Technology and teachers change inner-city school
President Barack Obama tours a science class during a visit to Parkvyille Middle School and Center of Technology on Feburary 14, 2011 in Baltimore, Maryland.
March 8th, 2011

Technology and teachers change inner-city school

(CNN) - Like many schools in heavily urban areas, there are metal detectors, the neighborhood is poorer than many and 90% of the students qualify for free or subsidized lunches.

But there's a real difference at TechBoston Academy in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. At this school, 95% of the students are routinely accepted into college.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Massachusetts • President Obama
  1. T'sah from Virginia

Wow – if I was RICH, I would take my TAX CUT dollars and invest in our future!!! It would not be about self-interest that would satisfy my own personal world but what I can do to better it. I commend the Gates on their efforts and all others who can see beyond the tunnel and “gets” the BIG PICTURE!!

But what I have discovered is that you really don't have to be RICH!!! I am working on a project in my neighborhood with kids doing science projects, creating games that involves math and forcing them to invent no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I started out with 5 kids and now it has grown to over 20... if you think SMALL and believe in it – it will grow and make a difference in the BIG WORLD!!!!

I have bought every DUMMY book that's out there – geometry, algebra, calculus, biology, etc. and hold "mandatory" classes on weekends – if the kids do not attend, they cannot participate in projects we are developing. In reality – HANDS ON teaches better and the schools have no room for it. Also “poetry” is another “key” to learning and it works!!!

I am with President Obama all the way and no one out there has a better mission than he does!!! People can criticize him all they want but in the end – he will make a difference and WIN THE FUTURE!!!

Let's support our current leader, President Obama, as he continues to MOVE AMERICA FORWARD!!! Yes We Can!!!

March 8, 2011 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  2. gt

the main problem is no or little help at home ...little or no positive male role models.... the bar is set so low...demand a child to excell ....

March 8, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  3. diridi

mass production of computers needed to make aware of illegalities, and nonsense from political spectrum....Of course, education is needed in America too....it is way beyond from India and China....wake up....now we are branding Iowa, Ohio, and Florida as GOP states....this will change from education only.....lord, bless the nation....Oil Independence, stricter immigration, "Green Energy". Go for Obama....go....2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let Saudi Beg alms.....in the world.....

March 8, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  4. Marie MD

Glad to see the President does care about education!!!!! Not that the rethugs in texas are not trying to change US history. Then agsin it IS texas!!! :(:(

March 8, 2011 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Outstanding.
    This effort should be duplicated throughout the nation. This is an excellent example of a working partnership between private enterprise and the public shcool system.
    The career shadowing as it is being implemented here with successful people that came from the types of neighborhoods these kids are currently living in, is very very effective.

Kudos to all businesses, philanthropists, and foundations for giving hope and excellence a chance. I
    I benefitted from just such a partnership myself via a foundatiion called A Better Chance, they changed the course of my life.

March 8, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |