deficit problems, and stop giving tax giveaway to the rich and in the same breath, complain about budget crisis as they fork over more money to the rich. This Trikle down crap does not fix the budget, it enhance it, 10 years of tax cuts and these morans haven't seen the light yet.

March 2, 2011 07:47 am at 7:47 am |
  16. Joan

It would be great if both Christie and Donald Trump would run in the Republican primaries. Then we could watch the "Battle of the Egos". It would be really interesting to watch.

March 2, 2011 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  17. Tony

OMG!

Now this huge windbag is starting to believe his own press.

He should have been fired as governor when he stayed in Florida while New Jersey was buried in a snow emergency because "...my family is more important"? Families in politics make sacrifices, he didn't know that when he ran for governor?

So far he has done absolutely nothing of note as governor, and now he thinks he could win the nomination and I presume the presidency?

What a huge joke!

March 2, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  18. The Real Tom Paine

Get in mah belly!

Actually, he's the perfect GOP candidate: he's not completed his first term, he won with a plurality of the vote, he has no tangible results, so he's perfect for them. The only other qualifications I'm not sure about is whether his GPA in college was above a C, if he attended multiple schools before getting his Communications/Business degree, and if he still owes on his student loans. If he has most of that, he's a shoe-in.

March 2, 2011 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  19. chill

Hard to beleive, but this guy's head is getting bigger than the rest of him. Let's see what kind of shape NJ is in in a year or two under his reign.

March 2, 2011 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  20. Anthony Heyward

Really ?? You guys must really be desperate. You'd swear Obama was the worst President ever elected the way the media and Republicans are grabbing at anybody to run in 2012. A blatant dim wit former alaska governor, and this new joke of a New Jersey governor. ..not to mention Michelle Bachman???????? Idiots.

March 2, 2011 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  21. informed voter

Wow, talk about delusions of adequacy. Christie will be lucky to win reelection as the Governor of NJ, after killing one of the biggest job creating deals in his state (high speed rail) and ticking off all the hard working, tax paying teachers and other municipal workers in his state. "There has never been a day where I've felt like I'm over my head, I don't know what to do, I'm lost. I don't know whether I'd feel the same way if I walked into the Oval Office a year and a half from now," Christie said. that comment, alone, will seal his fate.

March 2, 2011 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  22. Fair is Fair

___________________

The 2008 election proved that to be just the case. Governor, although you're adamant about not running, please thoughtfully consider the VP spot if the nominee asks you.

March 2, 2011 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  23. REAL Patriots do MORE than salute the flag, they EDUCATE themselves

We're talking elections - not a hot dog eating contest, big mouth. You (nor any R) will not win in 2012. Brand is tarnished to the middle class, the youth, and the minority vote as well as any other person capable of rational thought. Worry about your slim (pun intended) chances of getting re-elected in NJ.

March 2, 2011 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  24. FM

"I already know I could win".
    This man is so funny. He can not even win moving from one state to the other in five states only!

March 2, 2011 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  25. USA401

Your not a winner unless you actually win. So grow some b@ll5 and run or hush up and promote Scott Brown from MA to run. Hes the only level headed conservative left.

March 2, 2011 08:36 am at 8:36 am |