O'Donnell says no to 'Dancing with the Stars'
March 1st, 2011

O'Donnell says no to 'Dancing with the Stars'

(CNN) – Christine O'Donnell, the surprise Republican Senate nominee in Delaware last year, has taken a pass on the opportunity to step back into the spotlight with an appearance on ABC's Dancing with the Stars.

In a statement, O'Donnell says she instead wants to devote her time to completing a book on the 2010 election.

"I'm honored to have been invited to participate in one of the few uplifting TV shows out there. The physical challenge made it all the more appealing. Meeting challenges head-on makes us stronger," she said. "Yet, for now, I have another challenge before me; to complete a book that tells the story of the 2010 election cycle with the dignity and respect it deserves."

"It is my hope that this book will serve as a clarion call to my fellow citizen-activists by taking the reader beyond petitions and protests and articulating not just what we should do, but why we must do it," she added.

The last high profile politician to appear on the hit TV show was Tom DeLay, the former House majority leader who has since been convicted of money laundering. He had to withdraw from the competition due to stress fractures in his feet.

"My goal is for the book and the new PAC I'm starting to serve as resources to activate and motivate those in this middle-class movement who worked so hard to launch the new revolution. If either of these projects were further along, I would be lacing up my dancing shoes right now."

Thanks in part to support from tea party activists and Sarah Palin, O'Donnell upset longtime congressman and former Delaware Gov. Mike Castle in last year's GOP Senate primary, before losing to Democrat Chris Coons in November's general election.

Filed under: Christine O'Donnell
  1. Seattle Sue

I'm sure to be able to read her book, you would have to have on hand a lot of grains of salt.

March 1, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. Bob from Pitt.

Ha Ha Ha...

She wants to pull the same stunt as Sarah Palin, Write a book and become a millionaire.. I am wondering what would be of interest on her book, the part of the witch? Or the part of campaign misused funds? or the part her proclaiming herself as a constitutional expert (after all she had a 7 day course..!!
    I guess there are many in the Tea party that would buy her Bologna..

All the best on your book.. (Wink)

March 1, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  3. Lawrence

With her you need to put the boots on and watch where you step. Her book should be a deep intellectually insightful and of course unbias account that historians will refer to for many years,( yeah,right)

March 1, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  4. Al-NY,NY

"In a statement, O'Donnell says she instead wants to devote her time to completing a book on the 2010 election"
    --------------–
    well I guess she is taking a lesson from the half-governer from Alaska.....get slaughtered in an election, use the adulation from the sheep that actually think you have a brain to write a book (with pop-up witch kettles and broomsticks) and make $$$$$$$$

March 1, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  5. corona kid

Should be a short book. I can write it for her. "I am a joke told by Sarah Palin who is a joke herself. We got lots of laughs but not many votes. I helped a guy with no chance of winning win. I have nice teeth but not much bite. Send money please."

March 1, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  6. Kahuna

Wow, I'm surprised. Since the other troglodyte did so well on DWTS, I would have thought O'Donnell would have jumped at the chance for all that money. With the Tea Party sitting by their phones voting for her, she probably could have made 1-2 million easy. She certainly could not have been any worse than Bristol in the actual dancing.

March 1, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  7. frankD

Oh Boy. Yet another book from these.wackos. O'Donnell has learned from Sarah Barracuda that the suckers are waiting breathllessly to hear what she has to say, and there are big bucks to be made.

March 1, 2011 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  8. Rsprings

You have to hand it to her..she can still generate a story for te media. While she may not be on DWTS's she will still tap dance around politics.

March 1, 2011 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  9. Uncle Fudd

Ha ha hee hee. Christine O'Donnell is worried about DIGINITY? Tell me another. Jeez.

March 1, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  10. KO

I thought that this was the CNN political ticker, not People Magazine.

March 1, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  11. Tx Democrat

A book about WHAT!!!

March 1, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  12. Bill

Who buys all these books?

March 1, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  13. Big Al

It surprises me that her English is actually better than her mentor, Sarah Palin.

March 1, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. robertj

A story like this on the front page just shows what this country has come to.Why don't we just report every time she or Ms. Palin has to use the bathroom?

March 1, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  15. lynn

How is she paying the bills now? Who cares about her book, she's as yesterday's news as Palin.

March 1, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  16. Patrish

Does anyone really care???

March 1, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. The Real Tom Paine

One can only assume she was not being paid enough, so she declined.

Seriously, what does she have to say that could be remotely termed relevant? Who will read her book?

March 1, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. Ed

another air head writing a book before ever reading one

March 1, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. America fell asleep

Another PAC, another book. I'll be sure to watch for that newsmax best seller. What a racket.

March 1, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I bet she doesn't get any more sales than she got votes...

Not enough to pay her rent

March 1, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  21. Oy Vey Az

Oh by golly I can't wait ... If her book is sprinkled with the same high caliber prose we heard last year it should be a great read ... for kindergarten.

March 1, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  22. Joe

Really? she's writing a book..lol...Why? Really why?

March 1, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  23. Eric

In other words, DWS didn't offer her enough money.

March 1, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  24. gary

Who is writing the book for her? All of these dim wits keep churning out books. There must be one person getting rich for writing these books because half of the books are for has beens who could not construct a sentence and the other half are for members of congress who should be working for the american people, but instead have someone write books for them. The only reason that Sen. Brown decided to tell all his hidden secrets that, according to him, no one has ever known, including his wife and mother, is that he is up for re-election in 2012. The book should make people feel sorry for him and get him some votes. Typical politician, all for himself, and nothing for everyone else.

March 1, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  25. Sgt. Joe.

Oh, so very disappointed to miss another freak show. Is there anyone out there who doesn't write a book; especially when they have nothing of importance to share?

March 1, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |