Trump hits back, slams Sen. Lamar Alexander
March 7th, 2011

Trump hits back, slams Sen. Lamar Alexander

(CNN) - Donald Trump said Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander should “stop trying to get free publicity on the back of Donald Trump” on Monday, a day after the Tennessee senator told CNN that Trump has "absolutely no chance of winning" a presidential race.

“Sen. Lamar Alexander, who I do not know and have heard very little about over the years, perhaps because of a certain ineffectiveness, has recently stolen my line, word for word, about [Texas Rep.] Ron Paul, by stating that ‘Donald Trump has absolutely no chance of winning’ in a Presidential contest,” Trump said in a statement.

Alexander was discussing the pool of potential 2012 presidential contenders on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday when he told CNN’s Candy Crowley that there's “always someone like Donald Trump who has absolutely no chance of winning,” and that Trump is “famous for being famous."

The real estate tycoon and television star has repeatedly said he is seriously considering a run for president, but for now is focusing on the latest season of his hit show, “Celebrity Apprentice.” Trump told CNN last week that that he will not make a decision about a bid for the White House until June.

In a Newsweek/Daily Beast poll release last month, Trump was just two percentage points behind President Obama in a hypothetical head-to-head ballot, 43 to 41, and well within the poll’s sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Shortly after the poll's release, the potential candidate boasted of the positive numbers, saying in a YouTube video that they came as no surprise because his is a “message of common sense.” In his response to Alexander, Trump likewise predicted that he would fair well in the senator’s home state.

“As a Republican, I will not be looking for his support but think that, if I run, I will do very well in the state of Tennessee,” Trump said.

“The great people of Tennessee, like me, do not like being taken advantage of by the rest of the world, whether it’s China, South Korea, India, Pakistan, (who take our aid but won’t deliver Osama bin Laden), the OPEC nations who are destroying our country with their pricing of oil, or many others," Trump said.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Lindsey Brutus

Trump can't win. Ron Paul has a small chance.

March 7, 2011 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  2. bobster26

donald you are on the wrong ticket! for someone that is up-set over all of the things you mention about forign aid, sounds a lot like a democrates list. I mean...you're supose to be a capitalist right? so then it's a global economy. Let's just boycot china and sudia arabia.

March 7, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  3. valwayne

Seems like "The Donald" can dish it out, but is a little thin skinned when the same is directed his way?

March 7, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  4. KJ

As a Democrat, I agree with Sen. Alexander. Trump has little credibility and is nothing but a shameless self promoter. He needs to understand this is reality TV and the world has some very intelligent people who are more savvy the B list of so-called celebrities!

March 7, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Roscoe

I think Trump could send a strong message on family values. Probably not the message he'd like to send but a strong message none the less.

March 7, 2011 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  6. jazz92

Trump does not have anything to sow he can even be President. He does not have any policial experience. He does not even go to Iowa himself. he send some one to represent him. Come on! Really? Sure he is a candadate by proxy. How can anyone say he woould be a good President. He would not know anything about it!

March 7, 2011 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. IDontGetIt

I would vote for trump before any of the GOP bozos. At least he'll give you straight talk and no BS manipulation. I can listen to someone with a different opinion if I feel they are a straight shooter..

March 7, 2011 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  8. Max

This is a perfect example why Trump can't be elected.
    Say anything negative about him, and he comes back like a sling shot.
    Nothing political about that

March 7, 2011 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. MaryAnn in VA

I agree with Sen. Alexander and believe that Mr Trump is only putting his name out there for the free publicity. It's all about the ego.

March 7, 2011 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  10. GonzoinHouston

Everyone who takes The Donald seriously as a candidate for President is cordially requested to check into rehab at the first opportunity. He's very good at a lot of things, but leading the nation is not one of them.

March 7, 2011 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  11. Frank Sausage

I'd love to see Donald Trump run. I'd also like to see Sarah Palin run. Heck, I'd love to see and and all crazy Republicans run for President. Any loony right-winger who can suck up all the publicity and air-time that would go to a viable Republican candidate has my support. Crazy liar Huckabee, fee free to run too. Palin and Trump will never get my vote, but they definitely have my support while they screw things up for REAL candidates.

March 7, 2011 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  12. TeaParty

Support the rich Koch Brothers maker of Brawny paper towels, Angel Soft toilet paper, Mardi Gras napkins and towels and Quilted Northern toilet paper.

March 7, 2011 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  13. Dorothy Cory

I'd Vote for Donald Trump as our next United States of America " 2012" President in a heart beat. He means business and he's a doer of business when he says he will. He'd be better then any President we've had, better probably then Ronald Reagan.

March 7, 2011 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  14. Truth Dealer

I can't believe that i'm saying that a republican is right about anything given the current state of politics in Wisconsin ! But this senator is absolutely correct on this one ! Trump just loves the attention , he will promote his television show and never run because he knows that once his business dealings and personal life is laid out before the public his poll #'s and his personal popularity will fall faster than bolder off a cliff ! Trump is a publicity hound just like Palin , the only difference is that Trump know's how to pull out before he starts to annoy everyone like Palin has !

March 7, 2011 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  15. Time zapper

Well how sad, is in it too early in the game for GOP party potential candidates to start biting each other's heads off. for God sake give Donald trump a chane, i happen to have a gut feeling he will be the best president ever in recent times, even better than the great Ronald reagan, Trump is destined to save the americamn Economy and restore our financial credibility he is the future beluive it.

March 7, 2011 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  16. Unenrolled in Massachusetts

I do hope he runs. I don't think he will win, but he will get people thinking.

March 7, 2011 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  17. KO

The only thing that Trump cares about is his own massive ego. I hope that he does win the Republican nomination–it would be fun to see him completely creamed by Obama.

March 7, 2011 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  18. Luke

Trump is up there with the "Rent is too Damn High" guy on the political clown test.

March 7, 2011 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  19. CBR

Poor Donald Trump. Somebody thinks he cannot do the job of President. If he cannot stand these statements now, how will he ever manage to run for the two years it takes to win the primaries and win the presidential election.

I would tend to agree with Lamar Alexander. I do not think that I could vote for Donald Trump. Way too much history which I don't particularly wan t to read about or hear about for two years. I do not think he could work well with others either in the cabinet, in his office or with Congress.

March 8, 2011 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  20. steven harnack

He seems to be unaware that Alexander is a Republican. Just what we need, another unaware candidate. What, is it hip to be dumb these days?

March 8, 2011 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  21. Scott A

Its so fun to see bad people like Trump and Alexander bicker. Not sure which one is worse...probably Lamar since he's from Tennessee and reeks of the state's long history of bigotry. Its unfortunate a lot of voters aren't intelligent enough to understand or care that the terrible things these two men stand for (greed and pure hatefulness) are not good for this country. With smarter voters, we wouldn't even have to see these stories make the headlines because people will be more focused on improving the country rather than destroying it.

March 8, 2011 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  22. Scott F

The way things are going the Republicans will probably nominate Hump the wonder camel. The Republican Party is a really BAD Reality show. Palin, Bachman, Huckabee, Gingrich, etc. If it wasn't so laughable it would be tragic.

March 8, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  23. mike

FINALLY!!!!! someone has seen the state of this great country and is willing without reservation to deal with it. Donald Trump is a businessman plain and simple. Taxing China, great idea! making all those countries that hate us but take our money pay us back!?! DAMNED RIGHT!!! Donald, you have my vote! Democrats and Republicans be afraid, VERY AFRAID!!!! Why is it that i'm the only person to comment on this post??? C'mon Americans GROW A SET!!!!

March 8, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  24. Joshua Ludd

The Donald does things for only one reason... to benefit The Donald. He isn't actually interested in the job... it would interrupt him grifting for every dollar he can get. He just likes the idea of Donald Trump running for President. If he does actually run, it would be obscenely foolish to elect him.

March 8, 2011 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  25. MikeBell

I'm just waiting to see if he pulls a Ross Perot.
    He was in then he was out; then in for botching of Bush Senior's second term by drawing off fiscal conservative voters.
    Perhaps Trump has the true grit to stick with it.

An no I do not want Jeb Bush to run. Jeb is of the same Progressive faction as Obama. Which is why Obama continued the policies of G.W. Bush that put too much power into the Executive branch and led to the infringements upon our liberties today.

March 8, 2011 12:47 am at 12:47 am |