Federal workers face paycheck assault
March 9th, 2011

Federal workers face paycheck assault

Washington (CNNMoney) – A House hearing Wednesday entitled "Are Federal Workers Underpaid?" has the exact opposite intent - and could serve as the first step in a new legislative assault on federal worker pay.

Some conservative experts were testifying about reducing the pay and benefits of government employees.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Budget • CNNMoney.com
  1. idb

The worst thing is that Federal workers are actually one of the few people in the United States that receive a normal wage with normal benefits and normal holidays. Instead of raising everyone to that level (legal workers that is) everything is tried to get them down to the underpaid class. Sad.

March 9, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Minnesotan With A Brain

Federal Workers – Welcome to the recession.

March 9, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. S. In California

Let's see now: no unions, no health care and now reduction of federal workers pay. Still no mention of reducing THEIR own salaries. Anyone and I do mean anyone who votes [R] and does not make at least $200,00 is simply out of their mind. Please seek counseling because you are a danger to our society.

March 9, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. vet in texas

The GOP are clueless, in efforts to appeal to their base (which they will always have), they have systematically lost the following:

All brown voters (black, arab, hispanic, asian, other, muslim)
    Jewish voters
    Union voters
    federal employee voters
    Keep in mind only 37% of registered voters went to the polls in November and 67% went to the polls in 2008. Based on their arrogance, greed, and personal vendettas.......they will get creamed in 2012 and finished off in 2014. The new crop of TP candidates have no clue what they are doing, accept pandering to their 20% of the population and will possibly get recalled in the near future. Wisconsin will be the TP's waterloo! You've heard it here first, I'll bet anyone, anything......place your bets

March 9, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Name king

Hey if every one going down the fed should too starting with congress judicial branch, and the president, only the rich will get out of the repugs onslaught unscave. Hey most of these folks voted against their own interest, and voted for the repugs so the piper have to be paid, what I really want to see is those social security and Medicare old folks get their moneys worth, and get their entitlements and money slashed by the repugs, who they voted for and will always vote for.

March 9, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Inmyopinion

Give me a break, how ridiculous to say that federal workers get paid more because they are highly educated and have highly skilled jobs than private sector employees. Anyone that has ever been in a federal office can see most of them standing around doing nothing. I don't think any of them do actual work for more than 28 hours a week. It's a miracle if they return your phone call or reply to an email withing 2 weeks. It takes 7 guys, 5 days to repair a small section of the sidewalk.

At least they are admitting that federal workers get paid more than the private sector worker. If workers in the private sector were to kill as much time as federal workers they would be fired while federal workers do not get fired.

March 9, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

You can bet they won't be looking at the Congressional salaries.

March 9, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. Oy Vey Az

Conservative legislators testifying about reducing the pay and benefits of government employees should lead by example and cut thier own paychecks as well.

March 9, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Steve in North Carolina

Good. Start with the bloated and usless TSA and work your way on up to include congressional salaries.

March 9, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  10. Squigman

Please note: The discription workers does not include administration. The workers will always be first in line for cuts, because administrators will always find ways to shelter their pay, and benifits. And if they can not figure a way to do so, the news media will figure a way to make the workers believe that they (the workers), owe the administrators because after all they are the boss, and surely the boss wouldn't lie, cheat, steal, or look out for their own first. They're supposed to have your interest at heart, right? Yea! right.

March 9, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. FederalMBAWorker

In good robust times, I was the joke of all my friends who were earning more than me. As early as finishing my undergraduate degree, my friends, who were in the private sector earning more than I was, sometimes double, sometimes triple, asked me why I bothered to work in the federal government. Come on, they said, the money is out here. I answered that I worked for the federal government because I got paid enough, it had good benefits for me, and I appreciated the stability. I chose a job of lower risk, my friends took jobs of higher risk.

Now that things are taking a long time to get strong again, federal employees are one huge target for those unhappy that they took that increased risk. What happened to all that money made in the private sector? All those years that they made more than me? What happened to all their money? All those years that I took a depressed salary compared to them, in the desire to have that benefit of security? This is a comparison of public-sector white collar to private-sector white-collar.

Years later, the security of my employment and the benefits (which are not some sort of limousine of benefits packages, let me assure you) are under attack.

The very people who are talking about cutting my pay are earning factors more in salary than I ever will. Let them take a pay cut first, these people from the think tanks, these people going to work in great white buildings in the nation's capital, these people who live in mansions and have vacation homes and drive luxury vehicles. Let these leaders of our society actually lead by example. You want to purposely hurt your workers? Then hurt yourselves equally first, in the same magnitude. Otherwise, there is one word to describe you: Coward. Because that's what a bully is.

Lee Iacoca, look him up, a man who put his money where his mouth is.

These hearings in which federal salaries are being put on the potential chopping block, it would be very interesting to know how much each of these people at the hearings is getting in their take-home pay, don't you think? You want me to take a 10% pay cut? Then you give youself a 30% pay cut, because you are leaders, and you're not doing a good job. And you may then be somewhat, sort of approaching MY level of salary, and believe me, there are no mansions, vacation homes, or luxury vehicles ever in my lifetime.

March 9, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. FederalMBAWorker

To InMyOpinion,

It's easy to mistake contractors with federal employees. The seven guys 5 days to repair a small section of sidewalk – those were contractors hired by the federal government and paid with your tax money.

March 9, 2011 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. OneMoreTime

And we are supposed to trust the Heritage Foundation and the American Enterprise Institue to speak the truth?

March 9, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  14. Debbie from Arizona

I'm for reducing Federal Workers pay, as long as this reduction includes Federal Legislators and Senators. They are all for cutting wages and health care, as long as it's not theirs.

March 9, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  15. Sniffit

That's right...take out all your resentment on government employees, not the private employers who are robbing you blind and using you as indentured servants. A better example of perfectly executed purposeful misdirection resulting in people dividing themselves so they can be conquered really doesn't exist. Better get some chin straps for your tinfoil hats, you morons, because you're sending us down a very rocky road. But at least you'll have dragged everyone else under the bus with you, eh?

March 9, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Four and The Door

But John Berry, director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, defended worker pay. In his testimony, he said it's not easy or fair to compare federal workers directly with private sector workers, because federal workers are more highly educated and work more highly skilled jobs than private sector employees.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    With that level of arrogance, he must be a card carrying member of the Obama Administration. Is it 2012 yet? These buffoons are too full of themselves to get anything done. This must be their private country and the rest of us peasants are just working in our mindless unskilled jobs to support their needs.

March 9, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. Sniffit

BTW, the GOP is doing this for two reasons: (1) clearly, the less they make, the less their unions can expect to get in dues and (2) they want to make it unpalatable to be a federal employee so people will simply leave their jobs and not atke jobs working there...it's the back door end-around way of reducing regulatory oversight of their corporate masters' abuse of employees, the environment, the financial system, etc.

March 9, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |