O'Donnell says no to 'Dancing with the Stars'
March 1st, 2011

O'Donnell says no to 'Dancing with the Stars'

(CNN) – Christine O'Donnell, the surprise Republican Senate nominee in Delaware last year, has taken a pass on the opportunity to step back into the spotlight with an appearance on ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

In a statement, O'Donnell says she instead wants to devote her time to completing a book on the 2010 election.

"I'm honored to have been invited to participate in one of the few uplifting TV shows out there. The physical challenge made it all the more appealing. Meeting challenges head-on makes us stronger," she said. "Yet, for now, I have another challenge before me; to complete a book that tells the story of the 2010 election cycle with the dignity and respect it deserves."

"It is my hope that this book will serve as a clarion call to my fellow citizen-activists by taking the reader beyond petitions and protests and articulating not just what we should do, but why we must do it," she added.

The last high profile politician to appear on the hit TV show was Tom DeLay, the former House majority leader who has since been convicted of money laundering. He had to withdraw from the competition due to stress fractures in his feet.

"My goal is for the book and the new PAC I'm starting to serve as resources to activate and motivate those in this middle-class movement who worked so hard to launch the new revolution. If either of these projects were further along, I would be lacing up my dancing shoes right now."

Thanks in part to support from tea party activists and Sarah Palin, O'Donnell upset longtime congressman and former Delaware Gov. Mike Castle in last year's GOP Senate primary, before losing to Democrat Chris Coons in November's general election.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. Reddog

Great – Christine O'Donnell's "Tea Party Pop-up Book of Witchcraft and Campaign Finance". Looking forward to it :-)

March 1, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  2. Jay Kay, Minneapolis

Barnes & Nobel can start clearing out a space on it's discount table for this stinker.

March 1, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  3. Bob, Virginia

Please identify yourself if you plan to buy/read this idiot's "book."

March 1, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  4. Michael in Houston

Thank you so m,uch for sparing us that.....image. We have a hard enough time struggling with who you are, what you are, and where you came from as it is. Dealing with the image of you dancing...in dance outfits was just too much. But...hey..good luck with the book!! The nation awaits with anxious breath....we are giddy with excitement.

March 1, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  5. Molly Weasley

Funny how the DWTS people said they didn't even INVITE any political types this year, so - no surprise - this is the latest in a series of lies from this dingbat. Why do you even cover her? Her 15 minutes are long past.

March 1, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  6. t22

Haven't there been enough stories about failed GOP candidates? How about something about good old Alvin Greene, D, SC?

March 1, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  7. majikbunny

Is there a Dancing With The Witches show planned? She would be perfect....they would tapdance around the issues, as the set burned down.

March 1, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. Rick

I thought the title of the program was supposed to represent who was doing the dancing. Although I don't follow the show it certainly doesn't seem that most of the dancers to date aren't what one would call STARS.

March 1, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  9. donkey party

Completing a book? Why? For what? Money? She's a nobody, just like Palin.

March 1, 2011 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. carlos

name of the book......COMPLETE FAILURE

March 1, 2011 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. RG

So many dancing shows, it's amazing she knows which is witch.

March 1, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. Peter E

Sarah Palin is a quitter, a has-been, a loser, and a nobody. The only thing more pathetic than Sarah Palin is all those people trying to BE the loser nobody that she is. Christine O'Donnel cannot even get a single article about her, or anyone to even remember her name without comparing her with that loser nobody.
    But then again, CNN thinks all news is relative to that loser nobody. It's not news until Palin reacts to it.

March 1, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. LovesIrony

I would rather read a book of spells.

March 1, 2011 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  14. jeff, alabama

Like myself, the poor lady
    just may not be able to dance.
    Whatever reason, it certainly
    isn't news worthy.

March 1, 2011 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  15. Sarah Palin does not speak for me in Ohio

Gee, Bristol Palin was on the show and has a book coming out too. Does every losing candidate have to write a book these days?

March 1, 2011 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. Russ

"I have another challenge before me; to complete a book that tells the story of the 2010 election cycle with the dignity and respect it deserves." Christine, did you forget you were in that race? And you are using the words dignity and respect to describe it? No wonder you lost.

March 1, 2011 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. Carol

Another book by another idiot.

March 1, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. somasa3

And why is his news? Who cares!!

March 1, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. George

I've got a choice for her. GET A JOB! You've got to be the laziest person I've ever seen. You do nothing, but run for public office and rip off your contributors. GET A JOB!

March 1, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |