Huckabee fires back
March 3rd, 2011

Huckabee fires back

(CNN) – Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee says that President Barack Obama has a "different world view" that was "molded out of a very different experience" because "most of us grew up going to boy scout meetings, and, you know, our communities were filled with rotary clubs, not madrassas."

The 2008 GOP presidential candidate, who's considering another run for the White House, made his comments Wednesday on talk radio host Bryan Fischer's program "Focal Point," on American Family Radio.

Huckabee used his appearance to fire back at critics, who blasted him for earlier this week confusing Indonesia, the country where Obama spent part of his youth, with Kenya. Saying that the problem with reporters may be that they "can't read," Huckabee admitted that he misspoke when characterizing President Obama's childhood in Kenya, and clarified his comments. "I said Kenya when I should have said Indonesia," he said.

Huckabee took as stand against what he called a "popular position with conservatives" and declared that "What I've never done is taken a position that Obama was born in Kenya or Indonesia, or anywhere other than Hawaii, where he was born."

When asked by Fischer to comment on the idea that there may be "some fundamental anti-Americanism in this president," Huckabee said of Obama, "that's exactly the point."

"I'm quoting a British newspaper…really we're expressing the outrage of the Brits for that bust being returned and the point was that they felt like…due to Obama's father and grandfather it could be that his version of and view about the Mau Mau revolution was very different than most of the people that perhaps would grow up in the United States.

"I have said many times, publicly, that I do think he has a different world view, and I think it's in part molded out of a very different experience. Most of us grew up going to boy scout meetings, and you know, our communities were filled with rotary clubs, not madrassas."

In the book "Dreams of my Father," Obama discusses the absence of his father during his childhood, when he was raised by his mother and his grandparents in Hawaii. Though Huckabee references "madrassas," a term used to refer to a Muslim school, Obama attended an international school while living in Indonesia, not a madrassa.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Kansan

How disingenuous can you get? He goes from the old disproven birther smear to the maddrassa smear. He knows exactly what he's doing. If he doesn't then he's not smart enough to be President. By the way, Rotary is called Rotary International for a reason, they have clubs all over the world, including Indonesia.

March 3, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  2. ProudAmerican

I like hackable. But this was terrible of him. In today's world of global economy and competitiveness it is a big advantage that leaders have some exposure to a world other than rotary club, little childhood exposure Obama have of other cultures makes him batter president than most narrow minded, tunnel visioned divisive, intolerant republican buddy's of hackable. Think about it, what if Pat Robertson becomes president.

March 3, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  3. The Choobs

"Most of us grew up going to boy scout meetings, and you know, our communities were filled with rotary clubs, not madrassas."

Way to be a bigot, Mike! And BTW, we all know you meant Kenya, not Indonesia, and that you're just trying to make him into the "other" and "un-American" because you have no actual ideas of your own other than this divisive and anti-American diatribe.

March 3, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  4. Don Beal

I know Huckabee wants to be President someday, so he is going to say something, anything to get his name and picture in the paper. But worldview based on childhood is a stretch. I grew up in small town America, too. I played baseball, joined the Boy Scouts, delivered newspapers, rode my bike, etc., pretty much as Huckabee probably did. But I didn't work for some television evangelist, as an impressionable young man, and I didn't go to a religious college. I went to a public university and worked for a large nationally known insurance company. My worldview evidently is much different than Huckabee's. Huckabee is accusing President of Obama of being un-American, when in fact he is as American as apple pie, or tortillas, or haggis, or General Tso's chicken, one of my favorites. (I'm not so fond of haggis, but I do like plaid.)

March 3, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  5. The reality is...

Scroll down to the article about Matt Damon: Morgan asked about Damon's well-known disapproval of Sarah Palin and the fact that he has spoken out against her since she was announced as John McCain's running mate in 2008. Damon said he still feels it was reckless to have someone who was "a complete mystery to everybody" be "literally a heartbeat away from the presidency." Damon also said he disagrees with Palin politically. "She's not somebody who I would vote for." But he supported Obama! who's "complete mystery" is now revealed and reckless administration is now destroying the country.

March 3, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  6. step2baking

What a load. Mr. Huckabee, did Indonesia have "Mau-Maus"? I don't think so. You were race-baiting. Kenya is more frightening than the truth of living 4 years in Indonesia. And a black African father is FAR more frightening than a white Kansan mother filled with idealism and wanting to help the world. Huckabee is being very disingenuous and is using the standard Republican tactic - yell back and focus on a very small part of the argument and then create strawmen to knock down. Huckabee has been very ably taken down by Andrew Sullivan and the Plum Line and Salon and not just for his supposedly innocent mistake. No one is saying he's a birther. They're saying that he's distorting reality in order to paint President Obama as a foreign other that good, god-fearing, white Americans need to fear. Shame on you Mr. Huckabee. You've been decent on occasion, but this is your dirty politician underbelly on full view here and you know it.

March 3, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  7. Butler

Not only is Huckerbee pandering to the extreme right, he is a blantant, ignorant racist. He could only dream of having the education and world experiences of the president. I know they produce better than him in Arkansas.

March 3, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |