Clinton says no to second term
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her visit to the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on March 16, 2011.
March 16th, 2011

Clinton says no to second term

(CNN) – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told CNN's Wolf Blitzer she does not want to serve a second term as secretary of state or run for president of the United States.

Blitzer sat down with the former 2008 presidential candidate in Cairo.

Full transcript:

Q- If the president is reelected, do you want to serve a second term as secretary of state?

Q- Would you like to serve as secretary of defense?

Q- Would you like to be vice president of the United States?

Q- Would you like to be president of the United States?

Q- Why not?

Because I have the best job I could ever have. This is a moment in history where it is almost hard to catch your breath. There are both the tragedies and disasters that we have seen from Haiti to Japan and there are the extraordinary opportunities and challenges that we see right here in Egypt and in the rest of the region. So I want to be part of helping to represent the United States at this critical moment in time, to do everything I can in support of the president and our government and the people of our country to stand for our values and our ideals, to stand up for our security, which has to remain first and foremost in my mind and to advance America's interests. And there isn't anything that I can imagine doing after this that would be as demanding, as challenging or rewarding.

Q- President of the United States?

You know, I had a wonderful experience running and I am very proud of the support I had and very grateful for the opportunity, but I'm going to be, you know, moving on.

Q- I asked my viewers and followers on Twitter to send questions and a lot of them said, "Ask her if she'll run in 2016 for the presidency." A lot of folks would like to you to do that.

Well that's very kind, but I am doing what I want to do right now and I have no intention or any idea even of running again. I'm going to do the best I can at this job for the next two years.

Watch the full interview on CNN's "The Situation Room" at 5 p.m. ET.

1. Darth Vadik, CA

How MANY TIMES are we going to mount this horse that won't ride CNN???
    HOW MANY TIMES????
    Stop exciting Conservatives, it is not like they need more excitement and hate since the Presiden is not a old white guy...

...oh yes, Hilary Clinton is NOT running for President, she'll run in 2016 and mop the floor with Mitt, or Huckabee, or whichever other freak decides to run again and agian and again (with the same results....BTW that is AKA insanity)

March 16, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. The reality is...

She lost her credibility when she said she was being shot at. Why do people just outright lie about things when they know others can/will find out the truth? No big deal, some say, and I wouldn't trust them either. Goes for Dem.,Repub., and Independents. We need people of integrity to run the country – if any can be found!

March 16, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. WiredwierdinSF

We really need a leader right now in this country and as flawed as she is, she is not nearly as clueless, incompetent and inept as this Kenyan village idiot we have in there now. Hope he got his NCAA brckets done before he and the family jet off to Brazil for spring break. I am sure the golf courses and parties will still be there when he runs up more deficit for us in Brazil. There he goes corrupt union thugs that stole the election for him.

March 16, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. ConservaFascists/F.U.B.A.R.

She may have answered no to all of the questions, but I can see her becoming V.P. and Joe Biden becoming SecStat.

March 16, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. Ken

I was not a big fan of Hillary, but she has been a tremendous Sec of State. She has served Obama and the country well. A pure class act, showing integrity and expertise.

March 16, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Rsprings

Yeah right. She can't announce now....I think there is a likelihood that the Dems may ask Obama no to run for a second term. He hs demonstrated he is not a leader much less a world leader. If Obama does not run..there will be a draft Hilary movement within the Democratic party.

March 16, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. ellid

I hope to God this FINALLY shuts up the PUMAs. I am so very, very sick of them insisting that Clinton was either jobbed out of the 2008 nomination or is secretly plotting to primary Obama in 2012/run in 2016.

March 16, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. Suzy

Hmmm I don't think there will be a 2nd term....just sayin!

March 16, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. Brian, NJ

She'll run for 2016.

March 16, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. Realistic

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is what the republicans would like to have on their side, educated, kind and knowledgeable. But instead they have Palin who is un-educated, mean spirited and vindictive and a media troll.

March 16, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  11. wert

Q: Would you like to be President of the United States?
    A: No.
    Q: Why not?
    A: Because I'm over matched at even this level. I would have never gotten anywhere in politics had I not been able to ride my husband's coattails.

March 16, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  12. mrlgh

There's one tired human being there....

March 16, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Pretzel Logic

Wow, that's disappointing. She's been a fantastic SoS.

March 16, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  14. Bea

That would be a shame. Hillary deserved far better than the vitriol doled out against her by the left and the media in 2008. I still think that she would have been a great president. Her choice not to run again is more our loss than hers.

Godspeed, Hillary. Thank you for all the years of service to the nation.

March 16, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  15. Peter McFarland

I imagine Secretary Clinton is working very hard and has our best wishes for success in her efforts and future plans. She has much to offer and it appears women will have more opportunities to lead, that is a good thing.

March 16, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. Randy, San Francisco

All Americans should thank Hillary for serving this country so well with distinction and honor.

March 16, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  17. LIP

Hillary Clinton has done as excellent job and put a great deal of effort and her life into making her performance successful. We can only hope that she changes her mind and performs some kind of public service...perhaps a Senator again if not Sec of State or President.
    Don't leave us hanging Hillary!

March 16, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  18. Henry Miller, Libertarian

Rats. Sinking ships.

March 16, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  19. Boo-Yah

She's such an intelligent and class lady. She represents the U.S. well. The position of Secretary of State is such a grueling, demanding and difficult job in these times that very few people could last a whole term let alone 2!!! You certainly know Palin wouldn't have lasted 1/2 as long!!!!! Hillary would have made a great president but she know that the the w/ the BS in congress she wouldn't be as affectual as she would like to be. Too bad.

March 16, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  20. Bill

Pity. Hillary would make a great President.

March 16, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. TigerLily194

Say it isn't so........ the one true, honest, respected, and brillant person I have seen in the last 4 years has been Hillary. Please rethink your roll as a statesman and what you would bring to this country............... We need respected, non-abusive talking, straight forward person guiding this country............ You are smart and could probably out think any person thrown at you.............. I am sorry you are thinking of not running..... YOUR TIME IS HERE AND NOW................ RUN HILLARY RUN !!!

March 16, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  22. U. B. White

I thought I saw Blitzer up her rump. No problem their Nanny State has gov. healthcare. They devastated our industrial base, steel, cars, electronics, Etc. Boo Hoo Nancy. Pass the hat for Detroit and Flint, not them mo'fo's. Our military did not show up in Gulf or New Orleans for weeks. Hang da commie, perverse traitors now. Oh yeah, I ain't jokin.
    Attn: 9-11 Deniers (traitors).

THIS IS DEDICATED TO GOP LOOSERS WHO LICK IT IN MENS ROOM, LOVE THEIR BURKA WEARING FRIENDS & WHO ALSO LOVE COMMUNISM. F DEMS TOO. GOD BLESS AMERICA.
    WHO TOLD AIR FORCE TO STAND DOWN ON 9-11? WHO RELEASED THE 5 ISRAELIE AGENTS THAT THE NEW JERSEY POLICE ARRESTED FOR BLOWING UP TWIN TOWERS? WHO ORDERED THE BOMB SNIFFING DOGS OUT OF TWIN TOWERS 1 WEEK BEFORE 9-11?
    WHO ORDERED TERROR DRILL BY FEMA 2 DAYS BEFORE 9-11 IN MANHATTAN? WHO CLOSED NSA ON 9-10?
    WHO KILLED PAT TILLMAN & DESTROYED THE EVIDENCE? WHY DOES THIS GOVERNMENT ARREST INNOCENT AMERICANS, TASER THEM & KILL THEM FOR DISSENT OR LOOKING INTO THE EVIDENCE OF 9-11? MY NAME IS ON THIS IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT, DON’T CRITICIZE ME JUST ANSWER QUESTIONS. REMEMBER TRAITORS WILL FALL HARD. I NOTICED A VERY FEW NASTY CRITICS, APPARENTLY THEY DO NOT LIKE FREE SPEECH. ONE PIECE OF ADVICE, I AIN’T MICHAEL MOORE, I AM FROM DETROIT & LIKE MY BOYHOOD IDOL JIMMY HOFFA I GOT TWO FISTS & ATTITUDE TO MATCH, SO UNLESS YOU GOT 9 FRIENDS PACKING & PRE-ARRANGED FUNERAL, DON’T WASTE THE GAS, CAUSE I WON’T BREAK A SWEAT. OH YEAH DON’T FORGET YOUR BABY SEALS FROM BLACKWATER. LET’S PARTY, PERSONALLY I LOVE VIOLENCE, BUT I DON’T PICK ON WEAK, JUST CRIMINALS.

March 16, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  23. Ernst

Do people really consider Hillary Clinton a good S.o.S.?

March 16, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  24. John

Finally, a straight answer from a politician! And I believe her!

March 16, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. mobrule

bull, it's a smoke screen, if the dems are smart, they'll send obama back to chicago and have hillary run for prez in 2012

March 16, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |