Columnist David Broder dies
March 9th, 2011

Columnist David Broder dies

(CNN) - David S. Broder, a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist for The Washington Post, died Wednesday in Arlington of complications from diabetes, the Post announced on their website.

Broder, 81, joined the Post in 1966 as a political reporter, a position he held until his death, writing a twice-weekly column in the paper. Nicknamed the dean of the Washington press corps, Broder covered every presidential convention since 1956.

Before his over four-decade long career at the Post, the Illinois native worked as a political reporter for Congressional Quarterly, The Washington Star and The New York Times.

The author of over a half dozen books, he won Pulitzers for coverage of the Watergate scandal that led to the resignation of former President Richard Nixon.

CNN Chief National Correspondent John King first met Broder in Iowa in 1987 while covering Democratic presidential candidate Michael Dukakis. King called him one of the "Gods of the business" who always took time to "give a kid advice."

"He just filled his notebooks," King said. "It wasn't about what he believed, it was about what people told him, the way the business is supposed to be."

"He was the kind of journalist we all aspire to be-fair, dogged, knowledgeable and gracious. When I was the new kid on the block-and the campaign trail-David was never too busy to help me out," CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger said. "He had the greatest trait a reporter can have. He listened."

Filed under: Washington
  1. Patrick

End of an era. All we have left are clowns, bill o reilly and bill maher. Heaven help us.

March 9, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Paul

What a loss. He was very good and his writing and TV appearances were very educational. I will miss his work.

March 9, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  3. DemoCommunists for a Better Way - Bankruptcy

Bummer, seemed like a real nice, thoughful guy. Didn't always agree with him but that's OK.

March 9, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  4. Name

Rest in pease

March 9, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  5. Kathleen

What a loss. He was a terrific writer and a true gentleman in every sense of the word. I was a very "green" reporter 20 years ago and ran into him every so often in the National Press Building. He never failed to ask me what I was working on (believe me, it was never anything nearly as interesting as what he was doing) and always offered kind words of encouragement. RIP, Mr. Broder.

March 9, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  6. Breakingthemind.com

You guys need to use proper grammar and give respect to those who "passed away". Quit saying "died".

March 9, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. Scot

RIP David you did a great service to the American people !

March 9, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. hannah

This is sad. I really liked him. He will be missed.

March 9, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. Arlon

First Mike Starr, now David Broder... who's number 3? Or did I already miss someone?

March 9, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  10. Rosamond Hooper-Hamersley

I trust that CNN is working on more substantial coverage of this sad death – David S. Broder was a wonderful journalist and a fine man and this is centerpiece news.

March 9, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Oy Vey Az

I'll miss him on Meet the Press. I am sure that he is penning his opinions from the other side today.

March 9, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. Linda Fleisher

What a loss. You could always count on Broder's dry wit on the Sunday news show circuit. He was a very smart, asute man with an important point of view.

March 9, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. cog in the wheel

Our loss...I always found Mr. Broder a reasonable voice. RIP

March 9, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Anthony

Very straight talking news commentator! He will be missed! RIP sir!

March 9, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Truthmonitor

What a terrible loss. Another rare, honest, unbiased journalist bites the dust. There are so few of them left.

March 9, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  16. scott

we lost a very wise man

March 9, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  17. rudy

Yes he was a perceptive man who truly understood the issues. Not a CNN yellow journalist..

March 9, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  18. Tom

A class act and a gentleman all the way. Wish there were more like him.
    R.I.P., Mr. Broder. I hope your loved ones find peace in the knowledge that you will be missed.

March 9, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  19. Paul

Such a loss. I looked forward every week to his Friday commentary on Bob Edwards' show on XM. He was always insightful and aware, and I enjoyed those commentaries even when I vehemently disagreed with him.

March 9, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  20. RIALgal

He will be sorely missed. : (

March 9, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. sonny chapman

Decent human being. Rare in that profession these days.

March 9, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  22. S. Britchky

Broder was some of those things. He was also one of the people who criticized George Bush for not returning immediately to the White House after the 9/11 attacks. Dean Broder was evidently not smart enough to know that's where the terrorists were headed next, until the patriots on Flight 93 brought down their aircraft.

March 9, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. Warriorsmk

Dave Broder was one of the finest gentleman I ever had the priviledge of knowing and calling collegue. A thinker, a mentor, a gentle soul; he was a man in the truest sense of the word. Heaven for him would be summer on Isle Royal. My sympathies to his family both personal and at The Washington Post.

March 9, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  24. janeyre

This guy was a class act... Well informed and neutral...

March 9, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |