Palin has path to win, Republican warns
March 14th, 2011

Palin has path to win, Republican warns

(CNN) – Prominent New Hampshire Republican Judd Gregg says that Sarah Palin just might have a clearer path to the Republican presidential nomination next year than commonly understood – an event he warns would lead to President Obama's clear reelection.

Gregg, the former senator and governor of the Granite State, says the muddled GOP presidential field means it's more likely than ever there won't be a clear consensus candidate before the party's nominating convention in August of 2012. If that happens, says Gregg, Palin and her army of supporters might have the upper hand when it comes to settling on a presidential candidate.

"A candidate who runs second or third in a great many primaries could go into the convention with a sizable block of delegates," writes Gregg in an Op-Ed in The Hill newspaper Monday. "Who would this favor? Does Sarah Palin come to mind? Although she is not viewed by most as strong enough to win, she is viewed by many as a person worth voting for to make a statement."

While it's unlikely Palin (should she run) would win that many primary contests, placing second or third might be enough - especially this time around when delegates will be awarded a proportionate basis instead of the winner-take-all system that has previously been the rule in Republican primaries.

"Finishing second and third isn't really a big deal – until you get enough delegates to be the nominee," writes Gregg. "And picking a nominee who it seems would be easily defeated by President Obama might not be the best statement."

In 2008, Gregg was a supporter of Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who is all-but-certain to run again.

Filed under: Judd Gregg • Sarah Palin
  1. runuts

GSMith......hahahaha even you don't believe that....that's why no Repug has come out to challenge President Obama...he will win and you will weep...he's best for the country and you know it ...what's wrong with you? is is a race thing? do you feel inferior because a black man has turned out to be a very decent president....one who knows that it is right to be "our brother's keeper" rather than looking out only for oneself?

March 14, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

Fantastic! Run Sarah run, or would quit her campaign half way through? Re-elect our President.

March 14, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. Rich

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE win the nomination

I would love to see Obama in office for another 4 years

March 14, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. taxpayer

Another RINO – he can go ahead and support Romney again, but that also signals that he thinks ObamaCare is fine which isn't going to be the case with most Republicans

March 14, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  5. Jamie

Don't put it past these folks to elect her. After all, they elected W twice and look at the ruin he reeked on our country and the world (Iraq)!

March 14, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. Lolo

She will win because of old coots like Pat Buchanan who just want to bed her. This woman is a fruitcake all day long. Then they are talking Michelle Bachman running too. Go figure. The republican and tea partiers are fruitcakes for even thinking of such a crazy idea.

March 14, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Corneliusone

We need some comedy in 2012 elections. Bring it on. Would be fun.

March 14, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  8. beowulf2

I will be supporting Newt Gingrich for the Republican nomination. I like Sarah Palin but Gingrich is a better communicator.

March 14, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  9. Matt

Sure, she's worth voting for to make a statement – as long as that statement is, "I'm an ideologically-blinded lunatic who would rather see the United States collapse than share it with people who look and/or believe different than me."

March 14, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  10. jules sand-perkins

Run Palin for president and Bachmann for VP.
    Bound to win.

March 14, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. Jonathan

I swear if Palin gets the nomination, I'm voting for Obama. And I can't stand Obama. My father would disown me if I voted for Obama. But at least he has a brain. I may not agree with most of the things he's done, but I can at least understand where he's coming from. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever heard anything intelligent come out of her mouth. Even when she has the "answers" written on her hands (like a grade school kid trying to cheat on a test – and doing a poor job of it). She is what I like to call a dasor – Dumb As a Sack Of Rocks. And the fact that she has her own "reality" tv show should be automatic disqualification from holding office. (Actually having anything to do with "reality" tv should disqualify you from a lot of things.) Bottom line – I wouldn't trust her to be president of the PTA, let alone the entire country.

March 14, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. Ed in Reno, Nevada

"Although she is not viewed by most as strong enough to win, she is viewed by many as a person worth voting for to make a statement." And that statement would be, "I'm a moron!"

March 14, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  13. APF

She is the Democratic party's best friend. Trust me a Palin nomination would be great news for Democrats as they would just about secure the independent voters.

March 14, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  14. Paul ny http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

I am so hoping that Sarah Palin wins the nomination because that would guarantee no crazy backwards Republicans for at least 4 more years.

March 14, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  15. W.G.

I hope she does run . as a republican it will do 2 things first , prove all republicans and tea partiers are nuts and
    second , get Obama elected again .

March 14, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. Rosslaw

And I suggest she pair up with our own esteemed Senator David Vitter-a perfect "family values" team. Just tell me where to send my contribution to President Obama's reelection campaign, eh, I mean the Palin/Vitter election campaign.

March 14, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  17. Nodule

Anybody that supports Sarah Palin should be shipped to Siberia. I'm not even joking. You are a moron if you support this woman and think she should even sniff the White House.

March 14, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. seriously???

I love the comments from the so called Obama supporters who'd now supposedly vote for a turnip in 2012 than vote for Obama. What B.S. As someone who voted for Obama, the only thing I'm displeased about his presidency is that he hasn't been vocal enough in shooting down the absolute garbage and mistruths the Republicans are banking on in 2012. Republican's have painted a portrait of Obama that is about as accurate as they come. And how they've gotten their supporters to believe in it as truth is as head scratching as the 9/11 conspiracy theorists.

March 14, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. Amy

I'm conservative. I wish this woman would go away. She's ill-prepared and uninformed in most instances. There are so many strong potential GOP candidates. This one takes the laughing-stock cake – she is the topper.

March 14, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  20. John Ellis

She's a fitting representative of the insane party she belongs to. Please follow her over the cliff.

March 14, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  21. Amy

I'm conservative. I wish this woman would go away. She's ill-prepared and uninformed in most instances. There are so many strong potential GOP candidates. She needs to step aside.

March 14, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  22. Amy

This woman is ill-prepared and uninformed in most instances. There are so many strong potential GOP candidates. She needs to step aside.

March 14, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  23. KEVIN W

AWE C'MON PEOPLE! Anyone who thinks Sarah Palin or any one else of the current GOP contenders has a chance of winning the presidency – has never left the USA or their own home towns for that matter. The rest of the intellegent world can't believe the crap that comes out of the mouths of the political right! It's an absolute comedy and quite frankly really scary. The belief that your current president is the ONLY cause of your current problems laughable. BUSH MADE YOU THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE ENTIRE FREE WORLD AND CHENEY IS THE BIGGEST CROOK ON THE PLANET! Face it – it was was the right wing corporate machine that put you into the position you are now in and they are getting richer by the minute while scaring people with their utter nonsense. Please please put partisan hatred away and open your eyes to the lies your top 5 percent are feeding you and literally laughing all the way to THEIR banks! Before your once great country implodes. And guess what? They couldn't care less!

March 14, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  24. Oust Republicans In 2012

We are all hoping, dreaming, and energized that Sarah Louise Palin might get the Republican nomination for the GOP. That will save the DNC so much time, money, and effort in getting Obama reelected in 2012. The laughing stock of the world actually thinks she has a chance to win the most important job in the free world, and her followers, the dolts of American society, are dumb enough to put her on a presidential ticket... let them dare!

March 14, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  25. Rsprings

Rev Mkell, Says
    Sarah Palin has united most of America! Were united in laughing at her and the stupid things she says!
    Sahah Palin syas
    I'm laughing at you on my way o the bank

March 14, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |