Clinton says no to second term
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her visit to the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on March 16, 2011.
March 16th, 2011

Clinton says no to second term

(CNN) – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told CNN's Wolf Blitzer she does not want to serve a second term as secretary of state or run for president of the United States.

Blitzer sat down with the former 2008 presidential candidate in Cairo.

Full transcript:

Q- If the president is reelected, do you want to serve a second term as secretary of state?

Q- Would you like to serve as secretary of defense?

Q- Would you like to be vice president of the United States?

Q- Would you like to be president of the United States?

Q- Why not?

Because I have the best job I could ever have. This is a moment in history where it is almost hard to catch your breath. There are both the tragedies and disasters that we have seen from Haiti to Japan and there are the extraordinary opportunities and challenges that we see right here in Egypt and in the rest of the region. So I want to be part of helping to represent the United States at this critical moment in time, to do everything I can in support of the president and our government and the people of our country to stand for our values and our ideals, to stand up for our security, which has to remain first and foremost in my mind and to advance America's interests. And there isn't anything that I can imagine doing after this that would be as demanding, as challenging or rewarding.

Q- President of the United States?

You know, I had a wonderful experience running and I am very proud of the support I had and very grateful for the opportunity, but I'm going to be, you know, moving on.

Q- I asked my viewers and followers on Twitter to send questions and a lot of them said, "Ask her if she'll run in 2016 for the presidency." A lot of folks would like to you to do that.

Well that's very kind, but I am doing what I want to do right now and I have no intention or any idea even of running again. I'm going to do the best I can at this job for the next two years.

Watch the full interview on CNN's "The Situation Room" at 5 p.m. ET.

1. U. B. White

She wants to be with Chelsey's father Janet Reno.

March 16, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Mama

I think Hillary realizes that her gig is a bit more that she expected????Glad she realizes that and will hopefully move on into private life and relax for a while. Huge undertaking with so many issues and problems right now.

March 16, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. JohnOBX

She's been a humble star of this administration. During the primaries I was ambivalent about supporting Clinton, but if she ran for any office I'd be behind her 100%.

March 16, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  4. Howard

A truly classy lady and a terrific Secretary of State. Her wishes notwithstanding, I hope the President can prevail upon her to continue serving her country at State or Defense.

March 16, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  5. The Veteran

I love Hillary. And if she runs in 2016, she will have my vote over any conservative at this point. As a true Christian, there is no way to reconcile their (conservative's) philosophy and actions with Christ, and His teachings.

March 16, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  6. Sean

I was one of those Obama supporters who was somewhat angry at Hillary Clinton after the bitter primary. But, to see the job she has done as Secretary of State, I've become one of her biggest fans. I certainly hope she is just being coy about 2016 for now, because I can't think of anyone who would do a better job.

March 16, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. Robert

Wisdom from a gifted public servant.

March 16, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. geecee

Hillary Clinton is doing a fine job as our Secretary of State. She has two more years to go, and the fact that isn't quitting mid-term says a lot about her character. It is a very difficult job indeed and a thankless job, to be sure. I wish her all the best in the future and can certainly understand why she would want to take a break from such an exhausting position. I do wish that she would reconsider 2016, however. We can use a SMART woman in the White House at some point and Heaven knows there aren't too many of those considering a run for President at t his juncture!!

March 16, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. Smiley Gladhands

Hillary doesn't want to serve a second term as Sec. of State because she has finally recognized that she has failed miserably during her first term...

March 16, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. Janice Morrow

Isn't that what she said when she was elected Senator? Just asking...

March 16, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. Jimmy Stewart

She will not serve a second term because she stinks as Secretary of State and she stinks as a politician period. Hillary can't just cruise in politics anymore because there are real problems and she never had real answers. She just rode the wave of her husband's presidency.

March 16, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. phyllis

Ms. Clinton has done a very good job so far, and she will in the next two years, she has left. I can understand her feelings, on not staying on, she has worked her butt off. Hillary is a good person, and I wish Hillary, and President Clinton well. peace out.

March 16, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. DigitalBob

She'll go back to her previous job of brow-beating satan.

March 16, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. Kent

The country thanks her for leaving.

March 16, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  15. A Mom

This cements it. Obama is a one-term president. Hillary will see to it.

March 16, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  16. Jeremiah

This is sad to learn: aside from Ms. Clinton, there are few individuals in leadership roles who lack vitriol.

March 16, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. chuck

I would like to know her thoughts on the amendments to the gutted constitution to be voted on in Egypt on Sunday. Should they have thrown out the entire constitution and started over? Was gutting it enough? Is she aware that one amendment says that any future presidents wife must be Egyptian? This was in response to Mubarek's wife being of Welsh descent. Does this rule out women running for president? If it does, what kind of twisted form of democracy are they looking to adopt? Can it be called democracy in any way, shape, fashion or form if women are left out of this seat of authority?

March 16, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. Marc Reed

Thank God.....

March 16, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  19. Marge

Why is this a story she told the people NO she was not staying for a second term about three or four months ago. i don't blame her. I wouldn't want a second term under Obama he lied to us enough. We Democrats are going to have a darn hard time believing what he says again. But we will hold our nose and vote for him, Look what the bunch of absolute crooked, corrupt, creepy, greedy, dictator wanta bes have done already. They sure as Hades won't get a second term most of them will be lucky they are allowed to finish their first. Recall Recall Recall Impeach Impeach Impeach.

March 16, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  20. carl6352

democrats days are over. over spending and giving america the finger was the problem. it did not help to ballon the deficit and a president who likes to take world tours like its a national lampoon movie. lets see he has been to every continent with family in tow on tax payers dime. dont let a civil war or a nuclear melt down mess with his tours. the show must go on you know. the sooner you people stop fondling this guy the faster you will regain your status.

March 16, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. Adela

Basically , the left wing elitist ideologue from CNN, ( Wolfie boy) offered her these jobs, pleaded with her to at least consider these jobs, as if it was only a matter of her accepting them and any of those jobs would be hers.....
    Dream on leftist elitists...
    This is not 1980 or 1990, this is 2011 and the grip of the old media on the american people is gone.
    We get our news from the internet and talk radio, and we are sick of your left wing elitist propaganda.
    Hillary could hand hers and go home for she is not going to get elected to any political position anytime in the future.
    I`m surprised Wolfie boy didn`t offer her the option of becoming president of the world, in desperation...

March 16, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. MTB

WHAT? You mean the "smartest" woman in the world is not going to run for President? Say it ain't so......how will we survive....waaaaaa

March 16, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. Kris

Too bad- I really like Hillary.

March 16, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. caesar

that kid next to her certainly has a creepy look on his face. I wonder what the guy next to him is thinking??

March 16, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  25. Doug W.

I can't blame her for not wanting to take the blame for Obama's incompetence, or for not wanting to clean upo the mess after him.

March 16, 2011 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |