O'Donnell says no to 'Dancing with the Stars'
March 1st, 2011

O'Donnell says no to 'Dancing with the Stars'

(CNN) – Christine O'Donnell, the surprise Republican Senate nominee in Delaware last year, has taken a pass on the opportunity to step back into the spotlight with an appearance on ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

In a statement, O'Donnell says she instead wants to devote her time to completing a book on the 2010 election.

"I'm honored to have been invited to participate in one of the few uplifting TV shows out there. The physical challenge made it all the more appealing. Meeting challenges head-on makes us stronger," she said. "Yet, for now, I have another challenge before me; to complete a book that tells the story of the 2010 election cycle with the dignity and respect it deserves."

"It is my hope that this book will serve as a clarion call to my fellow citizen-activists by taking the reader beyond petitions and protests and articulating not just what we should do, but why we must do it," she added.

The last high profile politician to appear on the hit TV show was Tom DeLay, the former House majority leader who has since been convicted of money laundering. He had to withdraw from the competition due to stress fractures in his feet.

"My goal is for the book and the new PAC I'm starting to serve as resources to activate and motivate those in this middle-class movement who worked so hard to launch the new revolution. If either of these projects were further along, I would be lacing up my dancing shoes right now."

Thanks in part to support from tea party activists and Sarah Palin, O'Donnell upset longtime congressman and former Delaware Gov. Mike Castle in last year's GOP Senate primary, before losing to Democrat Chris Coons in November's general election.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. Tom

Will it be a comic book?

March 1, 2011 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  2. Alaskan Sourdough

A book about a crazy looser? Or a book about a witch? Who would read it?

March 1, 2011 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  3. slipthalo

Yep, she's only gotten to the 'See Dick Run, See Jane Run' and is having trouble figuring out the rest of the story.

March 1, 2011 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  4. kevin, IL

Will her book be a pop-up? Will it have witches in it. I can't wait for this book tour. Has she ever had a job?

March 1, 2011 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  5. don

No to DWTS and yes to Witches of Waverly Place?

March 1, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  6. ConservaFascists

Ah Schucks Christine. I was looking for a good laugh.

March 1, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  7. Moderate

A book no one will read.

March 1, 2011 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  8. manyote

That's great because the show is Dancing With the STARS not Dancing with the Notorious.

March 1, 2011 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  9. DENNA

Good. Nobody wants to see or hear this woman. Why doesn't she go and get a job with some of her Tea Party henchmen? Don't they take care of their own.

Are you happy America? The Tea Party is in charge and we are seeing the Rethug/Tea Party chipping away at our rights. Elections do have consequences.

March 1, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  10. Sniffit

yes...eye of newt or wing of bat...that is the question...

March 1, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. Gary Swanson

That's quite an All Star team that the Republican Party trots out for Dancing with the Stars (or vice-versa) ... a convict (Tom Delay), a teenaged unwed mother (Bristol Palin) and a witch. It's funny what the criteria this show uses to determine what it takes to be a "star."

March 1, 2011 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  12. ST

Oh! Christine you can do both, (writing a book and dancing) at the same time. Or you didn't find a "witch" as a dancing partner!!

March 1, 2011 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  13. ABM

Thank goodness. For once she made a good decision – aside from going on Politically Incorrect. Now I don't have to worry about hearing about her every week.

March 1, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  14. Bill

Wow. The first smart thing she's said...ever.

March 1, 2011 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  15. Larry

Stores should sell books by Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and Sharron Angle in a boxed set. This way the flow of money from the Tea Party morons to these other imbeciles could be expedited.

March 1, 2011 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  16. Tam

Sad, useless individual. How about some schooling, ethics learning and all that. And not from the Failin' Pailing campus.

March 1, 2011 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  17. DOCinPA

It's my understanding that DWS has a silence clause or something like that. EG: If you're invited, you are not to say anything until the whole world finds out on show night. She was babbling about an, "invitation," a while ago. I think she's full of it. I'd love to hear WDS's version.

March 1, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  18. Ed - NH

I hope she used the same people as Caribou Barbie did to write her book for her.

March 1, 2011 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  19. vburke

Oh, I can just NOT wait for her book "I'm Still Not A Witch, Dang It!"

March 1, 2011 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  20. MPLArms

She can write?

March 1, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  21. Lib123

her big choice? Oh, I thought you meant she skipped grade 2 and went right into grade 3

March 1, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  22. lgny

Gee, perhaps I should try this...
    Day 1: Announce that I'm being considered for DWTS.
    Day2: Announce that I'm declining it.

Instant free publicity!!!

March 1, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  23. Chedar

Who was that republican clown that was in Dancing with the Stars that is now in jail. She can be the next 'clownee

March 1, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  24. Tony in Maine

Rats – and I was looking for DWTS to pick up an Emmy for best comedy.

March 1, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  25. realist

Good choice Christine,the Palins will take care of that,specially the "MONEY!!!!!

March 1, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |