Obama makes light of birthplace rumors
March 9th, 2011

Obama makes light of birthplace rumors

(CNN) – President Obama joked about the ongoing "birther" debate surrounding his birthplace at a Democratic fundraiser in Boston Tuesday night.

"I think there's nothing – there's no weakness in us trying to reach out and seeing if we can find common ground. Now, there are going to be times where we can't," Obama said about reaching across the aisle. "I was born in Hawaii, what can I say? I mean, I just… I can't change those facts."

Obama was in fact born in Hawaii, but it has been a topic of conversation since the 2008 election. On Monday the Supreme Court again rejected an appeal from a "birther" proponent questioning the citizenship of the president. At least 10 states have introduced bills requiring presidential candidates to provide proof they are natural-born citizens.

Filed under: Birthers • President Obama
  1. KLK

The "birthers" are a huge joke, but the joke isn't funny.

March 9, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  2. Mikey

Personally, I would like each of these birthers prove they were born on this planet. How do we know they are U.S. citizens and are eligible to vote? At a minimum, they should all be very glad there is not an intelligence requirement to vote. Well, they are good for the entertainment value – but they should not expect to be taken seriously. Once you prove yourself a birther or a hard-core Teapartier, you forfeit all respect and credibility.

March 9, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  3. MCJNY

The whole birther thing has been researched ad naseum but those who can't stomach a black man being president of the united states will not give up that fight. I have heard many questions about why obama doesn't do this or that? Ok. ask them but don't forget these questions. If the republicans have information that would disqualify the president, why not just impeach?. During the vetting process for candidacy, The Clintons brought up this issue and had it investigated thoroughly before the primary loss as a public relations weapon. They found nothing to work with except the power of a rumor. How could they find nothing to work with? This is a form of slander that requires no real proof and ignores the very real proof that exists. I have the same birth certificate the president has. Every time that they see or think of obama, the illusion of superiority that so many whites have is threatened. They hate that guy. He's just another president to me. And not a bad one in comparison to the other 41. imo

March 9, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  4. S. In California

I support our president 100% and I know this is ALL about racism but I have mixed feelings on this. First of all NO OTHER PRESIDENT IN HISTORY has been asked about their birthplace (and we ALL know why) but the other part of me feels why pay money to hide something? I think he should bring it to light and going forward ALL presidents MUST produce their birth certificates and be scrutinized just as he is. Please Mr. President bring it to light.

March 9, 2011 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  5. ConservaFascists/F.U.B.A.R.

Apparently Birthers don't believe Hawaii is a state. Last time I checked I didn't need a passport to go there.

March 9, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  6. Orlando R

Obama was born in Hawaii Period! Accept it lets move on! How come no one else questioned the birthplace or the religion of any other US president

March 9, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  7. Eric

The inability of ability of many in the Republican base to understand facts is no clearer than the birther issue. Fair minded people revile at such claims including most true independents.

March 9, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  8. ja

the birthers,and tea partiers are the new homegrown, terrorists, wasting time on this birth mess, Mr President you owe no explanation, it is sickening that it is still an issuse,what about the wmds lie, and the two wars waged based on lies and no through investigation

March 9, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  9. Sniffit

List the 10 states, CNN, or are you just trying to hide what we all already know about what they have in common?

March 9, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  10. Boston

Based on what information does CNN declare it a "fact"? The 2 million in legal fees Obama has spent to keep his long form birth certificate under lock and key? How about the fact the Hawaiian Gov Abercrombe mouthed off that he would release Obama's original Long Form to shut up the "birthers" and then couldn't produce it? Do you mean facts like those?

March 9, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  11. DemoCommunists for a Better Way - Bankruptcy

===============================================================================================
    I can't believe that this has never been done before! Has everybody just been assuming it was somebody elses job to do? COME ON!! GET THIS STUFF DONE RIGHT!!

March 9, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. fayse

President Obama's mother had a passport, The passport is stamped and dated when you travel. Perhaps her passport could be produced and show where she was at the time of his birth, Since the birters do not believe the newspaper announcements of birth, and a copy of his birth certificate has been produced, maybe this would shut them up. I am a natural born American and I don't have my original birth certificate. This is just a distraction by the GOP /TP.

March 9, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. Pam

It is too bad there was no law in place when GW Bush was elected (or bought would be the more appropriate term) where President-elects must prove that they are human!!!

March 9, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  14. Inmyopinion

It's understandable that given that his mother at a very young age and pregnant married a student from Kenya that she would have gone to Kenya with him because he would have wanted his bride to meet his family in Kenya, especially that she was carrying his child, and most likely gave birth in Kenya and when she returned to Hawaii she gave her son her U.S. citizenship and they registered him as born in Hawaii and his grandmother posted an announcement in the newspaper.

I don't think back then Hawaii had very strict laws as they had not been a State of the U.S. for very long. I doubt the Hawaiian people kept accurate records back then as they were getting used to U.S. laws.

This questioning could be easily resolved by looking into his mother's passport to see if she exited Hawaii to Kenya when she married and her return date to Hawaii.

Obama's mother's history of traveling to a foreign country is one of the reasons for there to be doubt as to where her son was born, after all, she was part of the Peace Corp, she did make her home in Indonesia, married an Indonesian man and gave birth to her daughter in Indonesia and raised her son in Indonesia.

March 9, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  15. Jilli

Good job Mr. President. You have to laugh at the bitter birther rubes. Bless their hearts...

March 9, 2011 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. MAC

This is just a distraction for the Presidents 7 Billion dollar deficit created over the next 10 years and his other poor politcal policies. The birthers are not news!

March 9, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. Tired of the nonsense

The president could have been born on the moon, and he'd STILL be an American citizen. His mother is American! That makes him American! That's the way that rule works.

March 9, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. The Other Michael in Houston

Republicans will do anything to discredit President Obama, no matter how stupid they look. Good for you Mr. President for making a joke out of these idiots. But please note Mr. President, the stupidity is going to get worse after WE re-elect you in 2012.

March 9, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  19. Cyrus

I thought the new Gov. of Haiwaii siad they couldn't find the long form BC??

March 9, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  20. A. Goodwin

Fayse – I agree with you on most of your post. I would like to point out, however, that HI became a state in 1959 and President Obama was born in 1961. Therefore, there would have been no requirement for his mother to have a passport to enter a state...which means your idea is really not valid. Just saying. BTW – I think the birthers are a bunch of kooks. They LOVE tying President Obama to Kenya, but he never lived there! He lived in the US and Indonesia...that's it.

March 9, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. Rev Mkell,

I'm getting somewhat tired of this Birther thing!! Grow up, buy a new comic book. We are growing bored with this drivel! Get a life!

March 9, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  22. kat

He just loves all the controversary about his birth. Personally I don't care where he was born, he's still an idiot and not qualified to be President.

March 9, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Al-NY,NY

the birthers don't care about documents, the SCOTUS tossing their frivolous lawsuits out, or even that the she-man Coulter has dismissed them. They will cling to anything that will help them deny the fact that Obama is President. Unless something changes, the current GOP candidates ensures his reelection.....and the birthers will go back to the corner of the room, start sucking their thumbs, rocking back and forth saying to themselves "It's not real. It's not real"

March 9, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  24. Mike K

Please tell me how CNN can write " Obama was in fact born in Hawaii"..I don't doubt he was born in Hawaii, I don't understand how he can not have supplied a birth certificate.....I can't even get a kid onto a soccer roster in Maryland without the original birth certificate....it confounds me how this can even be discussed 2 years after his election and is starting to bother me every time I hear about it........it should not be even debatable..supply the certificate or explain that there is information on it he'd like to remain confidential....If he is apostate AMERICA doesn't care and will protect him!

March 9, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  25. kelsey's grammar

There is nothing, NOTHING, the President can do to convince the looney birthers. "Show the long form!" Long form? WTH? I don't have a long form. Does this mean I'm not a citizen.

March 9, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |